Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would have to post this...but its very apparent that many businesses are dying on the vine up there. I took a drive down route 12 from the exit off I-81 and noticed a lot of boarded up businesses, including two motels. Alexandria Bay looks dead except for the weekend...not to mention one of their old resort gave up the ghost (Pine Tree Point). I know there has been a push towards making the area more family friendly and away from the bars....but it really looks like the economy is crashing up there. We talked about the Utica-Rochester-Syracuse community and its effect up there..all of those cities are struggling. I'm not very optimistic right now...tell me why im right or wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I don't know. It seems like people are still going up there. You still get Canadians that come over as well. Sackets Harbor seems to be doing fine. So, I would find it somewhat hard to believe.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
It can't be surprising that any resort area in NY is eventually drying up. The grinding burden of the property taxes in this state is relentless, and the bad current economy makes it worse.

I honestly do not know why upstate NY'ers cannot organize themselves enough to at least ask themselves why they want to continue throwing in their lot with a downstate-centered political bloc that has no interest in their longterm needs.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
It can't be surprising that any resort area in NY is eventually drying up. The grinding burden of the property taxes in this state is relentless, and the bad current economy makes it worse.

I honestly do not know why upstate NY'ers cannot organize themselves enough to at least ask themselves why they want to continue throwing in their lot with a downstate-centered political bloc that has no interest in their longterm needs.
For some of us, the property tax is offset by the lower priced housing.

Anyway, the last time I was up to the 1000 Islands, everything seemed lively. We were up in during May for camping and if there were boarded up shops, we didn't notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York