Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 20,724 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to fort drum ny. However, we cannot currently find any good pictures or really helpful information about the area. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM

125 posts, read 433,178 times
what sort of info are you looking for?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
I's a relatively small and older city without many of the amenities one might associate with city life. I think you'll find crime to be very low, traffic problems non-existent and the public schools to be "okay" but not academically stringent simply because it's in a predominately rural and mostly blue collar area.

Those are assumptions on my part based on having an older cousin who lived up that way, having passed through the city a few times and having some co-workers who live in rural areas a bit south of there. The economy of that entire area is driven by Fort Drum and rapid expansion of the base has not been matched by an appropriate increase in available housing.

It's a very flat area on a plateau east of Lake Ontario and gets LOTS of snow (we get about 125" or more most years in Syracuse and we think of Watertown as the place where they REALLY get snow!).

Chamber of Commerce web site:

Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce, Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Watertown New York

Also - use the Search function of this forum with Watertwon as the keyword and you'll find a half dozen or so threads on the topic of neighborhoods etc.

Pictures - plenty of them:

watertown ny - Google Image Search

Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM

133 posts, read 498,286 times
First of all, the previous above post is mostly from the naive perspective of a Central NYer who has a limited view and knowledge of the area, as most people from Syracuse/Onondaga County think they are superior to NNYers because they live in a more populated upstate area. So please do not take his word as golden.

Watertown is in the 1000 Islands Region and it is mostly dependant upon Fort Drum and the DoD for economic sustainment. The Watertown area is not very flat as he said, it is in the St. Lawrence River Valley and is hilly, not flat. Dry Hill Ski Area is a prime example of the topography of the area surrounding Watertown. We are at a lower sea level elevation than CNY, maybe that is what he was thinking. Other than NYC and Long Island, we are at the lowest elevation in the state. But I assure you it is not flat. As far as snow goes, in my opinion Oswego County is the worst! Watertown does get hammered by storms, but there is a noticeable difference in the towns northeast of Watertown in northern Jefferson County. Housing in the city itself has become more limited because of the influx of military families. Also the cost of houses has risen in the past few years. Watertown is an old city, and it is not a large urban center, but because of the many transplants there is a feel of ethnic diversity not common in mostly rural areas. The native population is mostly white, and is of either Irish, Italian, Dutch or French decent.

The city itself was founded by settlers from Connecticut and Massachusetts. They settled in the current location of Public Square, or downtown. Many of the streets in the city are named after the early settlers: Massey, Butterfield, Ten Eyck, etc. If you are military and choose to collect BAH and live off post, I would suggest the Town of LeRay, or any of the Villages that are in the Indian River School District. Smaller school districts have limited resources, but the medium sized ones are fine. On the par with schools in any other region of New York State. By far the true advantage of Northern New York is that we are on the doorsteps of world class attractions, namely the 1000 Islands. During the early part of the last century many wealthy families from New York City had summer homes in the Islands.

Your best bet is by searching sites like newz junky (www.newzjunkie.com), and Fort Drum's (www.drum.army.mil) website for additional information about the move. As always good luck with the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
I's a relatively small and older city without many of the amenities one might associate with city life. I think you'll find crime to be very low, traffic problems non-existent and the public schools to be "okay" but not academically stringent simply because it's in a predominately rural and mostly blue collar area.

Those are assumptions on my part based on having an older cousin who lived up that way, having passed through the city a few times and having some co-workers who live in rural areas a bit south of there. The economy of that entire area is driven by Fort Drum and rapid expansion of the base has not been matched by an appropriate increase in available housing.

It's a very flat area on a plateau east of Lake Ontario and gets LOTS of snow (we get about 125" or more most years in Syracuse and we think of Watertown as the place where they REALLY get snow!).

Chamber of Commerce web site:

Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce, Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Watertown New York

Also - use the Search function of this forum with Watertwon as the keyword and you'll find a half dozen or so threads on the topic of neighborhoods etc.

Pictures - plenty of them:

watertown ny - Google Image Search

Last edited by newyorkborn&raised; 07-01-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I think the North Country is coming into its own as a region. Don't forget that Watertown is near the very charming 1000 Islands and towns like Clayton and Alexandria Bay. And Canada! And white water rafting. And Adirondacks next door.

Part of the perception problem, I'm sure, comes from people who only know the North Country from what they see from Route 81... which is flat, empty and full of cows. Do yourself a favor get off the Interstate and go up along the lakeshore, you'll get somewhat of a different view.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
If I had to live in a rural county in Upstate NY (not within a metropolitan area) I'd choose somewhere in the North Country as opposed to somewhere in the Southern Tier. IMO, the vibe is better up north near the Canadian border.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
As a former Fort Drum soldier, try these sites too: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/

Watertown, NY - Official Website

Jefferson County New York Home Page (http://www.co.jefferson.ny.us/Jefflive.nsf/index12 - broken link)

Can't forget another community in Sackets Harbor, which is full of history and is nice. The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 29,383 times
It's a pretty cool place. I moved here from Florida and don't have any complaints!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
The Fort Drum area is quite beautiful & full of history as it is quite close to Sackets Harbor and across the river from Canada. It is a good place to raise children & compared to many schools esp in the Southern Parts of the Country, it is also very good. I would caution about Indian River Central School as they seem to have the most behavioral problems with students in my opinion. If you are looking for Big City Life it will not fit your need but if you like the outdoors esp fishing, hiking, camping, downhill & crosscountry skiing, water sports, you will love ! It is close to the 1000 Islands, Land Of lakes, the Adirondak Mts and only 5 hours from NYC as well as the Pocono Mt region. The snow, to me, is beautiful & @ Christmastime very wonderful to share with your family. There are many small towns close to Fort Drum, Evans Mills, Calcium, Black River, Phiadelphia, Pameila, Chamont, Three Mile Bay, Clayton, Cape Vincent, Dexter, Brownville to name a few. There also is a very small city , Watertown close to post.

The people are friendly & I have found more racially tolerant than the south and other places I have lived. It is a good "family"place to live .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York