Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 PM

275 posts, read 791,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1988 View Post
My town (Ossining) spends about 21,000 per student per year.
WOW!!! Why doesn't the town just give parents the money and let them find a private school. Has to be cheaper than $21K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,257,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Florida's high teen pregnancy numbers (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/floridas-high-teen-pregnancy-numbers-11162010 - broken link)

CDC REPORT ON TEEN PREGNANCY:

NYS is in lowest ten. Florida ranks just under Top ten.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db46.pdf
Looks like being trapped indoors half the year is starting to pay off for the NE.

When you consider just about all of them babies will grow up on welfare with a new generation every 12-15 years some states are headed for real trouble.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM

92,613 posts, read 122,930,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1988 View Post
My town (Ossining) spends about 21,000 per student per year.
Westchester County's cost of living has a lot to do with it. How else are teachers going to afford living in the area? With that said, that does seem high even for that area.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,540,754 times
Anyone living in Upstate NY is not really affected as anyone living in NYC or the suburbs near NYC.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 AM

19,133 posts, read 16,957,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Westchester County's cost of living has a lot to do with it. How else are teachers going to afford living in the area? With that said, that does seem high even for that area.
I have hear that argument for most of my life. Where is it written that you should be able to live where you work? Does that mean custodial staff and other support positions are paid a living wage for where the school is located?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have hear that argument for most of my life. Where is it written that you should be able to live where you work? Does that mean custodial staff and other support positions are paid a living wage for where the school is located?
Good questions, but my point is that it speaks to the COL in that county. I'm sure support staff get paid relative to the area's COL. I'm wondering as to where else would these people live?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,336,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good questions, but my point is that it speaks to the COL in that county. I'm sure support staff get paid relative to the area's COL. I'm wondering as to where else would these people live?
Exactly. I can't imagine a custodian making a long commute to Westchester for a very low wage. Just wouldn't make sense, if they are able to find work close to home.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 AM

19,133 posts, read 16,957,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Exactly. I can't imagine a custodian making a long commute to Westchester for a very low wage. Just wouldn't make sense, if they are able to find work close to home.
First I like the presumption that nobody in Westchester would work as a custodian requiring someone to commute in.

But back to the original point where is the cut-off on salary? I remember the argument when I was in school and most of our teachers lived outside the county. We hear it a lot in Virginia teachers argue the cost of living in Fairfax and other localities outside DC. They (the teachers) make the decision to accept the positions up there even though the cost of living is much higher and the salary is only a slight bit higher than most of VA. Believe me there would be plenty of applicant's even if the salary was brought out of the stratosphere. Teachers would accept a lower wage just to save and agravation of cummuting somewhere else..

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
It's simple, our taxes are so high because most politicians only care about getting re-elected! Couple days ago I wittenesed to people out side my local grocery dumping out cola bottles they had just bought with their benifits card so they would have money to go back in and buy cigs! It kills me to stand in line with a little basket of groceries only to wait for some lazy slob checking out a heaping cart of steaks and name brand groceries they bought off my tax money. I am all about people getting a little help when they need it but it has become a job for the majority of these people. Generation after generation of welefare is killing us in NYS! And what does our state officials do, they give them cell phones and buy them cars! Wow! I own a small business and seems like every day NYS is hitting us with another "fee" of some sort to help fuel this maddness. Makes me sad that I am learning to hate this once great state. It is out of control.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus123 View Post
It's simple, our taxes are so high because most politicians only care about getting re-elected! Couple days ago I wittenesed to people out side my local grocery dumping out cola bottles they had just bought with their benifits card so they would have money to go back in and buy cigs! It kills me to stand in line with a little basket of groceries only to wait for some lazy slob checking out a heaping cart of steaks and name brand groceries they bought off my tax money. I am all about people getting a little help when they need it but it has become a job for the majority of these people. Generation after generation of welefare is killing us in NYS! And what does our state officials do, they give them cell phones and buy them cars! Wow! I own a small business and seems like every day NYS is hitting us with another "fee" of some sort to help fuel this maddness. Makes me sad that I am learning to hate this once great state. It is out of control.
Welcome to America. If anything, corporate welfare is probably "killing" this and other states more than the stereotypical view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York