Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,698,066 times

Advertisements

Buffalo Rochester and Albany all have blocks and blocks of walkable areas.
Buffalo has a nice downtown area and the Elmwood strip. Rochester has the East end and St. Paul quater located downtown with night spots and restaurants. Albany has the lark street area which is very nice.
These places have active parts of downtowns for food and nightlife but lack decent shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 PM

491 posts, read 1,431,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I agree with you on this. Although Buffalo doesn't have that much more (maybe 70k in the city) of a population than Rochester these days, it was much much larger back in the day. The city is in need of strengthening its economy. I really think it will too. It's such an amazing area with great architecture, and Niagara Falls right around the corner.

I guess everyone's opinion of a skeleton downtown is different. I felt that some of the other Upstate NY cities didn't really have much going on. Don't get me wrong, they have museums, places to eat and some nightlife. They just don't have the hustle and bustle that other cities have. They're also not largely walkable cities. Yes, you can walk if you want, but they don't have blocks and blocks fo things to do and places to see. Again, I know some people will argue this with me, so I just want to say this is my opinion based on other places I've lived and visited.
I guess the big difference is we just see Western New York as two different things, I see it as everything from Batavia West. I wouldn't consider Rochester as part of it. I know some do, but I grew up about as west as you can get in Westfield, Right on the PA/NY border and we have never considered Rochester part of WNY. I was comparing buffalo to other locales in wny, in which there really isn't any other cities Jamestown? Niagara Falls? Other than buffalo and its suburbs, thats it for cities. Either way, I love wny, but think buffalo needs some work. And like you, I think it will happen.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,851,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
I guess the big difference is we just see Western New York as two different things, I see it as everything from Batavia West. I wouldn't consider Rochester as part of it. I know some do, but I grew up about as west as you can get in Westfield, Right on the PA/NY border and we have never considered Rochester part of WNY. I was comparing buffalo to other locales in wny, in which there really isn't any other cities Jamestown? Niagara Falls? Other than buffalo and its suburbs, thats it for cities. Either way, I love wny, but think buffalo needs some work. And like you, I think it will happen.
Ah, I see. You're right, everyone has a different definition of what WNY is. I know people from NYC that consider Upstate everything but NYC and its metro area!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM

491 posts, read 1,431,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Ah, I see. You're right, everyone has a different definition of what WNY is. I know people from NYC that consider Upstate everything but NYC and its metro area!
Yeah, its crazy to think how many people I have come across that don't realize there is much else to New York State than NYC itself. They never believe that someone can live 8 hours away from the city and still be in NY!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 9,399,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Buffalo Rochester and Albany all have blocks and blocks of walkable areas.
Buffalo has a nice downtown area and the Elmwood strip. Rochester has the East end and St. Paul quater located downtown with night spots and restaurants. Albany has the lark street area which is very nice.
These places have active parts of downtowns for food and nightlife but lack decent shopping.
You forget to mention Armory Square in Downtown Syracuse, probably the best downtown neighborhood in Upstate NY. Rochester has been trying to copy it for years.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,563,147 times
How so? We have Browns Race and High Falls.....those aren't "copying" the armory.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM

280 posts, read 1,219,251 times
Default Hell Yes, I'm from the Hudson Valley

My heart has never - nor will it ever leave NY. I have always been proud to be a NY'er & always will be. And one day I will be moving back

Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,851,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
How so? We have Browns Race and High Falls.....those aren't "copying" the armory.
High Falls is beautiful (the natural beauty of the falls and the bridge) and the laser shows are nice, but other than that, it's a bunch of nightclubs and bars that constantly go out of business and re-open. At night-time, no one is around there unless they're drinking and hanging out at the night clubs. They were talking about doing some great things down there, but then that was cancelled (ESPN Zone, etc). I think the extent of the shopping is the gift shop filled with Rochester stuff.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM

558 posts, read 2,246,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think part of you will always miss it. But I suggest you give it time. It can take more than a year to get used to a new place.
Try to find the good things about your new area.
Good luck with that, LOL! Grew up in and left Rochester YEARS ago. Have lived in many places and - & still miss it. It's a great place that never leaves your heart. But, at the same time, we have successfully moved on and don't see ourselves making it back - other than visiting which we do quite frequently - anytime soon...

Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
My heart has never - nor will it ever leave NY. I have always been proud to be a NY'er & always will be. And one day I will be moving back
As they all do. Nobody can stay out of NY.

We'd love to have you back home in NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York