Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 320,228 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from New York City to Hudson, NY. I would continue working in Manhattan, and begin commuting from Hudson to New York, via Amtrak, approximately 4 days a week. The nature of my job would allow me to do a lot of my work on the train.

I like Hudson, and if this move happens, would live in downtown Hudson, within walking distance of the Amtrak train station. I like the idea of living in a village, and having the ability to walk from my home, to the station, which is why I prefer Hudson over other towns. I also like the idea of owning a grand house, for the price of a modest studio apartment in Manhattan.

Is anyone else doing this? Anyone have regular experience with this commute?

And Hudson seems like a weekend town. What is it like to live downtown, during the week? Any locals want to comment on life in downtown Hudson?

Am I crazy to do this? Or crazy not to?

Last edited by empire; 04-20-2009 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 19,570 times
Default Relocating to Hudson, NY - Commuting to Manhattan/New York City

Not a crazy idea at all. Though I haven't done this, I've heard of many that have, doing exactly what you propose. I'm a life-long resident of Columbia County, having been born & raised in Hudson. The downtown area, (meaning lower Allen and Union streets), are very nice and quiet, and they are just a block or two to the train station. As you know, you have some fine restaurants and places to shop, all within walking distance as well.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-21-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 64,098 times
Hi Empire - My wife and I moved to Athens (across the river from Hudson) last summer from Weehawken, NJ. My wife works in Manhattan and takes the Amtrak out of Hudson....it's a little expensive for a monthly pass (around 800 bucks) but is a nice ride to Penn Station. We head over to Hudson on the weekends for a lazy lunch and love it here.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 320,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1994 View Post
Hi Empire - My wife and I moved to Athens (across the river from Hudson) last summer from Weehawken, NJ. My wife works in Manhattan and takes the Amtrak out of Hudson....it's a little expensive for a monthly pass (around 800 bucks) but is a nice ride to Penn Station. We head over to Hudson on the weekends for a lazy lunch and love it here.
That's really good to know, thanks. It concerns me making this commute on a daily basis. Good to know that your wife doesn't mind it, and she's also having to drive over the bridge daily as well. Can I ask does the train generally run on time? Any trouble getting a seat? I don't mind the expense of the monthly pass, as the savings from living up there would be so worth it. I think we'd want to live in downtown Hudson, in a place walkable to the Amtrak station.
Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 64,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
That's really good to know, thanks. It concerns me making this commute on a daily basis. Good to know that your wife doesn't mind it, and she's also having to drive over the bridge daily as well. Can I ask does the train generally run on time? Any trouble getting a seat? I don't mind the expense of the monthly pass, as the savings from living up there would be so worth it. I think we'd want to live in downtown Hudson, in a place walkable to the Amtrak station.
Thanks again!
The drive to the station is nice but there are delays on this line...in the summer they are the worse with all the track work going on. Also on Friday's the trains are full heading upstate but she has always gotten a seat. 15 to 20 min delays are common. If only there was wi-fi on the train...Even with the delays, we would do it all over again and there are many people who live here and work in the city....even making the trip from Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York