Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about the New York Mass Transportation System lately. I was wondering. Compared to Europe and Asia's transportation systems, NY's seems to be a little behind-the-times. Not trying to offensive I apologize, but if you ever rode on France's MRT or China's MRT, they have relatively "new" subways that are pretty decent speed and very smooth and sleek modern look. So my question is, with all this money going to Next-train arrival message boards and rodents, why don't they update the sytems all together to modern rails? I can't even begin to imagine how much money NYC would make with the new rails if they had a modern system like London or Tokyo's MRT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 83,465 times
I don't think that is even possible. To support the those modern train, the tracks need to be updated. Someone will need to come up with a detail plan to look into how to update sections of one line at a time and a budget to do so effectively. I don't think they are even going to consider upgrading. You have to remember some stations only have one track. What will happen to those people when their line is being upgraded? They have to come up with replacement, may be a bus or something...

The other thing is those systems you mention does not run 24/7. So the wear and tear of the transportation system decreases. I remember when I was in HK. The subway/train system stops at midnight. The only way home is "taxi". How do you feel about MTA shutting down at night?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM

88 posts, read 420,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I can't even begin to imagine how much money NYC would make with the new rails if they had a modern system like London or Tokyo's MRT.
Why do you say?

Subway construction is MANY times cheaper in China than it is here. Higher costs of land, eminent domain, NIMBYism, materials, labor, etc etc.. They're building a lot in China right now, while the 2nd Ave subway has been an idea for what... a century now?

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
i'm just curious as to why the new trains look like souped up versions of the old trains?? and are pretty much colorless?

is it that hard to get a unique looking subway like europe and asia?? oh well. maybe in 30+ years when they update it again. =/

Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm just curious as to why the new trains look like souped up versions of the old trains?? and are pretty much colorless?

is it that hard to get a unique looking subway like europe and asia?? oh well. maybe in 30+ years when they update it again. =/
I definitely understand where your coming from. I think the only way they will change it is when it totally rusts down and electricity stops working with it. But they really should change it. If they changed it, I know for a fact that New York would have the #1 mass transit system in the world. But for the time being. the subways are old and getting rusty and need to be updated. All they have to do is make some kind of bus/car/light-rail system going temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: