Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM

64 posts, read 263,726 times

Advertisements

I thought this was the NY forum. You NC people seem to want it both ways. On the one hand you want things slow, laid back, and the same way they've been for a hundred years. On the other you think you have a world class area with above average native citizens(believe me, I've seen it and you don't have either). If you want to talk about how great NC is, go back to the NC forum where people might listen to your bull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM

50 posts, read 227,477 times
Lakeman, you're a prime example of why some people think that New Yorkers are rude jerks. I happen to have quite a few friends from New York, so I know that many people from up your way are wonderful, but I'm glad you've chosen to stay where you are.

I've read the rules of this forum, and don't remember seeing any restrictions on who could post where.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 PM

I just replied with the tone that I get when I post on the NC forum, "If you don't like it, go back where you came from". You are correct, it was rude, however I only get rude with ignorant people like yourself that have no idea what they are talking about. I will not be staying where I am because I live in NC right now. How long have you been living in NY?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Would you like to refresh my memory as to what I've said about NY to indicate that I know anything about it? I was there for 3 weeks about 25 years ago, and truthfully remember very little about any positives or negatives. Other than having friends from NY, I am definitely "ignorant" about that area. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't put anything negative about New York anywhere on the forum - with the possible exception of my previous post on this thread, and even that was directed only at you, not at the state. I've only tried to explain some Southern points of view.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 PM

I made no reply directly at you, but you had no problem directing one at me. I'm just doing the same thing as you, making a generalization about the south. All of the southerners on this forum talk about how much friendlier they are, and how they know how people from the north want to do things, and they've never even been there. You as well shouldn't believe everything you read or hear about. I can tell people in the north what it is like down here because I live here. I you don't like what I have to say then ignore me. If you have nothing better to do than read these forums and become offended by what they have to say, then I feel sorry for you. I'm just on here to give my opinion to people who haven't been here before. If they don't believe me, that's fine too and they'll find out for themselves.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Actually, I find these forums to be very entertaining. They offer an interesting look at the opinions of people from all around the country. If everyone ignored what everyone else had to say, then what would be the point of the forums at all? I also wasn't offended by anything you had to say. I don't know you and you don't know me, so how could you possibly offend me?

Maybe I should go back and read this thread from the beginning. I came in somewhere in the middle, and don't know what it is that happened to you that gave you such a negative view of North Carolina.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM

I've lived here for 18 months, that's what gave me the negative view.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsulliv4
I grew up on Long Island, lived in and around NYC for 30 years, and just purchased a house in the Raleigh, NC area two weeks ago. So far I love it.

Prior to this I lived in Georgia for four years, so I had a little experience with the Southern lifestyle going in. I think some of the negatives being discussed in this thread are valid, and I definitely don’t think that living in this part of the country is for everyone. But for me and my family it is great.

One thing I was very surprised to see left out of the NY/NC debate was the threat of terrorism. I don’t think you can have a real discussion about life in the New York City area without mentioning this along with crime, education, housing, etc. Perhaps this is a sad commentary on the times we live in, but it is a reality nonetheless.

Any thoughts??
My husband was in the city that day, lost acolleague, we lost some aquaintances...that is a quick summary.
It affected my husband profoundly. Let's just say that living so near Indian Point & with him having to go into the city everyday, we are not missing it. He has been in NC for 6 months now. The kids & I go in a few weeks. I know we are not immune from terrorism in NC but I feel we have better odds.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 PM

I read some of your earlier posts on this thread. You actually make some valid points. I agree with you that people who move here don't really know what they're getting into. It's not just a warmer climate - it's a different existence.

I also feel that some of the points you make are unfair. You seem to make a lot of generalizations based on your experience in one area of the state. I've never heard of Seven Lakes, so I don't know what has happened to you there, but all areas of the South - and even of North Carolina - are not necessarily the same. And yes, there is a lot of overcrowding in some schools, but this is largely due to the large number of people coming here from out of state.

I put a post on another thread saying that people should NOT move to the South expecting Utopia. I think many of them are having various problems wherever they are, and think that the move will solve all of them. It won't. In answer to someone's question about the weather in a particular area, I replied that it was extremely hot and humid in the summer. She responded, "Oh, good. I like warm weather." Well, I didn't say it was warm - I said HOT. Some people who have made up their minds to move seem to refuse to accept that there are going to be negatives. (I think this person was from California, so no, I'm not picking on New Yorkers.)

In my opinion, what it all boils down to is that different people like different things. You obviously don't like it in North Carolina, which is your perogative. That doesn't mean that the state is a bad place with ignorant people. I don't think that the South is perfect, but I do think that, for me and many others, it's a wonderful place to live.

(By the way - some friends who went back to New York for a visit last year brought me some fresh vegetables from an old neighbor's farm there. They were good, but no better than the ones we have here. Maybe you should find some new produce stands.)

Old 07-06-2006, 08:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
I think it is important to note that whether anyone is making a postive or negative about the area they are now, or were - they indicate the specific area...Lakeman - I believe you are in a more rural area that Charlotte or Raliegh and are from an area upstate that is night and day to where I am from on LI...

Fortunately we live in a country where we are free to chose wher we want to live...I believe there are postives and negatives to anywhere you want to go, but the positives should outweigh the negatives...

It is shame that these posts become bitter battles and insults...Each and every state of our country has good and bad, educated and un-educated, wealthy and poor...I do not believe in the general scheme of things one is better or worse then the other, you determine what is better or worse for you and what is important and what works best for you and your family and each individuals situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York