Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Ethan Allen?
I'm thinking Crawford Furniture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,399 times
I've also heard Fancher Chair in Falconer makes chairs for alot of brands and they've been around for a long time.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Kids, play nice. The question was not what is the right language to use for the location of Jamestown, NY. Taxes are high on the people and higher on businesses. You ever ask yourself why does the southern states host car manufacturing plants like BMW or Merz. These are good paying jobs with great bennies. Cummins and SKF maybe one or two more companies are keeping that city afloat. You need a Tea Party movement in that city. NY has never had a (R) who was a concervative. We know, w/o a doubt will never, ever, see that vurtue out of a Dem.

Last edited by vote4me; 01-27-2011 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: bad speller

Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4me View Post
Kids, play nice. The question was not what is the right language to use for the location of Jamestown, NY. Taxes are high on the people and higher on businesses. You ever ask yourself why does the southern states host car manufacturing plants like BMW or Merz. These are good paying jobs with great bennies. Cummins and SKF maybe one or two more companies are keeping that city afloat. You need a Tea Party movement in that city. NY has never had a (R) who was a concervative. We know, w/o a doubt will never, ever, see that vurtue out of a Dem.
Heck, most of those jobs are going overseas and out of the country, let alone going "Down South". So, I wonder how long those Southern states will hold on to those jobs. Cost of living in an overall sense actually is not much different, if at all from Southern states in Upstate NY.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Upstate NY has long had economic troubles. It has been repeated victim to bad politics from downstate (it happens in Albany, but it's all NYC folk). It's also in the Appalachians which, other than in New England, seems to have always been cursed financially. So much so that the southern tier has made it into the ARC charter.

NY seems so rich and so poor at the same time. You can see a really nice wealthy looking spread and then a dirt road with broken old houses and poor farmers just over the hill. Of course most of the wealthy people are urban transplants (I can tell you I certainly didn't grow up with money).

Bad politics and mountain curse voodoo is my answer.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Heck, most of those jobs are going overseas and out of the country, let alone going "Down South". So, I wonder how long those Southern states will hold on to those jobs. Cost of living in an overall sense actually is not much different, if at all from Southern states in Upstate NY.
I'm sure in time industry's will cycle again. But what is forgotten is that the south has also lost it's manufacturing jobs in such industries as textiles which was probally the largest. Manufacturing nation wide has gone elswhere. What the south did learn as they reimerged was to be more diversified so the economy is not based on one predominate industry. They also have the advantage of not being run by the unions, this allows a lower manufacturing cost.

I often read the word "sprawl" when describing southern cities, yes land is cheap but what you have is larger jurisdictions/legal boundries with communities and you also have many seperate towns being lumped under one name by outsiders.

I also don't think there is a state in the union that doesn't have one area that feels another area is getting preferential treatment, for us it is NY South; I mean Northern Virginia.....

Old 01-29-2011, 09:59 PM

I thought Florida was NY South!...lol

Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
If it's north of 125th st, it's upstate.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

The Bronx is upstate? LOL

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,311 times
Jamestown is called upstate New York because other areas in NY state not located in New York City is called upstate.
I lived in Jamestown, NY and traveled to NYC during vacations. I moved to the coast, but I miss Jamestown very much. There's no place like the beautiful seasons and picture perfect little town charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York