Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

16 posts, read 38,303 times

Advertisements

Sherman seems like such a nice liitle town in SW NY. Does anyone know if the poeple are really as friendly as they seem to be in Sherman? I am considering moving with my wife and kids to Sherman. We love the rural area and crime seems low. Everyone is so friendly when we've been there and they all talk like no one even locks their doors...that crime is almost non-existent. Anyone know the area first hand in this respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,292 times
I drive through there a lot. I can least attest that crime is rare out there, there are lots of Amish and farms, real estate is very low cost, it gets really pounded with snow (snowmobiling is huge), and the country side is very pretty. The village of Sherman I think is really interesting and unique, it looks like an old wild, wild west town. I don't think it's changed a whole lot in the past 100+ years.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Thanks, we thought the area was really beautiful also. We are just wondering whether our daughters would get bored or whether there would be enough for them to do in the area. I have a job in Hagerstown, Md that requires me to work only Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If I keep this job I can continue to gross about 110K per year, but I would have to drive 4 1/2 hours Thirsday morning, spend Thursday and Friday night in Hagerstown and come home Saturday around midnight. Then I would have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at home.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,814 times
I can't imagine making that drive in the winter every single week. I think it would be more than 5 hours. We're talking blizzard country. I grew up in Chautauqua county. It is a beautiful place to live, but a lot of kids get involved with alcohol and drugs due to boredom.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM

There is a chance that I may be able to cut that down to making the drive Thursday morning and coming home Friday night, which would give 5 full days at home before making the trip again. I know the snow is a big issue in the Winter time, but from my trips up there it seems they really know how to keep the roads driveable. As far as the kids go, I see the concern. That is one of my reasons for being on here is to try to find out what the kids do? Do they not have little league, dance lessons and girl scouts? I can't imagine Jamestown or Erie, both about 25 minutes away, don't have all the activities of a larger city? Where I live now the kids have friends over to play...would that not be similar to having kids over in Sherman? I do understand what you are saying but someone has to tell me why, with a little effort on a parent's part, that there wouldn't be plenty to do in Erie or Jamestown as far as activities and friends for the kids. Can someone in a very similar rural area enlighten me? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM

I think it isn't a problem at the elementary age when kids can participate in Girl Scouts, etc. but more of a problem for highschool and teenagers when all there is to do on a Friday night is go into the woods and drink. I think parents just need to be aware and make sure their kids have positive things to do.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM

trader, what is it in the Sherman area that is worth such a long haul, if you don't mind me asking? It is nice, but, outside of the snow, there are many similar areas like this in PA and MD as far as I know. Jamestown and Erie both offer pretty good activities, more so for Erie, and there is a popular ski resort in Findley Lake. But the haul to Erie or Jamestown is difficult in winter if you're not accustomed to winter driving. The roads are well maintained (though much of the east bound road is in very bad condition) but often they can't keep up and often you get crazy sideways blowing whiteout lake effect blizzards.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Krisps,
It is more of a quality/standard of living issue with us. I know taxes are high in NY, but believeme taxes are not that much different in Maryland where we live. On the money I can make in two days a week away from home we could greatly improve our standard ofliving in the Sherman area where housing costs are MUCH MUCH less. In addition, the whole family loves lots of snow and we love to ski as a family. I would also have 5 days a week to devote to my wife and kids at home that a lot of parents don't get. We have visited the Sherman area several times and skiied at the peek on many occassions. We love it up there. Jobs are tough to come by right now, especially one where I could work 2 days a week for that kind of money in a family owned business. The move would also, free upsome ofmy current salary that I currently get for three days a week of work for another family member who is hurting in this economy. By moving, I could take a 33% pay cut, have more time with the kids, and actually improve my standard of living in Sherman. It's a win for everyone, except of course, the normal stress that would occur with such a big move on the kids. Am I making any sense?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Yep, I understand. Quality of life and family time are good priorities eh? And I always love to hear from people that love snow, you have found the right place. By the way, this year, some spots in the area received in the 300" range, it was an amazing winter though it's really been mild and spring-like in March (which is unusual). Good luck.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 AM

I also wish you the best in your decision. I wasn't trying to discourage you. I think the benefits are obvious, but was just trying to point out some of the things to be realistic about. If we had the opportunity to move back to the area I would do it in a heartbeat, but I still have all my family there.

Here are some other things to consider. These people in the small towns in Chautauqua County have lived there for generations and it can be hard to be the newcomer. Most of them have family in the area and that is where most of their social time is spent. Also, it is an economically depressed area, most people that have college educations have to move to find good jobs. I'm not saying all, there are the lucky few that are able to find work in civil service and teaching, but you will also find the "hillbilly" element. The area is considered part of appalachia and there is a reason why. Really not trying to discourage you, just trying to paint the full picture so you can make a realistic decision and not be surprised.

Again, the drive factor, when we were in college my husband did an internship in Binghamton, NY and tried to drive home most weekends to visit. Those were some of the most dangerous drives he ever made in that winter. Some of them took 8 hours for a 4 hour drive.

You mentioned the property taxes. I would say getting an existing home is the best way to go. New homes are taxed through the roof. My sister owns an older home (and yes she paid like 1/8th of the price most people in other areas would pay), but she could practically re-purchase her home every 10 years for what she pays in property taxes.

I think if your kids enjoy skiing then that is a positive thing that they can stay interested in as they become teens and may help keep them out of trouble. Is there anyway you can try out your arrangement for a few weeks before making the commitment?

When we moved here to Connecticut we had the opportunity for the first time to not live in the 'burbs and live in a rural area, so I am definitely not against the lifestyle change that the rural area entails. I am just offereing my personal opinion on my experience with the area you are interested in. My husband has a long commute to work everyday but we are very happy with our decision and hope we never have to move again.

Also as a side note - the Sherman High School girls basketball team is headed to the state championship game this weekend!

Again, good luck with your decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York