Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,685 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning to make a big move within the next year or two and are considering our options in the NY area. He is from NJ originally and has family in Saratoga Springs, but I'd like a second opinion from someone other than family. I will be graduating in May from a 4-year university, with a B.A. in Photojournalism. I know that the economy is tight right now, but I'm willing to take whatever I can get, so long as I get out of Los Angeles and into a quiet, peaceful new town--with real seasons! I was looking at Cold Spring, that area looks very nice, but maybe too pricey.. My boyfriend is a writer, aspiring to open his own restaurant one day. We're basically very simple people, animal and nature lovers, who want to get out of this chaotic town, but still have access to the city for work. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl4 View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to make a big move within the next year or two and are considering our options in the NY area. He is from NJ originally and has family in Saratoga Springs, but I'd like a second opinion from someone other than family. I will be graduating in May from a 4-year university, with a B.A. in Photojournalism. I know that the economy is tight right now, but I'm willing to take whatever I can get, so long as I get out of Los Angeles and into a quiet, peaceful new town--with real seasons! I was looking at Cold Spring, that area looks very nice, but maybe too pricey.. My boyfriend is a writer, aspiring to open his own restaurant one day. We're basically very simple people, animal and nature lovers, who want to get out of this chaotic town, but still have access to the city for work. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
Here are some off-the-cuff suggestions...if you want some grit, try Poughkeepsie or Newburgh, but stay in the safe areas. If you want a hippie/artsy vibe, try Sugar Loaf or New Paltz.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 AM

50 posts, read 139,078 times
A friend of mine who is really into music moved from the Woodstock area to Saratoga Springs and loves it. Another friend moved there and loves it. I want to go back to Woodstock but they moved and are very happy with their decisions.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
Take a look at Nyack.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Depending on how far North you want to go, I would also suggest Ithaca, the Park Ave. area of rochester, the Westcott Street area of Syracuse, the Elmwood Strip/North Buffalo areas of Buffalo and the Lark Street area of Albany. Saratoga springs in a nice community and I think you guys would like it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,685 times
Thanks everyone, what a great help!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
check out downtown Saugerties, also.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 AM

15 posts, read 37,300 times
well it really all depends on what your looking for.. i mean if your looking for a real nice community and depending on how far you want to move. pottersville is beautiful. Chester town is beautiful and also lowe ville is another very nice place. its peaceful and beautiful.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 AM

15 posts, read 37,300 times
well it really all depends on what your looking for.. i mean if your looking for a real nice community and depending on how far you want to move. pottersville is beautiful. Chester town is beautiful and also Lowe ville is another very nice place. its peaceful and beautiful.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 16,475 times
Check out Rhinebeck..very artsy, great places to eat, nice main st.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York