Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,944 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if there are any cities in the Broome county area that look as run-down as downtown Binghamton? I think Elmira is also in a pretty bad shape, but was wondering if there are any others in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,716,381 times
Well, Binghamton is the only city in Broome County, so there's no competition there.

I think the general consensus is that Elmira is more run-down than Binghamton though. I'm a little too young to remember Agnes (1972) but I understand downtown Elmira never really recovered.

Corning shows much better than Elmira, both downtown and neighborhoods, probably almost wholly due to Corning Inc.'s investment in its hometown. Corning Inc. employment has its ups and downs though.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Elmira seemed to be more abandoned than run down, from the last time I was there about 5 years ago.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,716,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Elmira seemed to be more abandoned than run down, from the last time I was there about 5 years ago.
I think that's a good way to put it. It doesn't have the active scariness one often associates with, say, much of Detroit. It's more from a lack of money/pride to push things up more than vandalism tearing it down, and the obvious oversupply of housing and absence of commercial activity.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM

136 posts, read 377,928 times
my friends from canada say all of upstate ny looks like a disaster area.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM

61 posts, read 78,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
They haven't had all their downtowns destroyed by "diverity" yet. But they will!

BTW, most upstaters don't even use their downtowns anymore. Most of the houses and nearly all of the business and shopping are in the burbs. Judging a metro area by its downtown, when the locals never even go there, is silly.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM

30 posts, read 143,463 times
it needs a good Extreme Makeover http://www.picturehoster.org/storage/461.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
They haven't had all their downtowns destroyed by "diverity" yet. But they will!

BTW, most upstaters don't even use their downtowns anymore. Most of the houses and nearly all of the business and shopping are in the burbs. Judging a metro area by its downtown, when the locals never even go there, is silly.
Huh? Actually, Toronto is unofficially the most diverse city in the world. Montreal is up there too. So, that is way off.

Also, it depends on the size of the city as far as if the people shop Downtown. Here in Syracuse, it depends on what part of Downtown you are talking about too. So, that's not completely true either.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
Where are these friends from and where do they go in Upstate NY?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM

136 posts, read 377,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post

silly me, i thought if you lived in rochester you lived in rochester but now you are saying that you may live in rochester but you really don't for all intents and purposes live 'in' rochester its just a mailing address or a gps number to find your way home because even though you may drive around it on the loop or thru it or be known as a rochester resident you really are not because you didn't make any stops inside the city lines as that would destroy the whole logic of not living in rochester even though its kind of near by. i get it. thanks for the enlightenment. so when you live in rochester and people ask where you live do you say buffalo because next to rochester that would be the closest city to rochester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York