Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
All politicans do is spend money. republicans spend it on military programs and democrats spend it on welfare.
True but Republicans save more than they spend.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:32 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
True but Republicans save more than they spend.
They do?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:31 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
When is the last time NY bought an Abrams tanks, or an F-22?

In our state both the Democrats and Republicans blow money. In the state Senate we have some really great fiscally disciplined Republicans. However in the Erie County legislature, it is a free for all. And Chris Collins is the worst. If we could find a good moderate Democrat, I would support him over Chris Collins.
How is Chris Collins the worst!? He's one of the few that have actually done something and are actively involved. Please, elaborate yourself...?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
How is Chris Collins the worst!? He's one of the few that have actually done something and are actively involved. Please, elaborate yourself...?
He's been fiscally unrestrained. He's spending too much money in the wrong places. Expanding family service, and other welfare programs (I am not opposed to helping families, but the term "family services" in Erie County usually means welfare). He has raised taxes, despite promises.

And our roads still are more awful than some small backwoods towns in Virginia with total tax rates less than have of ours.

In all honesty, if you were considering moving to Buffalo, the first thing you would notice besides the buildings, are the roads. The roads in every part of the county are just horrible, and not getting much better.

In other states they having a competitive bidding process for road contracts. We don't we just let unionized city workers do it at double the cost and half the speed and efficiency.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
He's been fiscally unrestrained. He's spending too much money in the wrong places. Expanding family service, and other welfare programs (I am not opposed to helping families, but the term "family services" in Erie County usually means welfare). He has raised taxes, despite promises.

And our roads still are more awful than some small backwoods towns in Virginia with total tax rates less than have of ours.

In all honesty, if you were considering moving to Buffalo, the first thing you would notice besides the buildings, are the roads. The roads in every part of the county are just horrible, and not getting much better.

In other states they having a competitive bidding process for road contracts. We don't we just let unionized city workers do it at double the cost and half the speed and efficiency.
Where do you get those statistics from anyway!? Aside from the road problems, the other things you mentioned about good ol' Chris are over-exaggerated.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,161 times
This thread is too funny! I just moved out of NYS (Buffalo specifically), and while I'll always love the Sabres, Bills, and Bandits, I couldn't be happier living where I am now. The cost of living is 4% higher, I'm making the same salary as I was living in NYS but guess what? I have MORE money to spend because I'M NOT BEING TAXED TO DEATH!!!

Somehow, this thread became about corrupt politicians...NEWSFLASH **** They're all Corrupt!!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Somehow, this thread became about corrupt politicians...NEWSFLASH **** They're all Corrupt!!
You've got a great Senator there though. John Ensign is a great guy. I've had the opportunity to meet him twice and he just a great guy. If you talk to enough politicians, you get a knack for which are doing stuff that is wrong, and Ensign is a guy who just does it because he loves his state. I even really like Gov. Gibbons, though I have never met him. He is a reason that your taxes are so low, and he is full of good ideas.

Unfortunately, with the exceptions of Chris Lee and Kristen Gillibrand, good New York state Republicans are tough to come by.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Most are indeed corrupt. However, having Chris Collins as Erie County Executive is a huge step in bringing back order in Buffalo politics. There is hope.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM

927 posts, read 1,458,822 times
when I left it was time to change ....

Every time I go back I get so home sick for it.

Last time was for my grandmothers funeral a few years ago in the winter.

It was funny watching peoples eye bug out when they were in autos with windows up tight and I was driving with arm hanging out as it snowed ...

and me with North Carolina plates on my truck

Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM

51 posts, read 171,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Once we secede from NYS and become our own Upstate New York...
I've been hearing about this since I was young (let's just say it's been a few years), what's changed that makes this a possibility now?

Not that I don't agree with it, even though I thought it was a crack-pot idea back in the day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York