Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Enthusiasm won't bring our unemployment rate down from 9.6%, or our average HOUSEHOLD income up from $29,200.

Sure, there are success stories. There are everywhere, and I am truly glad to hear of others' success, rather than demise. But the truth is, that we have very little to be ecstatic about in this area. It has been going downhill, and I hate to say it, but our politicians (both parties) are really helping speed up the decline.
Well then Canerican, want to DO somethin about IT!? Or keep complainin and yackin about it. Move on out of here if you hate it so much (which I see you are). The last thing Buffalo needs is for to whom those who lack enthusiasm. We need civic pride, we need people to step up to the plate and pursue action in the Queen City.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:15 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,423 times
Quote:
Enthusiasm won't bring our unemployment rate down from 9.6%, or our average HOUSEHOLD income up from $29,200.

Sure, there are success stories. There are everywhere, and I am truly glad to hear of others' success, rather than demise. But the truth is, that we have very little to be ecstatic about in this area. It has been going downhill, and I hate to say it, but our politicians (both parties) are really helping speed up the decline.
Get through college, get some experience, then tell me enthusiasm won't make a difference. If we all had it things would change ten fold. Its negative nellie, doom and gloom artists that paint such awful pictures that transend into the market. I promise you it is the same all over. Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself. I work in the Residential Construction field and if I'm rocking out, there is no reason you can't. Go get the book 'The four Agreements' by Don Ruiz and read it twice. Then go get 'How to win friends and influence people' and read it 3 times. That should help.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,299 times
So I guess if enthusiasm is what matter Buffalo just lacks it.

While cities like Knoxville, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. grow, Buffalo shrinks. You are suggesting that all those cities have that Buffalo doesn't is "enthusiasm"?

I'm sorry I just don't believe that all that we need is a can-do attitude. Although that helps, we also need a government that helps, not hurts. And we don't have the latter.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

93,296 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:

While cities like Knoxville, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. grow, Buffalo shrinks. You are suggesting that all those cities have that Buffalo doesn't is "enthusiasm"?

I'm sorry I just don't believe that all that we need is a can-do attitude. Although that helps, we also need a government that helps, not hurts. And we don't have the latter.

It isn't always about government. What about private investment in the city? Are there any private companies that are offering jobs for people in the area? Eventhough Syracuse is losing people in the city, the population in the county has been steady and must of it is due to private companies that are willing to invest in the area.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
Get through college, get some experience, then tell me enthusiasm won't make a difference. If we all had it things would change ten fold. Its negative nellie, doom and gloom artists that paint such awful pictures that transend into the market. I promise you it is the same all over. Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself. I work in the Residential Construction field and if I'm rocking out, there is no reason you can't. Go get the book 'The four Agreements' by Don Ruiz and read it twice. Then go get 'How to win friends and influence people' and read it 3 times. That should help.
Exactly. Great, insightful post!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't always about government. What about private investment in the city? Are there any private companies that are offering jobs for people in the area? Eventhough Syracuse is losing people in the city, the population in the county has been steady and must of it is due to private companies that are willing to invest in the area.
And look at that area's taxation difference, more "lax" weapons laws, and less regulatory nonsense than Erie County.

It isn't about the government, it's about the bureaucracy.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Quote:

Canerican yes and no. Buffalo does have euthusiam but it does lack it. the biggest issue is that people (citizens) talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Also the democratic system was perfect back when our forefathers created it, but the creation of political parties, and parties personal opinions for thier own cause, not for the better of the people have screwed this nation up. Republicans say saving money helps, Democrats say spending money helps.
I remember watchin Chris Rock on Comedy Central and he proved a very good pooint. i dont remember when the show ws but he said you can't be all of one thing.

You're Liberal on some things and you're conservative on others. Its impossible to be one.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Canerican yes and no. Buffalo does have euthusiam but it does lack it. the biggest issue is that people (citizens) talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
Agreed

Quote:
Also the democratic system was perfect back when our forefathers created it, but the creation of political parties, and parties personal opinions for thier own cause, not for the better of the people have screwed this nation up. Republicans say saving money helps, Democrats say spending money helps.
I remember watchin Chris Rock on Comedy Central and he proved a very good pooint. i dont remember when the show ws but he said you can't be all of one thing.
Well it depends on who you are, but spent money doesn't come from the sky. Unfortunately NY State, and Erie county have been good at spending a lot of money on not very much. We aren't getting a good bang for our buck (unless you refuse to work, in which case you probably make more money than I do, and don't pay any taxes) I say saving money is in order in our area, we have spent and it has failed. Are there times when spending is in order? Of course! I think that government funded employment agencies, schools, half-way houses, and drug and rehab programs are good uses of money. I think that welfare is a huge waste. Disability insurance is a good program, but it is so terribly abused in New York, that it needs to be completely overhauled, and audited, but that won't happen, because people no disability are a huge voting block in NY, and the pols won't risk upsetting them by auditing their ill-gotten gains.

Quote:
You're Liberal on some things and you're conservative on others. Its impossible to be one.
Maybe classically Liberal on some things, but I am right-wing through and through!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,423 times
All politicans do is spend money. republicans spend it on military programs and democrats spend it on welfare.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
All politicans do is spend money. republicans spend it on military programs and democrats spend it on welfare.
When is the last time NY bought an Abrams tanks, or an F-22?

In our state both the Democrats and Republicans blow money. In the state Senate we have some really great fiscally disciplined Republicans. However in the Erie County legislature, it is a free for all. And Chris Collins is the worst. If we could find a good moderate Democrat, I would support him over Chris Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York