Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times

Advertisements

There are so many posts from people who moved to Florida and the Carolinas but not many who left for other places. I grew up, near Buffalo and left the area over 30 years ago. At that time, almost all the people I knew were moving to Florida. I decided to move West and went to Texas and then Colorado. It was a great decision. Colorado has a milder climate but still has snow with low humidity. I live near Denver and it is a beautiful city, good public transportation, nice neighborhoods and good racial diversity with very little strife. Denver is the Center of economic center of the West and has good job opportunities. I am very happy here and I do not feel I made a mistake in leaving Western New York. Buffalo was in bad economic shape when I left and is worse today.
But sometimes, I do think of Western New York and it saddens me that the area is in such decline. If I had stayed, I probably would have been happy living there because it is still in my mind a great place---but I moved on to a new home.

If you are not happy in the South, try the west and mid west--it has great people and less humidity and bugs then the south and the opportunities may be there for you. If you left New York dissatisfied, you may only be going back to the same problems. You may creating a better image of what you left in New York because you do not like the South---try another new place. The USA is a big place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?

Whatever caused you to move in the first place? I moved back two years ago, and moved out shortly thereafter away becuase of the weather, taxes, and pollution. None of that has changed - do I miss my childhood? yes... Do I miss Buffalo? no....the irony is it's not the Buffalo I remembered anyway.....

give your new place time...settle.in....

Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
I have lived in NC for three years and never have met such rude people, while doing it with a smile on their face. When I see a car from NY I pratically attack them and ask them where they are from. I have run into NY'ers who emphatically state that they are happy here, and maybe they are, but I'm not. Then a course I do meet the ones who are as unhappy or astonished by the way people act here. Which helps me to know I am not insane!

I miss home and since my husband and I have good jobs, he doesn't want to leave even though we are alone here. All I get from southerner's is I better behave the way they expect or you won't fit in. I am so tired. Even being the friendly person I have always been (NY'er or not) if I slip with one word or an incorrect response, I am done with what they feel towards me. I have been informed that I am a guest in NC until they deem it fit to accept me, and I should never consider myself a NY'er living in North Carolina. I should be striving to be a North Carolinian. (sp?) I'm almost crying now.

We moved from Fulton, NY which is up by Oswego, and I miss it. I grew up in Seneca Falls. I miss snow, could care less about how taxes now.

Thank you for listening--sorry to bend your ear--I guess it was just a real bad day in the "south".
Wow, what a sad commentary on the part of the country that prides itself on being so polite! What exactly is it that turns these people against their fellow Americans? We all live in the same country for God's sake! I can only IMAGINE what REAL foreigners are treated like!!!!!!!! I'm kissing my NYS ground and yes, the taxes are high, and yes, it snows but we do have some of the most gorgeous scenery and educational system in the country and that alone keeps me here as we are a family big on the outdoors and we wanted our kids to have a great education (and they did and all are very successful NYers themselves!)

Remind me not to drive through NC at night with my NY plates LOL.....

NY will always be here when you're ready and able to return! Keep your chin up; your post made ME sad ):

Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I actually Moved from NY to VA, then to KS. Lived in Kansas for over 7 years, now in Ohio. Heck Ya - I miss NY all the time. You can take the Gal out of NY but you can't take the NY out of her. OH - when I get made my NY accent comes out after all these years.....Sigh....

My family all live there. I just love NY and all the things it has to offer. Someday, I hope to be back where I originated from.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:05 PM

41 posts, read 122,630 times
Smile thanks for the encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Hi NyMunga- I truly believe everything happens for a reason. So take heart!
I am in Wake Forest, and almost everyone here is a transplant, & most are here by choice, so, we are a pretty friendly & accepting bunch, for the most part. I am lucky.

Back on Long Island there were people who would never accept me ($, neighborhood, religion, whatever), and I dealt with it. When a person makes it clear that I am not "one of them" I give them that sweet-as-pie smile & Move On! So don't let people who have their own issues get you down.

I hope you find the perfect place for you, whether it is in W VA, back in NY, or maybe even a better part of NC. But I would work really hard at finding a job where you want to go, b/c you should not waste another year being so miserable. If you start the process seriously, that, in & of itself, will begin to cheer you up! Good luck.

