U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM

8,070 posts, read 9,735,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I think something that has not been mentioned is that in NYS you can not get a Highschool Diploma if you were homeschooled. In Florida you can. In Florida you can also do virtual school and get a diploma (so easy to cheat seeing as how my Husbands sister did such)
Same thing in NY

How to Get a High School Diploma in New York | eHow.com

Quote:
If you'd prefer to obtain your diploma online, a good reference to search for online programs is education-portal.com, which will provide you with a list of institutions that offer online diplomas accredited in New York state.

The fact of the matter is, there are good high schools in BOTH states, but FL taxes you a whole heck of a lot less.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I went to one of the top schools on the list in FL, and have done quite well afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

51,974 posts, read 74,558,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Same thing in NY

How to Get a High School Diploma in New York | eHow.com

The fact of the matter is, there are good high schools in BOTH states, but FL taxes you a whole heck of a lot less.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I went to one of the top schools on the list in FL, and have done quite well afterwards.
You also have to admit that NY has quite a few more schools on that list as well, with all due respect to those schools in FL.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

8,070 posts, read 9,735,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You also have to admit that NY has quite a few more schools on that list as well, with all due respect to those schools in FL.
So the fact that NY has 9 pages worth vs. 7 pages worth of schools in FL means that NY has a better education system?

Right.

Sorry, I care about my bang for the buck when Im paying taxes, and the relative increase in taxes in NY does not equate to that much better of a school system IMO.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,933,618 times
Quote:
Then by all means, continue to live in NY or NJ and pay all those taxes, if you feel that you are deriving a good benefit from them. I feel otherwise.

The schools here are so much better than the public schools in Texas (where I use to live) that the taxes just don't even bother me. In fact if I had stayed in Texas I would likely be paying more as the property taxes are also very high in most areas plus you have a higher cost for homeowners insurance (mainly due to the chance of being in the path of a hurricane or tornado, which Im sure is the same for Florida) and I would also likely have to send my kids to a private school just to get them the education they get here for free.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM

719 posts, read 1,256,729 times
Here's another point on "you get what you pay for":
It may come as a surprise but TX has no public lands for hunting.
In NYS there are 1000's of acres of public land for hunting for residents at no cost which the state manages.
I'm currently debating spending $1500 for a deer lease for next season. In NY I'd pay just my hunting license, which costs about the same as here in TX.
Pretty big chunk of change extra here. I hope NY hunters know what a great deal they get.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 AM

5,688 posts, read 12,725,947 times
Quote:
Then by all means, continue to live in NY or NJ and pay all those taxes, if you feel that you are deriving a good benefit from them. I feel otherwise.
Thank you, we WILL continue to live in NY/NJ, pay taxes and BE HAPPY. With your NY/NJ bashing it sounds like you chose to live in the land of heat, humidity and foreclosures but aren't very happy. You should be posting the positive attributes of FL instead of beating on those of us in NY/NJ who are perfectly happy here. All the statistics in the world can't change where a person chooses to call HOME.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
So the fact that NY has 9 pages worth vs. 7 pages worth of schools in FL means that NY has a better education system?

Right.

Sorry, I care about my bang for the buck when Im paying taxes, and the relative increase in taxes in NY does not equate to that much better of a school system IMO.
My point is that there is more quality, eventhough that list is flawed, in NY. Again, the stats are going to be skewed when the biggest school district in the US, which happens to be an urban school district, accounts for 40% of the stats for the state. Outside of NYC public schools, the stats increase dramatically, as outside of the 3 big city SD's in Upstate, it is very rare to find a school district that isn't graduating at least 60% of it's kids in 4 years. I know of only 1 other school district that has done that recently in the state, of the top of my head and even in those 3 Upstate SD's, there are some very good schools and programs within them.

Also, in terms of taxes, you also get services that the taxes pay, that in FL you have to pay HOA's for. So, you pay for it in one way or another.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM

22,770 posts, read 24,988,919 times
Well, here's an outside opinion. Here in North Carolina, the biggest expenditure for local governments, is PEOPLE. Their salaries, their benefits, their retirements, and their health insurance.

What I've noticed, is that paying these people more money does not give us better services from government. It just gives us higher-paid bureaucrats, and having the highest-paid bureaucrats is nothing to brag about.

If you want better services from government, you have to cut spending on people (especially those at the top), and spend that money on capital investments. That's when you start getting your money's worth from government -- when the taxpayers' money is going towards more asphalt, not towards the boat payment of the guy who drives the steamroller.

Last edited by le roi; 02-04-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,933,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My point is that there is more quality, eventhough that list is flawed, in NY. Again, the stats are going to be skewed when the biggest school district in the US, which happens to be an urban school district, accounts for 40% of the stats for the state. Outside of NYC public schools, the stats increase dramatically, as outside of the 3 big city SD's in Upstate, it is very rare to find a school district that isn't graduating at least 60% of it's kids in 4 years. I know of only 1 other school district that has done that recently in the state, of the top of my head and even in those 3 Upstate SD's, there are some very good schools and programs within them.

Also, in terms of taxes, you also get services that the taxes pay, that in FL you have to pay HOA's for. So, you pay for it in one way or another.
Good points CK. It also should be noted that when you are living in Florida trying to judge NY's taxes based on "reports" its impossible to get the full story as things like the services you mentioned as well as water & garbage removal are free to homeowners in some towns as its considered part of those services that your tax bill pay for. The STAR program, which can save you a lot on property taxes, is also something that people tend to overlook (or don't know about) when discussing NY taxes. They get hung up on the tax rate but fail to realize that 1) houses are cheaper here (in Upstate) which tends to even the tax issue out when comparing it to low tax high value areas & 2) you can use a program like STAR to knock up to 60K off the assessed value of your home (which you likely already got a very good deal on) which in turn will save you even more on your taxes.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Good points CK. It also should be noted that when you are living in Florida trying to judge NY's taxes based on "reports" its impossible to get the full story as things like the services you mentioned as well as water & garbage removal are free to homeowners in some towns as its considered part of those services that your tax bill pay for. The STAR program, which can save you a lot on property taxes, is also something that people tend to overlook (or don't know about) when discussing NY taxes. They get hung up on the tax rate but fail to realize that 1) houses are cheaper here (in Upstate) which tends to even the tax issue out when comparing it to low tax high value areas & 2) you can use a program like STAR to knock up to 60K off the assessed value of your home (which you likely already got a very good deal on) which in turn will save you even more on your taxes.
Also, if you are a veteran, you can get a reduction in taxes and if you are retired military, they do not tax your retirement income, if I'm not mistaken. You can also challenge your assessment, but many people fail to realize that as well. Then, you have some villages in which you can pay very low energy rates like Fairport, Solvay, Saranac Lake, Philadelphia and Sherrill(actually a city), among some others. New York Power Authority: About Us

So, it pays to do your research as to what you can do to reduce costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York