U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-16-2009, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,681 times
Default Is there a terrorist training camp in Hancock New York

Just saw this:

HEARD THERE WAS A GROUP IN HANCOCK NEW YORK. IS THIS TRUE?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnjHzatMPk]YouTube - Homegrown Jihad 35 Islamic terrorist training compounds in America[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-17-2009, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,655 times
Default True

Yes, this is true and very scary. You can watch a clip of it on foxnews.com. They aired it last night on the Hannity show. Go to their website and check it out.

Unread 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM

107 posts, read 279,860 times
No its not true. If Hannity is barking about it, you know its over-hyped BS.
God forbid a group of Muslims goes and lives in solitude someplace. They must be terrorists!!!

My Dad lives about 20 miles from Hancock and is in tight with the hunting and fishing (i.e. the redneck) crowd there and he reports that the local Muslim community is by all accounts decent people. They pay their taxes, they send their kids to public school, they otherwise keep to themselves.

What they have going against them is that they are predominantly black, they don't worship Jesus, and other members of their religion on the other side of the world do very bad things. These are not remedial deficiencies for Hannity fans.

Unread 02-22-2009, 12:07 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,298,171 times
If you want the shock of a lifetime go to Lackland AFB in Texas.While I was a member of the Air Force 1992-1999 on one side of the base were areas where they trained some of the foreign troops (all from the middle east). I ran into many foreign troops there and it usually was easy to spot them. In the US our generals have 4 stars at most,the middle eastern countries uniforms have loads of shiny things and numerous stars,etc...

Last edited by Lancet71; 02-22-2009 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Unread 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,630 times
[url=http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48868]Probe finds terrorists in U.S. 'training for war'[/url]

Unread 12-12-2009, 05:06 AM

Haha.. The World Nut Daily. A step down from the National Enquirer, but hey, at least it has a kooky Christian Nationalist spin to every thing.

The headline reads..."Probe finds terrorists in U.S. 'training for war'
Yet the article says...
"Although no activity of extreme significance was observed (the presence of armed sentries guarding the perimeter of the compound excluded) during this period of surveillance, it was obvious that measures to insure that the activities taking place at this location were well insulated from public view," the report said.

Sounds just like a mega-church in Colorado Springs.

You know, if I were a Muslim and there were extremist nuts accusing me of being a terrorist simply because I lived with others of my religion, I dressed differently than the local rednecks, and my skin was brown... well I'd post armed guards too.

Unread 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 22,004 times
This is a very ironic thread if you ask me. How quickly some of us forget what happened on 9-11 and how "normal" these people were prior to flying planes into buidlings and killing thousands of Americans. Doesn't it strike people as very "logical" for terrorists to fit in and be "normal?" I am not saying these people are terrorists, so don't get me wrong. However, it is a little difficult for someone to say that since they pay taxes and send their kids to public schoool that they can't be terrorists. Again, how quickly some of us forget 9-11 and those who perpetrated it. In fact, let's talk about the 5 "normal" Northern Virginia students just arrested in pakistand for trying to join radical groups over there to fight the US. Just one month ago they were "normal" Northern Virginia college students...and paying taxes too!!!

Unread 12-15-2009, 05:46 AM

When you have no point to make, I guess the best thing to do is say "9-11" a couple of times to get people worried.

My point, aacopd, is that before people run around accusing people of being terrorists, maybe they should provide some evidence. So far, the only evidence is they are muslims (gasp!) and some anonymous hearsay out of a rightwing tabloid that cars with out of state plates often visit. Shocking!!!

The only irony found in this thread is that if these people were white and christian, the nuts would celebrate their religious retreat as good clean and wholesome. And the fact that they are otherwise normal, law abiding citizens would reinforce that.

But because these people in Hancock are not white and christian, they must be terrorists!!! And the fact that they otherwise have decent standing in their community is possible evidence that they are blending in.

Look, I have no idea what these people aspire to. For all I know they could be up to no good, but my point is that there is absolutely no reason to think so. So I'm not going to get all worked up about it. If you want to accuse people of a crime just because they share a religion with other criminals, Moderator cut: inappropriate . But I certainly won't.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-15-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Unread 12-19-2009, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 22,004 times
Hey, if you read what I said we agree that there is no reason to believe they ARE terrorists..and i agree that their religion or ethnicity certainly doesn't make them terrorists. I was only pointing out, whether you like people referencing 9-11 or not, that the mere fact that they pay taxes and send their kids to public school does not mean that they AREN'T terrorists either...wouldn't you agree based on the simple logic that even people with ill intent need to appear "normal?"

Unread 12-20-2009, 08:58 AM

6,281 posts, read 7,128,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
My point, aacopd, is that before people run around accusing people of being terrorists, maybe they should provide some evidence. So far, the only evidence is they are muslims (gasp!) and some anonymous hearsay out of a rightwing tabloid that cars with out of state plates often visit. Shocking!!!

The only irony found in this thread is that if these people were white and christian, the nuts would celebrate their religious retreat as good clean and wholesome. And the fact that they are otherwise normal, law abiding citizens would reinforce that.

But because these people in Hancock are not white and christian, they must be terrorists!!! And the fact that they otherwise have decent standing in their community is possible evidence that they are blending in.
I'm hardly a "neocon", but truth be told sometimes you really DON'T have evidence until it is too late. And "too late" in a thing like 9-11 was a disaster, imagine what something like that would be today with our crap economy and all. What I will grant is that unlike what was said, while the "9-11" terrorists did "blend in", they did not have wives and kids going to school and that may be a sign that this group is not "trouble".

I disagree that white and Christian would be treated completely different, the suspicion there would be that they are a neo-Nazi group, or something like David Koresh circa 1993, or the 1995 OK City bombers ('the original terrorists'), or that recent group in Texas where the leader fathered all those young girls' kids. Maybe the population at large would be less suspicious and more easily fooled because they seem "more like themselves", but I don't think the authorities would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York