Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,848,234 times

Advertisements

Hey people, those young couples who have left New York for the south are not interested in bagels, pizza and the New York Yankees. We want affordable homes for young professionals, affordable state tuition for our kids and low taxes. You can't find any of that here in New York. All of my friends who I grew up with in Rockland County have all moved down south. Soon my wife and I will be joining them. So I can put up with being called a Yankee because here in New York we would be considered low middle income, even though my wife and I both are college graduates and young teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
There is nobody denying that the cost of living in the NYC area and the property taxes throughout NYS are very high and even oppressive...my point is that in another decade or 2, most if not all of thise "liveable" places down south that everyone is flocking to, ESEPCIALLY North Carolina, will face the same problems that NY has now. As nice and reassuring as it is to believe that you may be leaving these problems behind in NY....the reality of it is, you, your family members, friends and neighbors are all essentially just bringing them down there with you little by little. I've watched NC become more expensive, overcrowded, taxed, and out of control slowly over the past 12 years, and it is REALLY picking up speed now that the moderate trickle of transplants has turned into a flood of newcomers. Exhibit A: FLORIDA

Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
There is nobody denying that the cost of living in the NYC area and the property taxes throughout NYS are very high and even oppressive...my point is that in another decade or 2, most if not all of thise "liveable" places down south that everyone is flocking to, ESEPCIALLY North Carolina, will face the same problems that NY has now.

Maybe, but this begs the question: How much will the cost of living and property taxes rise in NYC and NYS over that same time period? I doubt they will remain static or go down. It will all be relative ..... still.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 PM

254 posts, read 1,140,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Hey people, those young couples who have left New York for the south are not interested in bagels, pizza and the New York Yankees. We want affordable homes for young professionals, affordable state tuition for our kids and low taxes. ........ So I can put up with being called a Yankee .......my wife and I both are college graduates and young teachers.
You are looking to the South for great reasons. Granted. And I too believe that New Yorkers are tougher than expecting the food to be the same. Yes, it will get hard after a while but You seem determined to make it around that one. Aside from the tax base, it really isn’t that much less expensive. Really. And the property tax is catching up at an alarming rate. There are so many little taxes and fees that add up and unless you are really really disciplined, there are so many more place to spend your money nowadays.
Now, the "Y" word. I too believe most NY'rs go with tough skin and couldn’t care less what they are called. However, If you live anywhere, you will have to do business with so many different people, groups, stores, business associates, local governments etc... and you will have to have regular communication and interaction with the same. When you find out that in spite of so many professional Northerners among you that you are still considered a minority or at least treated as a minority it gets very difficult to go anywhere and be treated as an equal. And given equal opportunity. The sly passing over you for someone less qualified gets annoying. The lack of promotions and the never ending "innocent" little reminders and jokes of where you are from begins to be a real road block to your well being and advancement. It is a finely tuned, time honored art form of undressing you emotionally and spiritually. Yes, there have been those few that have made it and you may be one of them but there wouldn’t be these long forums of so many different people saying much the same things if there really wasn’t something to this phenomenon. I wish you the best but please know, friend, that you have a New York to come home to anytime you want to return. You are welcome. Uncontested. And the humidity??? if the above doesnt change your mind, just remember, there is no "OFF" button to that heat. except to go from car to office to car to house. Repeat......

Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,665 times
yes, yes, si, si, si, I miss NYC...
every cell of my body misses it
I lived in Washington Heights for almost 4 years, and then had to move back to Europe (that's where I was born)
and God knows I miss it. I miss the salsa/merengue/bachata sounds you could hear 24/7, the block parties - here, in Europe, others would probobly call the police on you, if you decided to have a BBQ party right on the corner of an intersection... but there, in my beloved Heights, you could just do whatever comes to your mind, and noone would critisize you for that. instead, they'd probobly join you.

my heart goes out to what I consider my home -

God bless The Heights!

Last edited by LaMara169th; 07-10-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
Why couldn't you apply for US citizenship and stick around?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,665 times
papers weren't the reason i had to leave, it was a family matter.
but i'm planning to go back next year, and for good.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM

578 posts, read 3,077,943 times
My general take on things isn't:

* NORTH vs SOUTH
* NY vs EVERYWHERE ELSE

But more:

* Where you grew up VS where you moved to
* Where your family is VS where you currently live

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM

42 posts, read 136,186 times
It's only been a few weeks since we actually left NY, and it's going to be a process, as we sold a lot and bought a place that needs some work that's going to take time. We left with only what we could fit in a 15' moving truck and pulled one vehicle...so far, I'm going to say no way do I miss Ny. But I can say that if it wasn't about the economic depression and high taxes there we may not have considered leaving in the first place. Someday I may miss it, but I don't really think I could go back as long as times are so tough there.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 AM

302 posts, read 1,048,393 times
I couldn't stand Florida....Wanted Back to North East ASAP

3 1/2 years too long and numerous hurricanes, housing cost, insurance rates, population growth, traffic congestion, politicians not prepared for it, crime, violence, rudeness, ignorant drivers ( I swear the sun/heat has melted their brains ), two seasons...Hot and Even Hotter, taking two to three showers a day, the bugs ( I lived in NY for 30 years and never had a roach in my house until I moved to the plywood state) Fire ants are unreal and painful if bitten, school system is a joke!, Cops are taser happy, firefighters let everything burn to the slabs, teachers/coaches are sex preditors, English language is hardly spoken, too afraid to swim in fresh water due to alligators/snakes, you have to cut the fake grass at least twice a week due to the daily rain, lightining capital of the world (if house is hit..firefighters do not save), the state does not reconize any other states professional training or licensing, wages are just above minimum wage with housing/rent through the roof ( I'ld rather pay high tax and know the services I pay for are being conducted), the sun shines 365 days a year...did I mention the heat? Sorry I did, mold grows everywhere, can not drink the water from the tap...water is in a huge shortage, not a hill in sight unless it is an off/on ramp, toll boths everywhere, no fried fish joints for lent, Italian bread....for get about it!!

Sorry but YES I MISSED NY! I went home to visit and purchased a home with land, neighbors that I'll know for more than two months, trees and not palms, no bugs/lizards/fire ants, and the total opposite from the above! I moved here and everyday woke up and found I was not dreaming ( Still Here!! That is home sick) Finally back home....I Love New York!! Always Will

Just had to get that out of my system....

One thing I will miss. The women are unreal!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York