U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 PM

8,760 posts, read 9,934,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

FL is ok if you don't have to make a living and can sit inside for 7 months out of the year in A/C and then enjoy a pleasant winter doing outdoor activities.

And BTW FL comes in at #47 out of the 50 states for students completing high school.
I love how these myths keep on getting perpetuated. Does the NYSUT keep telling you that?

State Education Rankings: Graduation Rates for High School, College, and Grad/Professional School, Page 3 of 13 - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Quote:
High School Graduate or Higher: 84.9% (Ranking 33)
Florida actually does have good schools, contrary to your and other's opinions. The important thing is to send your kid to the right school, in the right district. This is no different than other states, even NY. When I was in CNY, people would send their kids to private schools if they didn't live in certain districts because of their concern for the quality of the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM

52,652 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I love how these myths keep on getting perpetuated. Does the NYSUT keep telling you that?

State Education Rankings: Graduation Rates for High School, College, and Grad/Professional School, Page 3 of 13 - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Florida actually does have good schools, contrary to your and other's opinions. The important thing is to send your kid to the right school, in the right district. This is no different than other states, even NY. When I was in CNY, people would send their kids to private schools if they didn't live in certain districts because of their concern for the quality of the schools.
What people sent their children to private schools that lived outside of the Syracuse City schools stated it was due to quality? What SD's did they live in?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What people sent their children to private schools that lived outside of the Syracuse City schools stated it was due to quality? What SD's did they live in?
People who live around nedrow, the valley and onondaga hill. They all said that they would have sent their kids to public school if they lived in the JD or FM school districts.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Also, that percentage includes GED's and the residents that live, including transplants. That's not the grad rate for the HS's there in 4 years.

Also about thw people in CNY, if they lived in the Eastern suburbs, I doubt it was due to quality. Same for most of the districts west of Syracuse too. I can see with the Northern suburbs due to district size, but even they graduate their HS's in the 80's in terms of percentage. South of Syracuse is generally good in terms of districts too.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM

QUOTE=chopchop0;17735029]People who live around nedrow, the valley and onondaga hill. They all said that they would have sent their kids to public school if they lived in the JD or FM school districts.[/quote]

Well, the Valley is in the city of Syracuse. So, like I mentipned, I can see that. Nedrow is in the Onondaga Central SD and while there are better suburban SD's generally, their grad rates are above state and national averages. Onondaga Hill, I doubt, as you can go to Westhill, West Genesee and further out Marcellus and Onondaga Central. All are good to some of the best in the state. Maybe they needed to do more research.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

707 posts, read 1,257,927 times
Quote:
Many people who move to FL unless they're retired and can sit inside all day in A/C will tell you they made a mistake.

Especially if they have school age children. You take a 9th grader from NY/NJ and put them in a FL school and they're bored out of their minds.

The problem for many former NY/NJ residents of working age becomes an economic one. They move to FL thinking it will cost less(and to be fair it does) BUT the salaries are much lower.

The problem with FL now is the COL (groceries have always been expensive) keeps going up but the salaries remain low.

So even people who want to move back can't sometimes because they're just scraping by in FL. And home values have sunk so low and there are so many foreclosures it makes selling a house impossible.

FL is ok if you don't have to make a living and can sit inside for 7 months out of the year in A/C and then enjoy a pleasant winter doing outdoor activities.

And BTW FL comes in at #47 out of the 50 states for students completing high school.

Sorry but ChopChop just doesnt want to admit it that places are better than Florida.

P.S i hate how i can never give you rep points.

Are you secretly related to me?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Sorry but ChopChop just doesnt want to admit it that places are better than Florida.
where did I not admit that? That's not even the point of this thread!

The fact remains that NY and NJ have some of the highest property taxes in the country, and that's what the topic of this thread is. Stop trying to make things personal and deflect from the topic at hand.

Last edited by chopchop0; 02-05-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,674,547 times
Where on earth does your information come from?

State Education Rankings: Florida Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 5.7% (Ranking 20)

Failed to Graduate High School: 15.1% (Ranking 19)

High School Graduate or Higher: 84.9% (Ranking 33)

Associate's Degree or Higher: 34.1% (Ranking 27)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 25.7% (Ranking 27)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 9% (Ranking 26)

Source:
State Education Rankings: Graduation Rates for High School, College, and Grad/Professional School, Page 2 of 13 - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

The rest of your posting is totally inaccurate, untrue and simply false.

Quote:
Many people who move to FL unless they're retired and can sit inside all day in A/C will tell you they made a mistake.

Especially if they have school age children. You take a 9th grader from NY/NJ and put them in a FL school and they're bored out of their minds.

The problem for many former NY/NJ residents of working age becomes an economic one. They move to FL thinking it will cost less(and to be fair it does) BUT the salaries are much lower.

The problem with FL now is the COL (groceries have always been expensive) keeps going up but the salaries remain low.

So even people who want to move back can't sometimes because they're just scraping by in FL. And home values have sunk so low and there are so many foreclosures it makes selling a house impossible.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,674,547 times
The problem with NY State is the state wide poverty, unemployment and teen pregnancy problems.

The taxes are the highest in the U.S.

See what your own governor says.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,952,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The problem with NY State is the state wide poverty, unemployment and teen pregnancy problems.

As far as teen pregnancy is concerned Florida is consistently right around #5 ........ last I saw NY was like 17

As of Dec 2010 NY's unemployment rate was 8.2% ........... Florida's was 12%

NY's poverty rate is 14.2% ......... Florida's is 15%

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/saipe/saipe.cgi (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York