U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 74,963 times
Default Moving to the Area Question

My wife and I are looking at a piece of rural property in the town of Mina fairly close to Peek N Peak Ski Resort in Chautauqua County. We are considering moving there full time. We have two young daughters who go to Catholic School now. It appear erie has some nice Catholic schols they could attend, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the area in terms of how safe it is to raise chldren, etc. I know they get a lot of snow and we all love snow. Also, what are the primary jobs for that region? Anyone who could take a minute and help me out would be appreciated. we are close to buying and just wanted to get some people's opinions who would really know the area. Thanks, Rick.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 PM

126 posts, read 234,738 times
good luck finding a decent paying job.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM

When I look at the cost of living up there versus where I live in Maryland now it appears a much lower salary could be tolerated versus what is needed in Maryland for the same standard of living. Thanks, though, for your thourogh input on the area.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,020,403 times
Well... Yes you will get a house for less, and the cost of living is lower (depending on the region of Maryland). But taxes are far more. Private schools are generally affordable in this area compared to others, but there are few. Now when you refer to Erie, are you referring to Erie, Pa., or Erie County NY? Mina to Erie County is quite a drive, have you mapped that out?
What field do you work in? I switched jobs about 6 months ago so I have an idea what industries are here.
Quote:
Thanks, though, for your thourogh input on the area.
Gave me a good chuckle, but it is true, jobs are hard to come by right now. Where I work we are getting MBAs applying for jobs that only a HS diploma. There are few jobs in Western New York (usually referred to as WNY), that's why people have been moving away. Like most of the rust belt (area about from Syracuse, to Pittsburgh, to Cleveland) when the manufacturing jobs left, there was little to support the region.

One thing to remember, is Mina get about 120 inches of snow a year, and BIG storms, which is double what Buffalo gets.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. Here are some honest answers to your questions in hopes you might be able to offer a little more advice or opinions. When I mentioned Erie I was referring to Erie, Pa. That is only about 25 minutes from the land we are looking at. As far as larger towns it would be Erie, Pa or Jamestown, NY...I only assumed Erie would have more jobs. When it comes to snow I did research that quite a bit. The elevation of the land we are looking at is over 1600 feet and according to the Buffalo national Weather service I could expect, on average, 204 inches per year at that elevation. We are prepared, and actually excited about that. As far as schools go I was looking at Villa Maria and Mercyhurst, both in Erie. You are correct about Maryland cost of living. Housing is through the roof in Maryland. The lot we are looking at is 6 1/2 acres, 1/2 wooded, with a nice view and 15 minutes on a snowy day from the ski resort. That lot in my part oF Maryland couldn't be touched under 200K, and that is if you got a good deal. Now for the fun part... Jobs/career. My wife and I were both in Law Enforcement. She has a master's Degree from U. of Maryland and I have a B.S from Penn State. We both majored in Criminal Justice. We were both injured in the line of duty <not the same incidents> and both retired by the department on a line of duty pension. This pension is tax free and is for the rest of our lives. It works out to $66,000 per year tax free. I am no longer disabled in any way as a result of my incident so it would not effect any career decisions. My wife currently stays home with the kids and I work in a family business. The business is going good but with the economy the way it is and so many family members in the business, it is going to become necessary for one of us to leave the business. Obviously with my pension situation I am the most logical person to leave. However, I will likely to continue to receive, as kind of a severance package, $25,000 per year salary. Given my current financial situation, if we moved to Mina i would likely move in with about a $275,000 mortgage, based on the house we want to build, and absolutely no other debt. I calculate that with the pensions, the 25K per year and a $30,000 per year job we could be very satisfied.

After all of that long winded response, do you think a $30,000 per year job is attainable for me in that area? It would certainly not have to be in my degree field. I currently work, to a large degree, in management and customer service. Thoughts?

Last edited by schinz; 02-19-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM

372 posts, read 976,600 times
You could live very nicely in that part of NYS on your combined incomes. As far as jobs I don't know.
Times are tough everywhere regarding jobs but if you have special skills you'll find one I think.
Don't let the naysayers dissuade you from moving.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks...do you live in the area? I am wondering if it is a "nice" place to live. Like you said, I believe I could be a ski lift operator and still be ok financially, however, I feel I would do well in Hotel/Restaurant management and there are a large number of those entities in the Erie area. Is crime low in that area in general? Are the people friendly?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 AM

3,133 posts, read 5,267,799 times
Plenty of recent discussion of Erie in the general PA forum, might cross-post for additional input. OTBE property taxes are lower in PA vs. NY across the central and eastern Twin Tiers, though I don't have personal experience that far west.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 24 days ago)

30,362 posts, read 35,099,529 times
What about the Binghamton area or counties in the Eastern part of the Southern Tier?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM

3,133 posts, read 5,267,799 times
Corning, Elmira, Binghamton is relatively a snow shadow area - it's over the crest of the drainage divide so is shielded from the most intense lake snows. So if you're looking for SNOW, further north or west in NYS is the ticket - or far northwest PA, or the belt of higher terrain extending from west-northcentral PA to southeastern WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York