U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 AM

4,299 posts, read 10,083,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynB View Post
DITTO You are so right unless you have lived in New York you will never understand the bond we have and the pride of being a New Yorker and missing all the good times.

Not all NY'ers feel like that. Good times Not all had good times either. I always felt like a west coast person stuck in an east coast person's body
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Default a cool place to visit, not to live though

I live in central Maryland, and have been here for 9 years. There are lots of ex New Yorkers here. There are some excellent pizzerias, bakeries and bagel places, if you know where to look.

What really helps me is talking to my best friend who lives there now on LawngIsland.

I remember Nunley's, Pergaments, TSS, the Roosevelt Raceway. The raceway and the flea market. Ah, I remember going to the flea market, and looking at all the thousands of wares.

There is also the greenbelt walking paths. My friend and I once walked from Massapequa/Sunrise Highway up to Cold Spring Harbor. When we got there we drank some fresh cold spring water, and looked at the rock and plaque that was about Billy Joel visiting.

When my wife and myself went to the Cold Spring place, I found out that you could not drink from the cold springs because it was polluted.

Thanks,

Adam

Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,749 times
Miss New York State? Heavens NO. I do miss lilacs and lightning bugs but I LOVE FLORIDA. I didn't wait to retire to move down here to the sunshine state. I'll be here another 15 years before I retire but I feel like I'm on vacation every day living here.
No snow, no cold, just warm sunshine and beaches.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM

929 posts, read 2,657,600 times
dragon - i'm from the same area. I miss the food!

My family is still there, but I"m not coming back, unless someone gives me a free house, which is paid off.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathy View Post
Miss New York State? Heavens NO. I do miss lilacs and lightning bugs but I LOVE FLORIDA. I didn't wait to retire to move down here to the sunshine state. I'll be here another 15 years before I retire but I feel like I'm on vacation every day living here.
No snow, no cold, just warm sunshine and beaches.
you think that when you retire you may consider spending winter in Florida and summer in Rochester (you mentioned lilacs so I'm assuming that's where you're originally from). I know a lot of people who grow tired of Florida year-round after a while...especially durring summer.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 AM

929 posts, read 2,657,600 times
QUOTE=brodave1916;666918]Is Union County near Charlotte? It's pretty nice there: not far from Charlotte, beaches, mountains. Great SC beaches nearby. I hope you can move as soon as you want and that you really like it there.[/quote]

Union County is one of those rapid growing cities near Charlotte. THey are going to be bursting at the seams, for those who have grown a dislike for Char-Meck Schools and City Dweller, Union Co offers a nice alternative, most poor people cannot afford to move there, they are rapidly developing and it's really nice from what I know.

I'm sure there's alot of NY transplants there, as well as Huntersville and Lake Norman Areas of NC. Don't forget Earnhardt JR lives near here too. Oh yeah!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,030 times
I moved to Jacksonville, FL from upstate NY 3 years ago. Honestly, I am having trouble fitting in here in FL. The people here hate Northerners. I've been called a yankee so many times I've lost count. If I want to be friends with someone, I don't talk about NY at all. I was talking to a co-worker about missing the food in NY and she said "you need to go back where you came from". I would move back now, but I'd be leaving my family since they all live in Florida now. My husband and I are planning to retire in upstate NY where we grew up. There's no place like home!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:09 PM

672 posts, read 56,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-FLgirl View Post
I moved to Jacksonville, FL from upstate NY 3 years ago. Honestly, I am having trouble fitting in here in FL. The people here hate Northerners. I've been called a yankee so many times I've lost count. If I want to be friends with someone, I don't talk about NY at all. I was talking to a co-worker about missing the food in NY and she said "you need to go back where you came from". I would move back now, but I'd be leaving my family since they all live in Florida now. My husband and I are planning to retire in upstate NY where we grew up. There's no place like home!
Seek out other "transplants". They don't have to be from New York. Forget the native Floridians. I used to live there years ago, and have to again unfortunately, so I know what you mean.

My husband has been living in Naples for almost 3 years now. His new "friends" are from Minnesota, Alabama, Connecticut, and Poland (yes, the Country).

That says it all, doesn't it? We are also only planning to stay in Florida until he retires in about 5 years.

PS. I would have said to that coworker, "I am. And I am COUNTING the days."

Give it right BACK to them. Give 'em some of that New York attitude they so complain about.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:39 PM

178 posts, read 539,281 times
No, you're not. I moved years ago to Phoenix which was pretty exotic for about a year. Started to crave all things green. Have since been in different parts of the country and never felt at home in any of them. There's no place like NY, though parts of New England are a nice approximation.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,817 times
I left upstate NY (Syracuse) 45 years ago and I still miss it! I can still tell the accent when I meet somebody from USNY. Real people- not phonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York