U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM

8,760 posts, read 9,946,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Lousy schools , less than stellar health care.

And the COL keeps going up while the salaries remain stagnant.

I spoke with someone who works at an office job in hospital, she told me she is making what she did in the 1980s when she lived in CA.

And to Chop Chop, FL is unbearable from May to well to sometimes well into November with oppressive heat and humidity.

So instead of snow keeping you inside it is the hot weather.
Link? Florida schools are about average when you look at metrics like HS graduation rates and test scores. Many FL high schools are actually quite good

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I would say that $ for $, FL has a more efficient education system than what you will find in NY or NJ, which has some of the highest per pupil spending in the country.

And to each his own. I'd rather have hot and sunny than cloudy, cold, and snowy myself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM

52,714 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Link? Florida schools are about average when you look at metrics like HS graduation rates and test scores. Many FL high schools are actually quite good

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I would say that $ for $, FL has a more efficient education system than what you will find in NY or NJ, which has some of the highest per pupil spending in the country.

And to each his own. I'd rather have hot and sunny than cloudy, cold, and snowy myself.
Keep in mind that is based on percentage of students that take AP courses. In the NY list, it includes schools that have lower grad. rates, but because they have an IB program, they are included. There are some good schools left off of the NY list as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, for whatever it is worth, FL has 7 pages of schools versus 9 for NY.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-02-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that is based on percentage of students that take AP courses. In the NY list, it includes schools that have lower grad. rates, but because they have an IB program, they are included. There are some good schools left off of the NY list as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, for whatever it is worth, FL has 7 pages of schools versus 9 for NY.
NY also leads the country in per pupil spending, leading to things like the point of this thread, high property taxes, particularly in relation to the value of the property.

NY also has a slightly higher population (500K-1 million or so more), so keep that in mind as well.

I would say that overall though, states like NY and NJ spend a whole heck of a lot more than everyone else on education, and it's not clear that all of that spending leads to proportionally better outcomes.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
NY also leads the country in per pupil spending, leading to things like the point of this thread, high property taxes, particularly in relation to the value of the property.

NY also has a slightly higher population (500K-1 million or so more), so keep that in mind as well.

I would say that overall though, states like NY and NJ spend a whole heck of a lot more than everyone else on education, and it's not clear that all of that spending leads to proportionally better outcomes.
That population difference is very slight and you also have to consider that an urban school district(NYC public schools) make up a very high percentage of the student population and schools in the state. so, that can skew things considering that most urban SD's aren't necessarily the best in the usual measures of school performance. You also have a higher ESL student population in NY in terms of percentage as well. You also have to look at standards for teachers too. Can't forget the amount of special education students that are in NY schools as well. It will cost quite a bit of money when those things are considered and if you want to get said students up to speed. Families have their part to play as well though.

BTW-NJ has had some of the highest grad. rates in the country at times and Florida many times has been pretty low, if not one of the lowest in the country.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That population difference is very slight and you also have to consider that an urban school district(NYC public schools) make up a very high percentage of the student population and schools in the state. so, that can skew things considering that most urban SD's aren't necessarily the best in the usual measures of school performance. You also have a higher ESL student population in NY in terms of percentage as well.
FL has a growing hispanic population. Care to provide links that NY is actually higher?

Quote:
BTW-NJ has had some of the highest grad. rates in the country at times and Florida many times has been pretty low, if not one of the lowest in the country.
Wrong again

State Education Rankings: Graduation Rates for High School, College, and Grad/Professional School, Page 3 of 13 - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

FL

Florida Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 5.7% (Ranking 20)

Failed to Graduate High School: 15.1% (Ranking 19)

High School Graduate or Higher: 84.9% (Ranking 33)

Associate's Degree or Higher: 34.1% (Ranking 27)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 25.7% (Ranking 27)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 9% (Ranking 26)

NJ

State Education Rankings: New Jersey Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 5.6% (Ranking 21)

Failed to Graduate High School: 13.1% (Ranking 26)

High School Graduate or Higher: 86.9% (Ranking 24)

Associate's Degree or Higher: 40.1% (Ranking 8)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 34% (Ranking 5)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 12.7% (Ranking 6)

NY

New York Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 7.1% (Ranking 9)

Failed to Graduate High School: 15.9% (Ranking 18)

High School Graduate or Higher: 84.2% (Ranking 34)

Associate's Degree or Higher: 39.8% (Ranking 11)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 31.7% (Ranking 9)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 43.6% (Ranking 4)

As you can see, all 3 states are in the middle of the pack, yet FL is spending a lot less per pupil. Seriously, if you are going to make statements like that, at least back them up next time.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,954,472 times
Quote:

FL

Associate's Degree or Higher: 34.1% (Ranking 27)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 25.7% (Ranking 27)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 9% (Ranking 26)

NJ

Associate's Degree or Higher: 40.1% (Ranking 8)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 34% (Ranking 5)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 12.7% (Ranking 6)

NY

Associate's Degree or Higher: 39.8% (Ranking 11)

Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 31.7% (Ranking 9)

Graduate/Professional Degree: 43.6% (Ranking 4)

The categories that I left in your original post show that NY & NJ are clearly using a curriculum that helps students succeed beyond high school while Florida is just pushing the kids through the system with no real care what happens to them beyond the 12th grade. As a parent the curriculum is much more important to me than the other categories.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
The categories that I left in your original post show that NY & NJ are clearly using a curriculum that helps students succeed beyond high school while Florida is just pushing the kids through the system with no real care what happens to them beyond the 12th grade. As a parent the curriculum is much more important to me than the other categories.
Then by all means, continue to live in NY or NJ and pay all those taxes, if you feel that you are deriving a good benefit from them. I feel otherwise.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Actually, that info. doesn't say anything in terms of if that is within 4 years and could include those with GED's. Also, your site shows that beyond HS, NY and NJ have higher percentages of those with higher ed. degrees. Take a look at MD, MA and CT too.

Nationally, I believe about 70% of HSers graduate in 4 years.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM

707 posts, read 1,258,741 times
I think something that has not been mentioned is that in NYS you can not get a Highschool Diploma if you were homeschooled. In Florida you can. In Florida you can also do virtual school and get a diploma (so easy to cheat seeing as how my Husbands sister did such)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, that info. doesn't say anything in terms of if that is within 4 years and could include those with GED's. Also, your site shows that beyond HS, NY and NJ have higher percentages of those with higher ed. degrees. Take a look at MD, MA and CT too.

Nationally, I believe about 70% of HSers graduate in 4 years.
More info.: Understanding High School Graduation Rates (updated July 2009) | Alliance for Excellent Education

Education Week: June 11, 2009

Public High School Graduation Rates by State, 2002-03 School Year

High School Graduation Rates in the United States | Table 1

HigherEdInfo.org: Public High School Graduation Rates

Indicator 18 (2010) Public High School Graduation Rates (http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/2010/section3/indicator18.asp - broken link)

Again, NYC public schools have a great influence over the percentage when you consider that they account for about 40% of the public schools in the state give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York