Thank you for making me smile Gosh! I didn't realize how depressed I had gotten until I read my "post" again!!! I'm usually pretty much in control, but I finally just had my fill of Southern Hospitality. Or I guess it was just I am so tired of watching what I say to "not offend", not mention how we did things in NY to anyone, and smile all the time, I just wanted to know when I could just be the fast talking, loud laughing NY'er again! Ha! I appreciate your kind words. Again, thank you. I can get a job anywhere as I work in the nursing profession, but my husband has gotten a job where he makes real good money, and I can't blame him for not wanting to give it up. He asked me to give it three more years, and we will go from there. Truly finding where we need to be is the question. But you are right, being miserable is no way to live, and I can certaintly change my attitude! Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Talking Lol

[quote=averagenyjoe;1490706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
. . The traffic going into Mooresville let alone Charlotte is beyond imagination. They have some real nice stores in Mooresville, but I only go once every six months, because it takes you 45 minutes to go through three traffic lights. It is so congested. ..... For once in my entire life I am getting tired of shopping!! Seems to be the only "sport" here. ....
We have also taken a ride up into Virginia to a small town called Galax. It is in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Really loved it, reminded me more of NY, but even if we just got a week-end place there for now, to get away from here, I am not sure I would be walking into the same scenario of "the south".

Oh, I feel your pain, this has brought back painful memories. I was a sub-contractor for a while when living in the Charlotte metro and most of my work was in the Lake Norman/Mooresville area. People might think your kidding about 45 min. to go through 3 traffic lights. Folks, its REAL. Not just rush hour either. Its ALL FREEKIN DAY LONG.

As much as you hate being there, there is this really freaky addiction you get from being there and wanting to leave. You feel like you need nerve medicine 24/7 and cant wait to get out but when moving begins to get serious, it gets scary. "I need to leave but I cant." "I hate this place but I need it". I also considered SW Virginia and came within inches of moving to Independence or Galax or Wytheville. Please be very careful, its not what its cracked up to be. Visiting is wonderful but everyday life is another. Its southern attitude without all the shopping. By the time my moving vans got to the top of the hill on I-77 I looked over my shoulder and just prayed the trucks would not break down. (actually one of our 2 personal veh's broke down, the motor seized. We got it to a junk yard because it was old. We sold it for 200 junk price and got back on the road and sucked up our loss) A very nervous feeling in my gut. (I swear the demons were trying to jerk me back down that hill) crossed into PA heading to NY I couldnt believe the RELIEF I felt. I swear in my minds eye the sky looked blue ahead and black in my rear view mirror. I have NEVER regreted coming ALL THE WAY back to NY. Now that I have been back for 1 full year I can love NC from a distance and appreciate the 1 or 2 good things that are there. My in-laws are all there and they have to be 1 of the 2 but I'm not really sure what the other is yet. If I remember I'll get back to ya.

Best wishes
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to laugh out loud! It felt so good! The traffic jam is all "freakin day long"! and it was nice to have someone validate my feelings. I had come to the conclusion it must be me at fault, and trying harder seemed to get me nowhere.

That is just the way you feel here! You are absoulutely right in wanting to leave, but frightened to death to go. Almost like, well I messed up picking this state, will I do the same moving back to NY? Doubt becomes a major factor. We are doing so very well finacially, that will we "kick ourselves" for moving back, when only the culture is our problem in NC? So, yes it gets confusing or as you say, "scary".

I am so glad you did make it back to NY, even though it did seem as though the demons were on your tail. We moved down in an old rusty bucket truck with 287,000 miles on it. Still lasted another year and my heart broke when she went to the junk yard. She had a great heart!

Thanks! Thanks! so much on your input of SW VA. I did ask on the VA board how they took to newcomers coming in. The answer I got was not to talk about "how you did something in NY-not to compare", which scared me because that is what I get from NC. Even if I never mention NY, of course my accent gives me away, and it still seems to be a minus for my part. Believe me, I have bent over backwards trying to be nice here, even talked to a cashier for about twenty minutes. We talked and laughed, and just before I was leaving she says to me, "Well, ya know NY'ers are the rudest people of all", with a big smile. I was flabbergasted! Let's see--she talked about her daughter and I told her how proud she must be of her, she loved Las Vegas, I spoke of the beauty of SW VA, and I can't see anywhere where I offended her. I get lost here....

