Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 12:36 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina moon View Post
No stickers or races sorry...I am a transplanted Brit residing in SC maybe I will try You uns hows that lol. Places in NY I have spent some time......nyc long island. See you should never make suppositions lol .
Oh you have to get up to upstate NY. It is beautiful and you would never even dream that you are in NY. Once you are north of Ulster county/Sullivan county you are in a whole nother state. A well kept secret - NY is really 2 different states. Upstate and downstate LOL! 2 seperate cultures.

Start with the lovely catskills and work your way past albany to the adirondaks- see the mansions, old revolutionary war forts and some of the views. Pristine lakes and apple orchards. Horse farms and wineries.

Ever see Last of the Mochicans? (sorry I can't spell tonite) That is typical upstate NY scenery. Wonderful and peaceful and simple. A few cities here and there, but mostly wide open spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
LOL....winnie it's funny you mention that movie, because i believe it was actually filmed in the mountains in North Carolina!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:03 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Ever see Last of the Mochicans? (sorry I can't spell tonite) That is typical upstate NY scenery. Wonderful and peaceful and simple. A few cities here and there, but mostly wide open spaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
LOL....winnie it's funny you mention that movie, because i believe it was actually filmed in the mountains in North Carolina!
Right! I fell in love with the scenery in that movie, and was sure it was filmed in Vermont. I did alittle research and discovered it was filmed in the Smokey Mountains in near Ashville, NC. I was STUNNED to read recently that the area where the movie was filmed is private land, and the owners have it up for sale.!!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
That is wild!

I always swore up and down that I knew the spot in NY that it was filmed.

Well the mountains in that movie look an AWFUL lot like a spot near hunter in the upper Catskills and I aught to smack those producers...I will never be able to watch that movie again without cussing...

Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
It was filmed on Lake James which basically runs between Marion and Morganton in the Foothills area of NC.
Used to live there.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Part of the movie was filmed at Chimney Rock Park which is up for sale.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Oh you have to get up to upstate NY. It is beautiful and you would never even dream that you are in NY. Once you are north of Ulster county/Sullivan county you are in a whole nother state. A well kept secret - NY is really 2 different states. Upstate and downstate LOL! 2 seperate cultures.

Start with the lovely catskills and work your way past albany to the adirondaks- see the mansions, old revolutionary war forts and some of the views. Pristine lakes and apple orchards. Horse farms and wineries.

Just had to say...Last of the Mohicans is one of my all time favorite movies. I have been to most of the locations the movie was filmed in on day hikes over the years, all in North Carolina

Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just had to say...Last of the Mohicans is one of my all time favorite movies. I have been to most of the locations the movie was filmed in on day hikes over the years, all in North Carolina
Have you ever seen, "the winter people"?
It was filmed up in Avery County. The transformed an entire little village, covered the streets with dirt, etc.
Pretty cool.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default Gee, no generalizations in that opinion!

Way to just completely classify an entire state. Your damnation of NC is as bad as anyone just saying New Yorkers are all criminals; your streets are dirty and everything is too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
The biggest reason is the schools in NC. Academically, they are way behind the northeast. Schools are way overcrowded, each county generally only has two or three high schools. The high school my kids would have to go to is 20 miles away. Schools have set up trailers outside for classrooms. Some schools are going to year round schools or bussing kids all over to make room. Yes property taxes are cheaper but I think it all evens out. If you want to live in a descent area, you have to live in a subdivision and will usually pay a hefty landowners fee. You have to pay a property tax on your vehicles every year, groceries cost more, salaries are less. Every day there are more and more people coming here, and the politicians and elected officials seem to have no idea how to deal with it. Another thing that is hard to explain, I guess I would just say there isn't as good a quality of life down here. Do you know what I mean? The people are way laid back and just don't seem to care about resolving everyday issues. If you are a northerner, you are welcomed in with open arms, as long as you don't say anything bad about NC, and don't try to change anything. Otherwise they'll tell you to go back where you came from. Which is exactly what I'm doing, and the sooner the better.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Honestly, it seems like everybody is moving to NC these days. I can't tell you how many people I have met in here in Michigan that tell me they're moving to NC after they graduate from college. I guess it's the new Florida. Who woulda thunk? Personally, I'm heading back to the pacific northwest; best area in the country in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York