Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM

305 posts, read 1,001,440 times

Advertisements

I am a Newyorker, who made the mistake of moving south, for a better life - Please Helpppppppp!!!!!!!
My hubby and I have now decided to move back home, Upstate New York, we have a 10 year daughter who can't wait to get back home- so give us some advice. Where are the good neighborhoods in upstate new york 200 - 300 My hubby is looking to go to NYS Corrections or State Patrol and I have 20 years accounting, however, I am going into Nursing. I have about 1 year to go moving upstate to NY.

Things important to us
1. Good school system
2. A nice neighborhood where neighbors actually stick together - (that is not here in the south surprisingly)
3. A subdivision that has kids around my daughters age, she is the only 10 years old, and she wants to have friends -of course-but she is not desperate as she reminds me. LOL
4. An area not too far from NYC we want to be able to go into the city and then come home, to settle down.
5. What is the rental prices up that way

Please advise, we are extermely eager to move back and would like to start looking in some nice areas we hear about Hudson NY - Catskills area- let us know your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Maybe Orange County, which is the fastest growing county in the state. Good school districts there are Monroe-Woodbury, Cornwall, Pine Bush, Minisink Valley, Goshen and Warwick. Here's some information you might like:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Orange (broken link)

Hudson is in Columbia County, which is close to the Albany area too. Here's some information on that area:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=COLUMBIA&district=101 300010000 (broken link)

Hudson, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City Of Hudson: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Columbia County Chamber of Commerce

Columbia County, New York Homepage

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Columbia (broken link)

I also posted some information under this topic for you too:http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-counties.html

I hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,609 times
I think that Springwater, wayland is a good area they have the #1 school in NewYork and its a great area the people around here are great and super friendly. I moved here 2 or 3 years ago i love it but for us it is just way to far away from our family my father is sick and my hubbies mother is very sick and we are just looking to mover closer to them

Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 PM

197 posts, read 634,198 times
Orange County is good, but from almost everywhere in oc its atleast an hour to nyc with no traffic. stay away from monroe-woodbury as kiryas joel is growing 30 000 in one square mile and growing and its squeezing the taxpayers. chester is nice, stony point and suffern in rockland counties which are only 35 minutes away from manhattan. putnam county has some nice affordable areas too

Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Around Highland Falls/West Point could possibly work as well......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York