Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,936 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on making a move out of this rat race down here in New Jersey to the Plattsburgh, NY area sometime next year and I would like to touch base with people who live in and around the area to get some input. Do you like it? How bad are the winters? Employment? Taxes? School system?

Anyway, if anyone would be so kind enough to touch base with me I would really appreciate it and give me some of your thoughts on the area.

Thank you,
Tara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,238,573 times
Hi, Tara. Love your screen name!

I live near Plattsburgh in the town of Schuyler (pronounced skyler) Falls. I hear the best school district in the area is Peru.

It's a growing area and, while we do like it here, we'll be moving to Florida this fall because we've both had enough of winter! It is a big change from a rat race, so there's some culture shock, be forewarned. If you like outdoor activities like skiing, skating, snowmobiling, etc., the winters won't be bad. It can get cold. And snowy (we got 3 or 4 inches just yesterday, as a matter of fact).

Summers are beautiful, especially around the lake. And driving thru the mountains in the fall....priceless.

I'd suggest visiting several times during the year, particularly in Jan. to see what it's truly like.

While we are a mainly rural area, we're only about an hour and a half away from Montreal, about an hour from Burlington, VT which has a large community of artsy types, so if you want to get away for some city-type stuff, you have that opportunity.

I hope that gives you a general idea about our area. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 PM

229 posts, read 231,934 times
Hi Tara...

Clinton County is Beautiful. I so wanted to move my family there but have recently hit a snag with my pension and will not be able to move there so it seems. I have been to the area many times and have done extensive research in the are . Even met nomoresnow on one trip. The best place to stay is the La Quinta in plattsburgh. They are super nice, have an indoor pool and cost around 58-60 per night when the others are pushing 100 or better. If you have any specific questions about schools etc.. please ask. Someone should reap the benefit of all of my work. I also know a GREAT REALTOR in the area who led us all over hill and dale, even had us over to dinner !!! I would love to get him some clients as we are pretty sure we can not move now. Let me know and best of luck p.s. I can lead you to some great places we have seen too !!!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,481 times
Default Born and Raised

I grew up in the Plattsburgh area, and trust me, if schools are an issue, Peru is the only way to go. Anywhere near the lake is beautiful! A GREAT place, albeit somewhat more expensive for the area, is Cliff Haven. It is in the Peru school district, yet its about 1/2 way between Peru and Plattsburgh. It is right on the water, a private beach, super friendly neighbors. As far as the town of Peru goes, there are some beautiful new homes going up behind the school. And a BIG difference from NYC, the entire town is talking about one house in perticular going for ::gasp:: 300,000. If you are looking for a smaller, more of a starter home, I grew up on Moore Drive, which is a WONDERFUL little street. Great people, very inviting!

I myself am looking to move the other way, due to getting a job in White Plains. I can tell you the culture shock will be there, but I don't think it will be as drastic as mine!

If you have any other questions, feel free. I lived in the area since I was born, until I went away to the "big city" of Albany for college.

P.S. Another Plus: Montreal is only about 60-90 min away, and it is an AMAZING city, well worth the day trip up there.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:11 AM

160 posts, read 563,954 times
Hi Tara,
My family and I moved from NYC to the city of Plattsburgh on the old base, have been there a year, and love it. The Plattsburgh school district has been fantastic for our elementary and junior-high kids. The recreation, especially the soccer, is excellent, and there's even an Irish dance group!
The summer was unbelievable, even though old-timers said it was too rainy. The winter didn't start til January 12 or so, but February was cold. Loved the skiing, though. And there isn't the wet, cold wind off the water like NYC. The biggest adjustment for me was the early sunset/late sunrise. Try to schedule a trip to someplace sunny during the winter.
I heartily recommend moving up here.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 PM

22,904 posts, read 28,198,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallirishbeauty View Post
How bad are the winters?
What would you consider "bad?" I'm typing this on April 15th. It started snowing today around 5:30 PM. It's getting close to 11 PM now, and there is probably about 6 inches of snow.

That being said, I take it that this is a rather unusually late storm. Not unheard of, certainly, but definitely unusual. One of the locals told me today that it's been a long time since they had a white Christmas. Most of the snow is in January and February.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
hi tara.....

i used to live in plattsburgh, born and raised in the north country. i moved to pittsburgh, pennsylvania, in 2001.

drop me a line, if you have any questions about the city.

~stephy

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,704,081 times
The winters are not too bad as far as snow goes. At least when I was there. I remember it being very windy and icy during the winter months though.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,936 times
Default Thank you all...

Thank you all for the information, this really helps!

As to the winter question, well I don't consider any winter bad really - I love the cold, the colder the better for me and lots and lots of snow so Plattsburgh is sounding great!

I would like to keep in touch with those of you who have replied to my inquiry so please add me to your list

We are planning a trip up in the summer to check out the area and who knows maybe I will see some of you too!

-Tara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York