Anyways, enough about me, and I can't tell you how good it was just to laugh! Thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Default West

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There are so many posts from people who moved to Florida and the Carolinas but not many who left for other places. I grew up, near Buffalo and left the area over 30 years ago. At that time, almost all the people I knew were moving to Florida. I decided to move West and went to Texas and then Colorado. It was a great decision. Colorado has a milder climate but still has snow with low humidity. I live near Denver and it is a beautiful city, good public transportation, nice neighborhoods and good racial diversity with very little strife. Denver is the Center of economic center of the West and has good job opportunities. I am very happy here and I do not feel I made a mistake in leaving Western New York. Buffalo was in bad economic shape when I left and is worse today.
But sometimes, I do think of Western New York and it saddens me that the area is in such decline. If I had stayed, I probably would have been happy living there because it is still in my mind a great place---but I moved on to a new home.

If you are not happy in the South, try the west and mid west--it has great people and less humidity and bugs then the south and the opportunities may be there for you. If you left New York dissatisfied, you may only be going back to the same problems. You may creating a better image of what you left in New York because you do not like the South---try another new place. The USA is a big place.
I will look into the west and mid-west! Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Default my chin is coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Wow, what a sad commentary on the part of the country that prides itself on being so polite! What exactly is it that turns these people against their fellow Americans? We all live in the same country for God's sake! I can only IMAGINE what REAL foreigners are treated like!!!!!!!! I'm kissing my NYS ground and yes, the taxes are high, and yes, it snows but we do have some of the most gorgeous scenery and educational system in the country and that alone keeps me here as we are a family big on the outdoors and we wanted our kids to have a great education (and they did and all are very successful NYers themselves!)

Remind me not to drive through NC at night with my NY plates LOL.....

NY will always be here when you're ready and able to return! Keep your chin up; your post made ME sad ):
I didn't mean to make you sad!! I'm sorry. I guess as I stated in a previous answer I didn't even realize how depressed I had gotten till I got back on to re-read my post! Just everyone answering has lifted my spirtits to keep on plugging. The answer will come!!!!

Speaking of license plates----at a stoplight here in town, I was behind a man who had a NC license plate, but the letters on the plate spelled out YANK!. Then around the license plate he had, "Love those NY Mets"! He was turning onto I-77 which I call the beltway or is a major
highway, so I didn't have time to jump out of my car and hug him!

Thanks for the "chin up"!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM

26 posts, read 79,276 times
I have missed NY ever since I stepped foot onto Wisconsin ground 4 years ago. I really shouldn't say that, though, because it's not entirely true. For the first year or so, I didn't mind living somewhere new. And, then it started sinking in how completely UNWELCOMED we are here. Yeah, my NY attitude and lingo come out FREQUENTLY here in Madison, but I cannot help that. It's who I am. If I cannot be myself in the place I live, then I don't want to live there.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you at the moment. Though, at least you CAN get a job in your chosen field. My hubby has a great job here, and he's doing so well that he's very afraid to give it up. He is NOT a New Yorker, but I am - born and bred, and the transition has been far more difficult than I could have imagined. On top of that, I am in education, and I have a masters, and well... it just seems that the districts in South Central Wisconsin do not want an out of state, over qualified teacher.

My friends are all in NY. I've had such a hard time finding "friends" here in WI... I have acquaintances but still no one to call a true friend. My sister & BIL live in NJ (upstate), my inlaws live in Eastern PA. My parents are in FL and my grandparents are in NC... But since most of my family is in the NY metro area, I would MUCH prefer to live there again. I really miss good pizza and cannolis!! Neither exist here in Madison.

I say go to where you will be happy if you can. And, if you figure out how to get your hubby to be more flexible for your wishes, please let me know... I am trying to figure out the same thing!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I actually Moved from NY to VA, then to KS. Lived in Kansas for over 7 years, now in Ohio. Heck Ya - I miss NY all the time. You can take the Gal out of NY but you can't take the NY out of her. OH - when I get made my NY accent comes out after all these years.....Sigh....

My family all live there. I just love NY and all the things it has to offer. Someday, I hope to be back where I originated from.
What part of Virginia, and did you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York