Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 84,636 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Im a jersey girl born and raised in the suburbs, getting married in a few months and considering relocating to NY where my fiance works. However, i have a dog and lots of family and dont want an apartment. Im looking for a duplex or a house with a small yard in an area that is more suburban than urban, but still a reasonable commute to nyc (up to 30 min maybe) Our budget is around 400k depending on taxes can be more or less (im used to NJ taxes of 8k, though i understand ny is cheaper). Any thoughts on a nice ny town outside the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM

701 posts, read 3,312,175 times
Property taxes in New York are just as bad in New Jersey, if not worse.

In regards to New York State, with under a 30 minute commute to New York City, Westchester is your only option. Rockland is an absolute minimum of 30 minutes by driving, but more in traffic (and more with mass transit). Even much of Westchester is well over 30 minutes, but it's more realistic.

Unfortunately, 400k won't get you much in Westchester. If schools are not yet a concern for you, you may find some smaller houses and townhouses within your budget, in places like Tarrytown, Elmsford, Yonkers, etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM

these are counties correct (westchester and rockland)? could you tell me what towns i could search in westchester that you would recommend? also, i think were def considering mass transit as a better option. thanks!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Yes, they are counties. Essentially, for a commute into midtown Manhattan of around 30 minutes or less, you can basically only consider towns that are White Plains and south. So White Plains, Tarrytown, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Tuckahoe, Mount Vernon, Hartsdale. The schools in these towns are not particularly good, but you might find something small in your price range.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM

thanks! wow, i didnt realize how expensive NY suburbs were! i thought we'd get a better deal there, but i guess not. Any thoughts on Staten Island?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Any suburban location within a 30 minute commute to Manhattan is going to be expensive. Poorer areas, with lesser schools, will have some slightly more affordable options.

No, I don't know anything about Staten Island, you may want to post on the New York City board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York