Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,639,896 times

Advertisements

We are really thinking hard here to get out of Dutchess County. It's not the place we grew up at all anymore. The taxes are going through the roof and utilities here for my home(cape cod 2000sqft) hit a record this month of over $800! Central Hudson stinks.

We'd like to move to a less crowded area in NY and less costly. I drive a school bus-10 years experience. Have a degree in hospitality and tourism. Hubby's worked as a concrete dispatcher/sales/weighmaster for 20 years. Not a clue where to start. Need a good school system-preferably with field hockey.

We locals here are just getting priced out completely-salaries in Dutchess aren't near enough to keep us afloat anymore. Would prefer a area that's homes are not McMansion sized and still have small town feel.

Suggestions? Possible employers that are in northern NY/Western NY we could look into?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 04:59 PM

525 posts, read 2,348,736 times
God, sounds like LI-to a tee! It is such a shame isn't it? I can't help ya with schools or employment but I can say this from experience: If you are fealing the way you do, take the plunge and make a change. It is hard work (selling, packing, moving, adjusting) but in the end your peice of mind, mental health, and a renewed positive outlook on the future is ALL WORTH IT.

I have empathy, I have been there. Go for it. Set a plan, take your time, put things in place, cross your fingers, and never look back!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,899,370 times
campingmom...I feel your pain...we moved to dutchess in 1998 when you could by a home on a newlyweds salary (what we did)...less than 170k we bought our raised ranch that was only 4 years old!

But now two kids and one on the way later....we actually NEED a bigger home...and NEED to be closer to dh's work..so we are thinking of rockland or orange...I am open to even NJ if its makes sense. I actually dont mind the retail outlets comming in, I just wish their was more industry so people could actually WORK up here and AFFORD it up here.

I feel that its unfortunate that people continue to get priced out of homes.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 PM

287 posts, read 1,459,089 times
Orange isnt going to be much better and rockland will be more expensive. I am in Orange now and going south to S.C. we simply cant afford it here anymore.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,899,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
Orange isnt going to be much better and rockland will be more expensive. I am in Orange now and going south to S.C. we simply cant afford it here anymore.
Yes its going to be expensive..but at least it will cut the commute time in 1/2.

And we had a chance to move to Columbia, SC last year...but after the visit...we just felt that it would be TOO much of a culture shift for us.

Charlotte would be more metro..but columbia, would have been too drastic.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM

We've been looking into the Myrtle Beach area ourselves since we've been going there for almost 10 years on vacations-last year we spent 3 weeks down just looking at places within 40 min of the area. Definitely a big savings in terms of housing costs, but salaries are much lower. Taxes were squat compared to here for the size of the homes. I just don't want to live in a HOA.

Hubby works now in Goshen and we'd looked there when he started over there 5 years ago. Prices are the same as here and not what we wanted. We've been looking into the Milford, PA area, but taxes are just as high as around here now. It's either up towards Clifton Park or higher, west towards the Finger Lake Region or just out of NY altogether.

The one HUGE thing that's holding any of this up is that I have a elderly Mother next door-she's 83. She won't budge. She's lived here in NY since 1953 when my parents got married and moved here-she's from NC, my late Father was from VA. There's no other family other than me. If I leave and something happens, then I am the shmucky daughter that left her alone. I have no siblings and all the relatives live in NC-but very few of her generation are still here and she's stubborn. I've even offered to buy a Mother-Daughter and pay all expenses-no go. There's just no end in sight for us right now.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 PM

18 posts, read 104,975 times
i keep writing so i hope i dont sound repetative- but why not tuxedo park ny - please see our home for sale on the mls...665k in tuxedo park ny. it sounds like the perfect fit for you

Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Alyssafaith why would I go to Tuxedo Park? I live in Dutchess County. Sorry, but it's overpriced for us. I have a house here. I want out to an area that's more rural, not urban anymore. I want cows, stars and birds. Not sirens, people, traffic jams on Rt.9. I want away from Wallyworld. We aren't even making it living here now-can't afford a home priced like yours if your live and work IN this area-only if your a commuter. We are natives here-we are getting forced out.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:32 PM

172 posts, read 845,692 times
Well, you could always look into some of the smaller cities upstate. Many of them are still quite affordable, and the commutes aren't that bad. Or, you could work as a school bus driver for a larger city, and live in the smaller rural communties half an hour away (I'm from Syracuse, so an example I might use is Syracuse and Cazenovia/Tully/Southern Oswego county. But look around, there's a lot of cities to choose from). If you can get a job arranged in upstate, you'll be sitting pretty.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM

518 posts, read 2,010,338 times
Lightbulb Do yourselves a favor and check out previous threads

that include Plattsburgh........If you are looking for excellent schools and can drive a school bus, and hubby is in construction, you will find some excellent, very affordable homes up here and it is growing, but at a modest pace.......People are wonderfully friendly and the sports programs here for children are just amazing. In a previous thread (How much is enough in Plattsburgh) we all commented on how we have shops and cities within range, and the college is here bringing in lots of NYC people who stay, plus there is Montreal an hour to the north and Lake Placid an hour to west and Burlington Vermont, less than hour to east............This place is what you dream your kids get to experience for a childhood..........they can actually walk home without you freaking out about kidnappings, or drive-bys, and neighbors are truly neighborly, and houses are still affordable. It is colder than where you are now, but today my younger daughter went skiing all day at a little ski area and had a fabulous time.......no hassles and great exercise. Just a suggestion.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York