Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard things about Lyons and even Sodus and Clyde somewhat, but I didn't think it was that serious.
Hopefully they have improved since I have left.... but according to the "teacher mill" they have only gotten worse....and I have been advised to stay EAST by staff members when I am ready to go back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I'm puzzled as to why someone would be interested in both Newark, NY, and the Hawley-Green section of inner Syracuse. Seems like quite a switch of locales to me!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I'm puzzled as to why someone would be interested in both Newark, NY, and the Hawley-Green section of inner Syracuse. Seems like quite a switch of locales to me!
Maybe affordable housing.....

Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
[FONT=Verdana]I am sure it is too late to be helpful for the person looking for a place to buy a house. I would like to speak in defense of Newark, NY. I grew up there and have since moved out of state but my parents and siblings still live there and a lot of my friends have moved back into the greater surrounding area. Firstly, for whomever was a teacher in the Newark Middle School who ran into such problems. I have one thing to say...come on! All schools have some presence of drugs. There is at least one kid smoking cigarettes, stealing his mom’s valium, or smoking pot. I did not attend public school in Newark until High School, and I did graduate a few years ago, but not long enough to not remember what it was like there. I thought it was a pretty safe and supportive school district and I can really say that my education at Newark High School more than prepared me for college and the life beyond. People who want to comment about Newark’s rampant drug, violence, or un-orderly youth have obviously grown up in some rural part of ALASKA where their nearest neighbors where wild animals. Newark is a small town that has all the same benefits and plights as every other small town. As for prostitution, all sex is paid for in one way or another since the origin of the human species. I have a real hard time taking seriously any allegations that monetary favors are exchanging hands for sexual favors. However, I would not doubt that the same pressures and insecurities exist in that middle school as in everywhere else around the world. I am sure that some young girls try to find attention through their body, just as they have always done. Newark is in an economic slump that has been going on for probably the past 50 years. That is not new or exaggerated. However, I do not begin to think that youth gangs have taken over the town or that the mafia is putting hits out on the locals yet. Go live in a major city for a year and then tell me about the crime problem in Newark. I know people who graduated from Harley-Allendale Columbia the same year as I graduated from Newark and they had way more problems in that school than we ever did. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] On hopefully a more helpful note, Newark has great home prices a long with Clifton Springs, Williamson, and Palmyra. If you are looking for a bigger town, look to Victor, Geneva, Canandaigua, Penfield, or Pittsford. But expect a much higher price as the towns get bigger and wealthier. [/FONT]

Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM

185 posts, read 647,774 times
I never knew there was a Newark NY, learn something new (and on city-data) everyday.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes86 View Post
I never knew there was a Newark NY, learn something new (and on city-data) everyday.
Yup, it is a relatively "diverse" village of about 8-9,000 in Wayne County. It's between Syracuse and Rochester. http://newarknychamber.org/
http://www.villageofnewark.com/

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,624 times
Idk if Newark is that bad i have lived in newark for about 25years yes there are drugs andstuff but think about it dosnt everywhere have drugs? Yes you were a teacher there so you seen the worst the kids but if parents were aloud to spank their kids it wouldnt be that bad so you can thank the goverment for that. I moved 2 years ago to SpringWater NY for my husbans job but we are searching hard to find a place to move back to Newark and when we do our kids will be going to ST.Michaels school a GREAT private school and i mean it is a wonderful school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York