Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,535 times

Advertisements

I moved to the south 20+ years ago from upstate NY and consider it to be the best move I have ever made! I do not live in Atlanta or any other populated area, and have absolutely no problem finding great food, great recreation and anything else that 'damn yankees' consider indispensable. My experience shows me that in order for a restaurant to be great, it does not have to be Zagat rated, as many NYC dwellers seem to think. Each year at the start of winter, I do <briefly> miss snow, but that changes about the time that the Masters is played, when all the azaleas, dogwoods and about 150 other gorgeous flowers and trees bloom. Nothing like spring down here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

486 posts, read 983,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?
I left NYC for 2 years in 2005-2007 and in 2000 for about a year. I missed the hussle and bussle, fast talking people and having everything close by.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:43 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,804 times
I agree with this poster. I was born and raised in upstate New York the beauty is unbelieveable. But at 18 I married and moved away and only go back for visits. I think NY is the most beautiful place and I will always miss it. I love the scenery. But I lived in the country and growing up I felt isolated. I wanted out and when I did get out I knew I would never go back and live. I almost made the move once, but after visting I realized what I really missed was my sister we are close. But I don't like the cold or snow. I just don't miss that at all. I am not an outdoor person, if you are NY is the most wonderful place to live. I am allergic to mosquitos, and in upstate NY we had plenty in the summer months I can't take the cold, couldn't even as a kid I would go outside and fall asleep in the snow, turns out the cold puts me to sleep. So my parents never let me go outside unless I was with someone.

What I miss about NY is the memories I realized and I can't recreate those. So I decided along time ago each place we lived would be home and I would throw myself into it. I joined the church, volunteer, do something to get involved with the community. I really enjoy living in each place then. I go for walks and see what makes each place unique.
Happiness comes from within, not the place you live.

I live near Austin TX, in a small town. I love it here. Its peaceful we are close to medical and the stores we use. I will always look forward to trips back to NY. But for me living there isn't practical anymore.

In the military people would say : the best to live was where they just came from or if they were still there the best place was where they were going Its human nature to look back fondly and look ahead with with excitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabit152 View Post
I’ve found this particular thread fascinating, and the responses varied…as one might expect. Here’s my two cents, in case anyone wants to make change…

I was born and raised in upstate New York, but don’t have the fond memories of family or places past. I enlisted in the Air Force in ’76, right after high school. Been back many times to visit family over the years. This is my point of view…

There are basically two kinds of people; those that wander, and those who stay put. Some learn early on that they were born to wander; others figure it out later in life. Still others are perfectly content to stay where they are. Either is fine. Most who “miss home” or those who rail against where they currently live, probably haven’t figured this out yet.

There is a world of difference between living in NYS, NYC, and Long Island. Proximity is about all these places have in common. Just as there is a huge difference between city folk and country folk.

The cost of living in NY is always going to be an issue for some. This can include whatever you want it to; housing, pay, taxes, utilities, etc... Granted, it’s not the same throughout the state, but I don’t see NY ever being considered a good cost of living state. At least, not in my lifetime. Then again, NY is not the only state where that is true.

Bottom line is anywhere can be “home”. It’s really about attitude. If you make up your mind that you’re going to have a good experience, you probably will. The same is true for a bad experience. Food, traffic, weather, people, even politics, are what you make of them, regardless of where you live.

Do I miss NY? Some things, yes. Some things, no. Will I go back? Definitely. But probably only for visits. Two things are for certain, New York is a state of mind. And, no matter how hard you try…you can never go home again.

And isn’t it possible that the unfriendly, rude people, so many have mentioned, are themselves transplants from other places…who might just be unhappy and wanting to move back home? Just a thought.

Finally, if you think the grass is always greener on the other side, it’s not. It’s just different.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,392 times
I moved to florida and hate it.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,479 times
I moved about a year and a half ago, I don't miss it at all. I miss family and friends. I miss nothing about NYS.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM

50 posts, read 110,927 times
I moved to Austin and am counting the days I will be back in NY

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I left Upstate NY for SC.....it's been 6 months. I just went home to visit friends, family, and my old hang outs. I knew I missed everything, but how BADLY I missed everything. After lots of talking with hubby, turns out he really misses NY and wants to go back home and stay there. He never said a word about he dislikes it here until he heard me missing home. Every day he says he's happy to wear shorts.

