U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,068,622 times

Advertisements

And in the 8 years I've been in this house, my property/school taxes have gone up over $1,500. I don't know what they will be when the next bill comes this summer. I don't really want to know. I already pay $6K and see nothing for it. I can't even get my street plowed! And god forbid you have a problem and call the police. You'll be waiting at least 30 minutes for them to show up.

We don't even have school buses! So why do my school taxes go up like a hot air balloon? Beats me. The test scores suck to be blunt. Most kids aspire to go to the local community college for grade 13 and do nothing except collect welfare like their family.

Yeah it's just peaches and cream here in NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,721,468 times
Lots of opinions and ideas. However, I still don't get what the OP says - why are property taxes in NY the highest in the nation and how can we reduce them, if NY is currently in such deficit. Can someone elaborate and explain? (Please no corrupt politicians arguments, I heard that million times). I'd like to see a point by point list, without sidetracking to DMV charges, boats, ATV etc. When were property taxes jacked most significantly?
As for attracting new business - I don't know about any state in the NE that attracted new businesses in the last decade, regardless of taxes. Most new business development took place in the "sun belt". CT, MA, NJ, MI, were all passed by developers, who preferred instead AZ, TX, FL, etc.

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-14-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,051,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Lots of opinions and ideas. However, I still don't get what the OP says - why are property taxes in NY the highest in the nation and how can we reduce them, if NY is currently in such deficit. Can someone elaborate and explain? (Please no corrupt politicians arguments, I heard that million times). I'd like to see a point by point list, without sidetracking to DMV charges, boats, ATV etc. When were property taxes jacked most significantly?
As for attracting new business - I don't know about any state in the NE that attracted new businesses in the last decade, regardless of taxes. Most new business development took place in the "sun belt". CT, MA, NJ, MI, were all passed by developers, who preferred instead AZ, TX, FL, etc.
One word:

Medicaid

NYS Counties pay for NY's Medicaid system.

In order for counties to pay this mandate, counties need to raise property taxes.

One example, my county......Onondaga County's property taxes could be halved if it didn't have to pay into the State Medicaid program.

New York's Medicaid program is the most generous in the nation.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-16-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
I am considering moving from Utah to Rochester, but I find your property taxes are out of sight. What I pay for one year in property taxes would barely cover one month's assessment on a home purchase in NY State. If I do relocate, I will rent and not buy, which is a shame because I would like to become more of a permanent resident.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM

655 posts, read 1,987,641 times
Default Welfare Costs

I complained about my town & county taxes increasing by $200 this year and was told that it's the Welfare Costs. I paid the taxes and walked out of the office boiling angry. I personally know of two unemployed white sisters, one 29 yrs. old and the other 26 yrs. old, who are un-married and one has 2 illegitimate children and the other sister has one illegitiment child and she is trying to get her Military Recruiter boyfriend to marry her. (He'd have to be crazy). Both these women work part time (and say they don't have jobs) as bartenders and get paid "under the table". So much for the Onondaga County Social Services investigating fraudulent welfare payments. Both these women are fully capable of working; why aren't the authorities taking away those welfare payments. If these welfare people spend their time "entertaining" and having illegitimate children, I think they are capable of working a 40 hour week. Yeah! I know! It's easier for them if all of us pay their way through life. Why don't we all go on welfare. Oh. That's right. I don't qualify for welfare; I only qualify for PAYING WELFARE! Today I was told about another Family (told by this Family's relative) who is collecting welfare payments and food stamps and special education tutoring for one child. They own 4 acres of woodland where they have a mobile home "camp", an All Terrain Vehicle at their "camp", the husband bought a classic Corvette for cash one year ago, and everyone in the family has their own cell phones including the 3 kids. Okay, you better take your blood-pressure medicine right NOW or go out and get REAL drunk to forget about all these welfare cheaters. Our county (and other) governments are utterly incompetent!!

Last edited by grdnrman; 01-29-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM

8,760 posts, read 9,946,389 times
It's because New Yorkers like their "services"

Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 AM

52,710 posts, read 75,602,776 times
People have keep in mind that the RATES are some of the highest. Meaning that for what you pay in property, the taxes are high. With that said, the overall costs of living is still average to below average in Upstate NY.

Bellafinzi makes a great point about Medicaid and there was an article yesterday in the Post-Standard(Syracuse) about this. Much of this cost goes to NYC.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People have keep in mind that the RATES are some of the highest. Meaning that for what you pay in property, the taxes are high. With that said, the overall costs of living is still average to below average in Upstate NY.

Bellafinzi makes a great point about Medicaid and there was an article yesterday in the Post-Standard(Syracuse) about this. Much of this cost goes to NYC.

How much help someone gets from Medicaid in New York state depends on where they live | syracuse.com

Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM

995 posts, read 2,327,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I like NY but I am realistic and like to live not survive something that wouldn't be an option up there. Gas averages 30 cents less, we have very limited to no tolls on the roads. We do pay taxes on food and clothes but the cost of these goods is significantly lower so we still come out ahead.
Reminds me of the conversation I had with my mom the other night. She doesn't understand why I moved out of Brooklyn. I said "Mom unfortunately you have no idea how overinflated goods are in the NYC metro area." I have friends who own houses in PA and don't pay anything close to what I pay for my house in the hudson valley and have equal services and decent schools.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Reminds me of the conversation I had with my mom the other night. She doesn't understand why I moved out of Brooklyn. I said "Mom unfortunately you have no idea how overinflated goods are in the NYC metro area." I have friends who own houses in PA and don't pay anything close to what I pay for my house in the hudson valley and have equal services and decent schools.
You could say the same thing for Upstate NY as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York