Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 28,772 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We will relocate in NY and I would like to know if the Clarkstown North High School is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
The best? That's pretty subjective. But Clarkstown North High School is well-rated, and quite prestigious. It is certainly "one of the best" in Rockland County.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM

33 posts, read 189,564 times
It depends on who you ask!LOL
Seriously, Clarkstown North and South, Pearl River, and South Orangetown school districts in Rockland county are the best and any one of them your child will get a great education. Statistically each year a different one of those mentioned has been the #1 district. You have to look at the statistics on each and see what programs each offers and fits well with your child. Also, don't just go by statistics. Go see the school, talk to parents in the area and of course get advice here! The only negative I know of Clarkstown North is it is known as the school where all the rich, stuck up kids go, LOL. I know a few not so wealthy kids who went there and had a hard time because they didn't drive a Mercedes and wear designer clothing. A lot of "keeping up with the Jones" goes on there. My husband went to Clarkstown South and North and South hated each other!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 189,564 times
Not sure if this is allowed but there is a great site to check out school statistics. It is:
Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
There is another great site but it won't let me post a link. If you do a google search for "school reports" it's the 5th site from the top.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
Yes, there is a "North" and "South" rivalry, but all in good fun. No violent gang fights.

As to the "keeping up with the Jones's" and supposed wealth of Clarkstown -- It is not a poor area, and certainly has it's share of affluence. That said, it is also not an ultra affluent area overall, and includes plenty of straight-out middle class. Overall, it leans upper-middle-class, but not rich. Sure, you might find a few luxury cars in the student parking lot, but I don't suspect it would look like an episode of Beverly Hills 90210.

Desnik did identify the 4 most prestigious high schools (contained in the 3 most prestigious school districts). That said, Nanuet and Ramapo (NOT East Ramapo) are also well-respected. Even Nyack and North Rockland have their pros. Unfortunately, East Ramapo has become a school district only servicing the lower class. Though the school district has middle class and even upper class residents, they all send their kids to private schools.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 35,669 times
While Clarkstown North is a great school I completely agree with the comment about "keeping up with the Jonses" it IS a rich/affluent area- maybe not "Westchester rich" but the students do drive luxury cars and wear designer clothes and have a sense of privilege. Not necessarily a reason not to move there- just something one might want to be aware of.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I graduated from CHSN in 1980 and at that time it was the 3rd best performing high school in the state. I was an awful student however but I got better post high school . I couldn't thrive academically in an environment where if your average was less than an 88 or 90 you were considered a burnout or worse(and I didn't even use drugs or drink)

Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Norths nick name in my day (70's)was Rah Rah High and i don't think it has changed much. Little diversity an aging building and and arrogance. As Desnik mentioned Great Schools.net will allow you to make an educated decision. If diversity is what you want look elswhere.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,138 times
moving to Rockland from the UK....what should I know about Clarkstown South vs North? And how dreadful is the commute to NYC these days?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM

197 posts, read 636,180 times
stay away from Clarkstown north or south, everything is overpriced and the people are stuck up. and the kids are junkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: