Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Buffalonian View Post
Yes I do now have a great life, lower sales and property tax, heck I didn't even need a pay raise when I left the S hole known as the City of Buffalo. You pay what. 8.5% sales tax in Erie County? Don't even get me started on property tax. Who is the sucker now? And yes, I can actually spend 8 months out of the year in the great outdoors and I only had to once shovel 8 inches of snow out of my driveway last year. Have a nice life!
LOL
Only 8 months? Why didn't you just shoot for 12 if it was that big of a deal? ..

Why is snow such a big deal with these whiners that leave Buffalo? ... It snows in tons of cities in the U.S... who cares?

Taxes? again, who cares... if it means I have to live dump of a city in the south, no thanks! Not to mention Id prefer to NOT follow people like yourself. Trust me, your type isn't missed up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
aka_mouse...I know what type you are talking about, the type that think they're "too good" for WNY and try to convince anyone they ever meet that they made the right decision in moving away and it is stupid for people to stay there and all that crap; trust me I know because I lived around plenty of them for the 12 years I was in NC, and they irritated the hell out of me....I don't think Former Buffalonain is one of those typies though. I could be wrong, but he just seems to like where he lives now better than upstate ny...and there's no harm in that. I agree with you, I think the south is overrated and simply looks better on paper and that WNY is a GREAT place to live....that's why I returned to Rochester for good last month; but that's just our opinion and not true for everyone.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 AM

8 posts, read 25,884 times
Default "There's no place like home"...

I used to live in The Bronx, but unfortunately I live behind enemy lines here in Boston (pronounced BAHHSTUN). The only good thing to come of my move is my home is a bit bigger and I don't have anyone living over under me, I'm pretty much paying the same as if I was still in Throggs Neck. My complaints are:
1. The Red Sox
2. The local's attitude
3.The lack of good food

I miss taking my daughter and niece to The Bronx Zoo, then afterwards going over around Arthur Ave and getting some GREAT Itallian food. I miss the fact that if I don't feel like driving, I can leave my car in the driveway, walk out my front door and catch BX42 bus. I miss Modell's and being able to find Yankees, Jets, Giants, Rangers or Islanders stuff. I miss the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in Manhattan, opening day in The Bronx, Lobster tails and Heineken on City Island, rush hour or game day traffic and knowing all the backroads to take to avoid it. I miss doing 93 (MPH) on the New England coming back from Ct., and at the split (Pelham Bay Park) laughing at everyone stuck in traffic as I get off on the Randall Ave exit. I miss having a Dunkin Donuts that actually knows how to make a decent cup of coffee, He_ _ I miss having a 24hr dunkin donuts! I miss fishing out in Mauntauk(I don't miss driving on the L.I.E.) Reading the headlines of the Post or Daily News when they're slamming someone, I miss News 12 The Bronx (as local as it gets), Ok I don't miss The High gas prices, Livery cabdrivers who are constantly blowing their horns, Opposite side street parking days, The Nasty bumps on The Bronx River Parkway-North of the Cross Bronx over the train yard. The retards who cut you or Bogart the line at the GW toll plaza.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM

41 posts, read 122,688 times
Default Missing home

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
aka_mouse...I know what type you are talking about, the type that think they're "too good" for WNY and try to convince anyone they ever meet that they made the right decision in moving away and it is stupid for people to stay there and all that crap; trust me I know because I lived around plenty of them for the 12 years I was in NC, and they irritated the hell out of me....I don't think Former Buffalonain is one of those typies though. I could be wrong, but he just seems to like where he lives now better than upstate ny...and there's no harm in that. I agree with you, I think the south is overrated and simply looks better on paper and that WNY is a GREAT place to live....that's why I returned to Rochester for good last month; but that's just our opinion and not true for everyone.
I have lived in NC for three years and never have met such rude people, while doing it with a smile on their face. When I see a car from NY I pratically attack them and ask them where they are from. I have run into NY'ers who emphatically state that they are happy here, and maybe they are, but I'm not. Then a course I do meet the ones who are as unhappy or astonished by the way people act here. Which helps me to know I am not insane!

I miss home and since my husband and I have good jobs, he doesn't want to leave even though we are alone here. All I get from southerner's is I better behave the way they expect or you won't fit in. I am so tired. Even being the friendly person I have always been (NY'er or not) if I slip with one word or an incorrect response, I am done with what they feel towards me. I have been informed that I am a guest in NC until they deem it fit to accept me, and I should never consider myself a NY'er living in North Carolina. I should be striving to be a North Carolinian. (sp?) I'm almost crying now.

We moved from Fulton, NY which is up by Oswego, and I miss it. I grew up in Seneca Falls. I miss snow, could care less about how taxes now.

Thank you for listening--sorry to bend your ear--I guess it was just a real bad day in the "south".

Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 AM

69 posts, read 255,636 times
nymunga - your not alone. My wife and I have lived down here for 7 years. We have good jobs which makes it tought to leave but I've started looking back home. My wife is from Utica and I'm from Syracuse. The development down here is crazy and actually depressing. Leave some tree's up. How about fixing the transportation system instead of building a thousand more homes. Antoher thing is when we moved down here you could get a nice house for $225,000 clsoe to RTP now there's barely anything under $300,000. I think with the taxes in NY and the cost here it's a pretty close wash. The education system keeps getting more and more screwed up. Some people love it here and that's great, others, like myself think Upstate NY is a better choice for me, although w/o a job it's not a realistic opportunity yet.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
nymunga - your not alone. My wife and I have lived down here for 7 years. We have good jobs which makes it tought to leave but I've started looking back home. My wife is from Utica and I'm from Syracuse. The development down here is crazy and actually depressing. Leave some tree's up. How about fixing the transportation system instead of building a thousand more homes. Antoher thing is when we moved down here you could get a nice house for $225,000 clsoe to RTP now there's barely anything under $300,000. I think with the taxes in NY and the cost here it's a pretty close wash. The education system keeps getting more and more screwed up. Some people love it here and that's great, others, like myself think Upstate NY is a better choice for me, although w/o a job it's not a realistic opportunity yet.
Thank you for your kind words. Just hearing, "your not alone", brought tears to my eyes. Thanks. I live about 35 minutes North of Charlotte. The traffic going into Mooresville let alone Charlotte is beyond imagination. They have some real nice stores in Mooresville, but I only go once every six months, because it takes you 45 minutes to go through three traffic lights. It is so congested. They cannot widen any of the roads with all the stores, and housing developments going up. Crime is becoming unbelievable in Charlotte, and I choose to just stay away. Schools are a joke here. Of course, don't tell anyone that..... For once in my entire life I am getting tired of shopping!! Seems to be the only "sport" here.

My poor husband got all my tears in wanting to move back to NY. when he got home from work. But as he says, and he's right, that we do not have jobs back there, and to wait and see what we can plan. But just be patient and hang in there. You are absolutely correct. Without a job it is unrealistic right now for us also. Being "older" also creates a problem in switching careers or jobs at this time.

We have also taken a ride up into Virginia to a small town called Galax. It is in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Really loved it, reminded me more of NY, but even if we just got a week-end place there for now, to get away from here, I am not sure I would be walking into the same scenario of "the south". I am researching it, but have no idea of what we will do. Patience is the name of the game, for now. (Let my emotions settle down. )

Thank you again, because your post gave me hope to at least dream. And I don't feel so alone.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 AM

69 posts, read 255,636 times
Everything happens for a reason. Keep looking up there. I found Rochester, Albany and Buffalo the cities where the opportunities exist the most.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Hi NyMunga- I truly believe everything happens for a reason. So take heart!
I am in Wake Forest, and almost everyone here is a transplant, & most are here by choice, so, we are a pretty friendly & accepting bunch, for the most part. I am lucky.

Back on Long Island there were people who would never accept me ($, neighborhood, religion, whatever), and I dealt with it. When a person makes it clear that I am not "one of them" I give them that sweet-as-pie smile & Move On! So don't let people who have their own issues get you down.

I hope you find the perfect place for you, whether it is in W VA, back in NY, or maybe even a better part of NC. But I would work really hard at finding a job where you want to go, b/c you should not waste another year being so miserable. If you start the process seriously, that, in & of itself, will begin to cheer you up! Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,471 times
[quote=nymunga;1489138]. . The traffic going into Mooresville let alone Charlotte is beyond imagination. They have some real nice stores in Mooresville, but I only go once every six months, because it takes you 45 minutes to go through three traffic lights. It is so congested. ..... For once in my entire life I am getting tired of shopping!! Seems to be the only "sport" here. ....
We have also taken a ride up into Virginia to a small town called Galax. It is in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Really loved it, reminded me more of NY, but even if we just got a week-end place there for now, to get away from here, I am not sure I would be walking into the same scenario of "the south".

Oh, I feel your pain, this has brought back painful memories. I was a sub-contractor for a while when living in the Charlotte metro and most of my work was in the Lake Norman/Mooresville area. People might think your kidding about 45 min. to go through 3 traffic lights. Folks, its REAL. Not just rush hour either. Its ALL FREEKIN DAY LONG.

As much as you hate being there, there is this really freaky addiction you get from being there and wanting to leave. You feel like you need nerve medicine 24/7 and cant wait to get out but when moving begins to get serious, it gets scary. "I need to leave but I cant." "I hate this place but I need it". I also considered SW Virginia and came within inches of moving to Independence or Galax or Wytheville. Please be very careful, its not what its cracked up to be. Visiting is wonderful but everyday life is another. Its southern attitude without all the shopping. By the time my moving vans got to the top of the hill on I-77 I looked over my shoulder and just prayed the trucks would not break down. (actually one of our 2 personal veh's broke down, the motor seized. We got it to a junk yard because it was old. We sold it for 200 junk price and got back on the road and sucked up our loss) A very nervous feeling in my gut. (I swear the demons were trying to jerk me back down that hill) crossed into PA heading to NY I couldnt believe the RELIEF I felt. I swear in my minds eye the sky looked blue ahead and black in my rear view mirror. I have NEVER regreted coming ALL THE WAY back to NY. Now that I have been back for 1 full year I can love NC from a distance and appreciate the 1 or 2 good things that are there. My in-laws are all there and they have to be 1 of the 2 but I'm not really sure what the other is yet. If I remember I'll get back to ya.

Best wishes

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
I found Rochester, Albany and Buffalo the cities where the opportunities exist the most.
Yeah, wonder why? The State of New York virtually ignores the Syracuse area. Bruno pumping hundreds of millions in the Albany area, Hillary Clinton trying to make the Rochester area the next Renewable Fuel Hotspot, and the State of New York luring all the white collar jobs to the Buffalo area.

Syracuse is the center of the State and it doesn't even attract distribution centers. The State funnels all distribution centers to the Mohawk Valley, Albany area or the Binghamton area.

New York State's message to Syracuse.....****** finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York