Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 30,219 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else is as eager to get the heck outta dodge as we are?? Plattsburgh and the surrounding areas have nothing and it s so depressed?? Sorry if I am eoofendinga nyone thats likes it here....I guess to each there own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,516 times
Default Does anyone else want to leave the Adirondacks

Kate,
We lived on Grace Ave for 12 years and after 12 winters and countless plowings and even a back hoe to get the snow off the hill we finally called it quits in 1996 and came to Asheville, NC
We love it here- last week we had 7 days of 70 degree and sunny days.
Plattsburgh is great because of the small town feel but oh - the phony sun that comes out is worse than a cloudy day.

if you leave you won't regret it

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
I have family members that want to retire up in the Adirondacks. Beautiful area.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

68 posts, read 331,108 times
Well I definitely know how you feel but it comes down to you and what you like! Im 22, lived in jersey my whole life and my gf and i cant wait to get out of this area when our lease is up in february. People are soooooooo rude and obnoxious here; everyone thinks "who they are" and always know someone and think theyre better than you. We pay $1700 a month for rent on a new apartment, car insurance is rediculously expensive ($450 a month for me with no points on my license), you get pulled over for doing 65mph in a 65mph zone and the cops reasoning is that you were acting suspicious because NO ONE does the speed limit, theres congestion and traffic absolutely EVERYWHERE, everything is over populated... Theres just so many mix-breeds of people. Im not racist but my girlfriend can't go anywhere without all the "street" blacks and mexicans verbally sexually harrassing her which is absolutely disrespectful and rude.

We cant wait to get rid of all this to relax and catch up with life. Everything is so fast-paced here and you never have time to do anything anymore like read a book or watch a movie in peace and quiet. I work in Elizabeth NJ and on a friday, it takes me 2 hours to leave work and get to the other side of town (which is only 2 1/2 miles away) and stand in line at 2 banks to make a 20 second deposit. Its just insane!!!

But anyway... we cant wait to get up in peace and quiet and enjoy eachothers company and nature or the snowfall. I dream about sitting on the couch watching the fire burn while it snows with a glass of wine everyday... It all depends on you and what you want. A lot of people love it here but you have to be able to keep up with it all. We're just at a point where we would rather set our own pace and not have to worry about what everyone else is doing all of the time.

There are some good things like all the shopping (we have a new outlet mall within walking distance of our apartment) , different restaurants, the beach, Atlantic City 45 minutes south, New York City, 45 minutes north, philadelphia 45 minutes west and the ocean and beach is right in the next town... But then again, how can you afford all these luxuries when youre paying 450 a month for car insurance, 1700 to live in a nice safe community, never mind food, gas, car and utilities!!! Its just impossible to make a descent life for yourself.

So, my advice is to find what kind of lifestyle you want to live and go for it!!! I just know I dont want to spend the rest of my life here and it sounds to me that youre looking for a little more... Do some research and go for it!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 AM

961 posts, read 2,502,661 times
....njstinks0622...I have relatives in the "Daks". The trick to living a decent life there is to have deep pockets when you move there, a secure-gov. job, or be getting some kind of monthly allotment. That's not the area to show up-looking for work. As for NJ..I used to have to go down there to fill-in 2 weeks(job) every July. The pace was hellish..$1700/m-rent?.ouch! By the way, we have a number of "homesteaders" from your state who have relocated to Tioga County(esp since 9/11).

Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM

68 posts, read 331,108 times
yeah were saving here now to move in a year so we should be in good shape... were actually looking an hour or less from syracuse. Im just going to transfer up to our agent in syracuse and work for them when the time comes. Shes a hair dresser and can pretty much find a job at any good saloon with her resume. As far as here goes... yes its hellish. so are the people

Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,046 times
Heh, I'm the opposite. I'm looking to move up into the ADKs. I love it up there. Absolutely beautiful. :] Unfortunately the job market up that way seems to suck especially. :/

Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katebBJ01 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else is as eager to get the heck outta dodge as we are?? Plattsburgh and the surrounding areas have nothing and it s so depressed?? Sorry if I am eoofendinga nyone thats likes it here....I guess to each there own!
The old saying "the grass is always greener in the neighbor's yard" applies here. You can leave the North country and find a more developed area with more people, more stores, restaurants but you will lose alot too. Alot of people down here wish they could live up in the Adirondacks or the Catskills!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,855 times
What are the outdoor "hazards" to be aware of up there? For example, when we lived in Texas, we had to watch out for chiggars and fire ants. I hear that in New England, you have to watch out for deer ticks (lyme disease). What are the things to watch out for up there?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Lyme disease is not only prevalent in New England. It's actually all over the US and Northern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York