U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,723 times

Advertisements

Just got back from visiting upstate New York. Very pretty,,,,,,took route 12 up to Black Lake and took 81 the whole way home back into Pa. We saw beautiful mountains off the highway 81 below Syracuse and before and after Binghamton.....are there towns off this route that are good for hunting and get away cabins with inexpensive pricing?
Somewhere like Cortland county, Broome County around there I guess would fall in those categories.....not sure where I was at there but around that area. We are looking for mountainous, hunting, large secluded areas, dirt roads if any, possible four wheeling (if allowed in any of these counties) and snowmobiling. Far away from any main towns. Any imput? Thanks!
We usually visit our friend's cabin in Potter County Pa., we like the feeling of it there and wanting to see if this area of downstate New York had some kind of area like that, mostly people living rustic, visiting their hunting camps, four wheeling allowed on the roads, enjoying nature and where the people are not very populated.
I know upstate New York has more to offer to a point but too far of a drive for us most times of the year.

Last edited by SummerLovin; 06-22-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Add other questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM

4,259 posts, read 9,888,334 times
The area around Cincinnatus (suggested center of 20 mile radius for searching real estate web sites) used to be pretty cheap since there's no hope of finding work on what most would consider a reasonable commute from there.

If by "below Binghamton" on I-81 you mean to the south, that's Pennsylvania. Possibly lower taxes but higher land values due to being closer to the buying public. Try a 20 mile radius search on Thompson, PA and see what you like, that's outside of most folks commutes to wherever.

Land values in both areas have been affected by the underlying Marcellus Shale and the gas boom. The initial promise seems to have faded a bit with energy prices dropping from last year's highs. Not sure you can get woodland for <$1,000/acre anymore like one could, say, five years ago in these areas.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 PM

136 posts, read 715,323 times
I suppose you could look just a bit to the east in the Catskills, if you're looking for hills, woods, dirt roads, etc. If the light pollution maps are indicative, the area around Bovina, Andes, the Pepacton Resevoir, and the Cannonsville Resevoir is the farthest from big cities.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM

4,259 posts, read 9,888,334 times
I responded before your seeing your edit.

Although the private land around Cincinnatus in eastern Cortland/western Chenango counties is probably about 50%+ absentee owned (it was before NYS considered the area for a nuclear dump about 20 years ago, the emptying out trend certainly hasn't reversed since), it was still farm country when a lot of the places in Potter County were already hunting camps. Potter County has had a longer time to develop the aura conveyed by Second Week of Deer Camp by Da Yoopers

I think if you really want to be driving ATV's on the roads there's no better place than "God's Country," Potter County itself, based on this: http://fullthrottleassault.com/legal/twp_roads/PA_ATV_roads.pdf (broken link)

If it has to be in NY for some reason (after considering that an out of state hunting license is probably still cheaper than NY property taxes), the Tug Hill Plateau region, where Oswego, Jefferson, and Lewis counties meet north of Oneida Lake, and northeast of Syracuse, is probably your best bet. Just a little bit off I-81.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM

Thank you so much for you help everyone! I am going to check these out on the map. There is no feeling like Potter so far, just wish we could find something less expensive but I guess the taxes in New York may make up for it in the long run? Thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,181 times
Default Just above Potter county..Steuben County,NY

Our area of New York is very similar to Potter county with the additional beauty of the Finger lakes. Currently I have two properties that border the state forest. These properties are on dirt roads with ample room for ATV trails. This area is refered to as the southern tier of New York just above the
Potter county area of Pa.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Thank you, will check into that as well!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 969 times
Upstate NY is the area north of Albany (Mostly the Adirondacks). Although folks from NYC call anything outside of their city upstate, that is not the case. You have to talk to the residents of each area. For example: Buffalo is western NY, Syracuse is Central NY. Binghampton is Downstate (as well as all areas south of Albany) and Glens Falls/Plattsburgh is upstate. This is from someone that has studied the map of New York for 40 years. People need to know that the term New York is referring to the State and if you are referring to New York City, you call it just that...New York City. Another good example is the term Washington. Washington is on the west coast, Washington, DC is the East Coast. The White house is in D.C (or Washington, DC) but that is not the same as saying it is in Washington. In a world where everyone is trying to be politically correct, they still are not.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 AM

526 posts, read 1,938,895 times
Although geographically correct...I've never heard of the southern tier (Binghamton west to Elmira) referred to as downstate.....esp by the folks from below the Catskills.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM

526 posts, read 1,938,895 times
Oh...and its Binghamton...not Binghampton.....doubt it'll ever be confused w/the Hamptons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or