Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:06 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
It had grown about 3% 2000-05, but 2000-2008 it has only grown 0.3%.

Obviously it has had a tough past few years. But I hear what you are saying, Poughkeepsie would make a long, but possibly worthwhile commute if you wanted some land in safe town.
The tanking of the economy has really slowed this phenomenon so this makes sense. Even in Putnam County (about halfway between Poughkeepsie and NYC) houses are starting to get semi-reasonable (like I see ads for some starter homes in the high 200s), so the incentive to go as far from NYC is not as great anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
As I so often say here... "Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion", but here are the facts.

It may seem like everyone has been coming to NYC to work on Wall Street, and quite a few have, but a LOT MORE people have left.

Note: I also need to correct my own assumption in a previous post. I thought that net domestic migration was basically flat. The fact that net domestic migration is so negative is surprising. In another dataset linked off the same source page, it shows that in 2005, NYC lost over 268,000 people to out-migration and that Nassau-Suffolk actually lost population.
Actually, maybe it's not and my bad. After 9/11 a lot of people thought about leaving metro NY and I'm sure some did. I imagine your original assumption would be right 1980-2000. The 2010 census results could be interesting (will probably show growth, but as you note a lot of domestic out-migration with a lot of inward foreigh immigration.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
From my anecdotal experience with friends and colleagues here in NYC, it seems that people are moving away simply because of cost and quality-of-life issues. Upstate, it tends to be lack of jobs, but downstate it is cost of living - both trends have excessive taxation and cost of government as a contributing factor.

It seems to be a common aspiration amongst many NYC natives to be able to leave the city and buy a big house with a backyard for $200K - until they realize that the kinds of places that offer big $200K houses have no jobs! Cause and effect.

What surprised me about the census figures was that new births were the source of the population increase (as Canerican pointed out). It is a reasonable assumption that most of the new births were from new immigrants, given the nationwide trend of falling rates of childbirth and general aging of native-born Americans.

It is also a fact that many immigrants account for out-migration as well. After establishing themselves, many move to other parts of the country, again for cost and quality-of-life reasons.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:23 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,222 times
Well,
I am one of those people that will soon be moving back to New York State from Raleigh, NC. And I live in North Raleigh to boot!
Why ?
Because I am so homesick I could scream!
I am an R.N. with over 20 yrs experience. I DO NOT want to work for 17.00.
Whether I return to WNY or NYC will be dependent on whether I find a job willing to pay me.
But honestly I would love to come home!
I love Raleigh but its not home.
I have been wracking my brain, trying to think outside the box and looking into ways to make a living without having to subject myself to low nursing wages, working in hostile work enviroments and overall becoming a slave just so I can go home. I am even willing to look into Ebay and have someone teach me how to do it so I can go home.
I have thought about having my own business and looking into SCORE and other ways to teach myself to think outside the box.
I am happy they have a dog park there, something that is VERY popular in Raleigh but just wish they would have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods and some other places that have grown on me.
But honestly I love Wegmans and defintely will be looking forward to that.Speaking of Wegmans I would even be willing to work for them. They have an excellent reputation as an Employer. But again... I am not working for minimum wage.
Sorry just will not go backwards in that respect.
But I am coming home and I am doing my darndest to make that happen!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM

927 posts, read 1,458,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Well,
I am one of those people that will soon be moving back to New York State from Raleigh, NC. And I live in North Raleigh to boot!
Why ?
Whether I return to WNY or NYC will be dependent on whether I find a job willing to pay me.
I have been wracking my brain, trying to think outside the box and looking into ways to make a living without having to subject myself to low nursing wages, working in hostile work enviroments and overall becoming a slave just so I can go home. I am even willing to look into Ebay and have someone teach me how to do it so I can go home.
I have thought about having my own business and looking into SCORE and other ways to teach myself to think outside the box.
I am happy they have a dog park there, something that is VERY popular in Raleigh but just wish they would have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods and some other places that have grown on me.
But honestly I love Wegmans and defintely will be looking forward to that.Speaking of Wegmans I would even be willing to work for them. They have an excellent reputation as an Employer. But again... I am not working for minimum wage.
I can relate to being homesick ... I am here in Holly Springs near Fuquay Varina - its too hot to me ... can't enjoy driving a convertible down here most of the summer ...

... and there is no Chestnut Ridge Park type places here with tobaggon chutes ...

.... if only my wife wasn't paid so much down here - she would probably be willing to move up there (if I do all the driving in the winter )

Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Well,
Why ?
You might be in luck, because health care is one of the industries that is doing fine in Upstate NY. Here in Syracuse, you always see ads for nursing jobs.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:07 PM

323 posts, read 1,791,222 times
Oh yes, chestnut Ridge.. hmmm i havent thought about that place in a while.
Well, lol... I sit here in front of my computer screen watching youtube videos on Elmwood ave and Buffalo scenes.
Now you know... how pathetic is that?
LMAO.

Last edited by energygrrl; 05-24-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM

450 posts, read 1,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Because we are a nanny state, the government is trying to take over every aspect of our lives and regulate us to death.

If only I was able to move away right now I would. Ah, this has my blood boiling! See you later Paterson, another taxpayer is heading "anywhere but here."

Interested-Participant

FYI crimes committed using .50 ammunition are very rare according to the left-leaning violence policy only 4 violent crimes have been committed using .50 BMG ammo (although they list more crimes (mostly illegal possession) of these guns)

Here's another link (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=166&issue=099 - broken link)

Make no mistake, this is just a bill to harass legal gun owners, and make it impossibly expensive for regular folks to own firearms.

It's not about stopping crimes (NY is soft on crime, they give notoriously light sentences, and did away with the death penalty despite most people in the state knowing that it is a good punishment for a few serious crimes), it is about stopping law-abiding citizens from ever being able to own a gun.
Aaaah! Currently in the 11th year of my exodus from WNY and realize from reading these kinds of posts that I finally have gotten the whole rotten mess of life in Buffalo out of my system. What a relief to no longer be concerned with the BS one puts up with just to survive there. It's just hard to believe how depressing Buffalo is until you've been away for awhile and how liberating it is to know that you will never have to live there again. Occasionally, a happy memory from there crosses my mind but is soon forgotten (there were a few, but not many). I'm just thankful I was able to get out and finally stop looking back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York