U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,052 times
Default Best Elementary school in Dutches county

I'm thinking of relocating to wappingers, fishkill, town of poughkeepsie. what is the best kindergarten/elmentary school for my daughter in these areas? Is one school district better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 21 days ago)

30,306 posts, read 35,014,466 times
Check here:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Dutchess (broken link)

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,052 times
Thanks for the link. I was hoping to get some feed back directly from parents.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 AM

775 posts, read 1,566,890 times
We've dealt with two in the Wappingers District. I'd stay away from Myers-course we only go there for 1 year coming from our elementary school, but I found it to be too big. Also students that do come in for 6th grade only are given a hard time about not knowing the rules in that school. Only school my kids have ever been to that a principal threatened to suspend my child for bring a fork to school to eat a salad for lunch. A fork at Myers is considered a weapon. 6th graders also are told they are too old(11-12) to play on the playground-too old for swings? Give me a break. They have some nutty people running that school.

That being said, we love Fishkill elementary. It's the only school in the Wappingers District that is like it. Even with budget cuts and no buses for field trips, our kids can do trips because we are within the village limits and because we can walk to trips. They got to the Firehouse, banks, caroling at the holidays to business in the village, a UFO(Unbelieveably funny outfits) around Halloween and do a parade through the village. Plus, it's very family oriented. The principal-Dr. McNally is wonderful with students, teachers and parents. I also went to the school and my kids have spent the last 13 years there and it's been great. Their test scores are good and teachers really do take the time to make sure kids get it. It's a culture shock for our kids to go to other district building because the teachers there are SO different from what they get at our elementary school.

The only downside about any of our junior high schools in Wappingers is that the state still has them on lists for improvement-both are failing. We got to Van Wyck for 7&8th grades and honestly, I don't like what goes on at the school. Parents are made to feel very unwelcome. They have a ridiculous dress code that should be challenged in a court of law. It's discriminatory towards girls only. They have a website-go read it it's very enlightening. Wappingers Schools Home Page will give you all the information about the districts schools.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York