Notice how often I said I went back home? Not that where I now live is home. This huge move and building a new house was all because I wanted to move south. Have since high school. Now I know what I gave up. I want it back. Yes, it's expensive, but man you get what you pay for. I'd pay someone so I no longer hear "bless your heart" aka a big fat F you....Oh to be around people know how to drive! And don't think Sonic has the #1 burgers in the area....BARF!

I was one of those people who thought the grass was greener on the other side....well guess what.....here it's brown, burnt, and dead thanks to the damn drought that is ALWAYS here.

Oh my fav news story of the week.......the weathermen here are idiots....probably because they are bored out of their minds. It was 95 on Sunday and he said we were getting a cold front and a huge drop in the temps. I got all excited.....guess what it dropped to.....you're about to pee your pants......it went from 95 to a chilly 89.....I almost had to dig out my winter coat, boots, mittens, and scarf! How did we ever survive that cold day of 89? Southerners! OY!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee512 View Post
I moved to Austin and am counting the days I will be back in NY
I lived in Austin for 6 years (and Colorado Springs for almost 10 before that) & am very glad to be back in the Northeast. Loved the city, hated the weather, snakes, bugs, scorpions, traffic & schools.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,077 times
I spent 2 fantastic years in Western New York. If the property taxes were cut, then I would move back immediately.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
We all make adjustments without noticing it. The first thing you'll realize if you do move up and depending where you settle, is the quietness. Its something I never really gave too much thought to until I had moved out of the city. I can't tell how much I don't miss the sounds of sirens, work trucks and rowdy kids to name a few. Those nosies will quickly be replaced by the sounds of birds chirping in the morning and crickets at night. The next thing you will notice, is not everything is easily accessible. You will be doing more driving than walking. Good restaurants are few and far. If you are planning to buy a home, be prepared to start getting your hands dirty. Sidewalks are nearly nonexistent outside of many villages, city of newburgh and city of middletown. There are plenty of parks, and trails to walk upon. If you decided to commute into the city for work, be prepared to commit to at least twenty hours a week of commuting time. My commute was 25 hours a week, before I was able to find a job in Rockland county. I would honestly give this some thought. Commuting for me wasn't easy. As for visiting friends and family, traveling on the NYS thruway isn't so bad. Depending on traffic, I can be at my sisters place in williamsburgh, within an hour and a half. Train ride from Beacon to GCT is little over an hour. If you enjoy being outdoors and nature in general, the hudson valley has it all. It will take some time to get use to the different pace of lifestyle, but I honestly thank in the end you'll be grateful you made the move.

I wouldn't trade the Hudson Valley for anything. No more worrying about traffic, off-side parking, best of all no parking issues, having more space and not having people on top of each other etc. Hearing the birds in the morning and the crickets at night is smoothing. Hearing horns honking, fire trucks, people screaming etc just makes me nervous and uptight. Some people love the city noises and hate the quiet - as they say each to their own. If you want to take a day trip into the city a few times a year there is always Metro-North Railroad.

There is definitely more driving to be done since places are more spread apart than city life where every single piece of land has been development. I find driving 10 miles here in the HV vs say 2 miles in the city is much more relaxing because there isn't much traffic. The car will will getting more miles, but it will last longer than a car in the city because of not much stop and go traffic and a lot of highway miles. The worst part about driving in the Hudson Valley is worrying about deers jumping out and some roads can be VERY dark, but then again what place outside the city doesn't have that? Northern NJ, Westchester and even LI has those problems..

You might not be walking to the store, doctor or friends house, but there are thousands of trails and parks all across the Hudson Valley to walk and bike. You can also walk across the bridges; Bear Mountain, Newburgh-Beacon (one way is 2 miles long), Mid-Hudson and don't forget about the Walkway over the Hudson.

The winter time is rough because of the cold and being dark 4pm - cannot really do much outdoors. If you love nature, outdoors and histroic houses, museums, etc the HV is the place to be. There is a lot to do and see in the Hudson Valley if you take the time to find different places and do the research about them.

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 10-22-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York