Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:42 PM

24 posts, read 127,214 times

Advertisements

Dear i'm informed?

Albany NY is one of the areas I am also considering. Are there new housing developments in that area and what are the ball park price ranges. How are the schools there? And what about shopping malls and restaurants? I went to college in New Paltz NY and really liked the area but my husband needs to transfer to a VA Hospital and I know Albany has one. Also are the people living there tolerant of those that have lived in NYC (I have a strong Brooklyn accent).

My main goal is to leave the south to get as far away as possible from these unfriendly people living down here that seem to hate New Yorkers.

I would appreciate yours or anyone elses feedback.

Best Regards,
NYCGIRL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarcos1
Dear i'm informed?

Albany NY is one of the areas I am also considering. Are there new housing developments in that area and what are the ball park price ranges. How are the schools there? And what about shopping malls and restaurants? I went to college in New Paltz NY and really liked the area but my husband needs to transfer to a VA Hospital and I know Albany has one. Also are the people living there tolerant of those that have lived in NYC (I have a strong Brooklyn accent).

My main goal is to leave the south to get as far away as possible from these unfriendly people living down here that seem to hate New Yorkers.

I would appreciate yours or anyone elses feedback.

Best Regards,
NYCGIRL
Well, I'm not terribly familiar with the Albany area. I only suggested it because you said you wanted to live someplace in NY that was affordable and close to NYC... and Albany fits that description. I know a ton about my hometown of Rochester and could offer whatever you wanted to know about that area; but it's a good 7 hours from NYC. I know EXACTLY what you mean about wanting to get out of the south where anyone from New York is satan reincarnated!. The people I find even more annoying are the fellow northern transplants who think I'm "crazy" for wanting to move back north. A lot of them are nice enough people but I really just feel like saying "and who asked YOU?"

Old 07-24-2006, 03:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
Just have to throw in my 2 cents cause I'm a New Yawker so I just can't help myself!
I've been living in So FL for the past 13 years and though it's quite different from NY, (a lot of which is due to the fact that in NY everyone speaks ENGLISH!) it is pretty much BECOMMING NY! (You should see the skyline...) And everyone here is FROM NY! So they certainly don't hate us down here, because they're all from up there! This is most true for Miami Beach & Boca. (Lived in both) Now I get that most of you don't like the heat, (and I don't like the Heat -as in basketball incase you didn't get it ) & I get that if you want NY you want the real thing! But like I said, just had to throw in my 2 cents here & tell you that NY is alive & well in the "south".

Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I guess it all comes down to where you feel comfortable. A lot of Nyers like to move near other New Yorkers. I have a brother who moved to Florida. Neighbors flocking down there like mad. My parents will probably move there, too. We want to move north but then again we always were a little different!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
I never lived in Albany proper, but I lived near Bennington, VT (which is only 45 minutes from Albany). I never met any hostility toward NYC people ANYWHERE here. You can bring the NYC, Brooklyn, and Jersey accents and there would be no problem.

Although I am leaning toward living in Albany due to the lower housing prices ($225k will get you a real nice house in the Capital Region), Greater Philadelphia is not a bad choice as a place to live. I recently lived in Bucks County until my job relocated me to this hellhole known as NJ. Actually, Philadelphia almost has a larger Albany feel. Its easy to get around, traffic is bad but not relentless, and the suburbs are generally really nice. It is a bit expensive, but nowhere near the scale of NYC.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,911 times
I grew up in Detroit and lived down South for 17 years in my 20s and 30s. Moved back North 7 years ago and never looked back.
My Dr. growing up decided that he was ready for a change. He closed his practice and moved to Florida. He came back a year later. I asked him why he moved back and he said, "We'll, weather isn't everything."

Old 07-27-2006, 12:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Your doctor is a smart man. That's probably why he's a doctor. lol

Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 325,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarcos1
Albany NY is one of the areas I am also considering.
I grew up in Stillwater outside of Saratoga. I do not know how much the houses go for in the area. Rent is pretty cheap though. You could easily get a huge/nice 3BR+ for under $1000 a month. But it is a really nice area. Albany has a lot of different type of restaurants and a decent nightlife. Some of the top school districts in the area would include Voorheesville, Bethlehem, Niskayuna, Shaker, and Ballston Spa according to Newsweek's top schools.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,276 times
Default Thanks for the warning!

Bklyngirl--

Thanks for posting your experiences in Schroon Lake, NY. I almost spent my money in that place and am glad I decided not to vacation in that town. I know most tourist towns don't like outsiders and the polite chatter in shops is all just a "show". It also angers me, since if it weren't for the so-called "cidiots" and "transit trash", these places would sink in a "New York minute"! lol. What also angers me is that many people from these regions come down to NYC for jobs or when they need decent healthcare. They hate us, but sure like our money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngirl@heart View Post
I moved my family from Brooklyn to Schroon Lake, NY in the Adirondack Mts and unfortunately after 5 years, we're looking to move. I think if we'd moved to Queensbury, we would have been a bit happier, more activites, housing, anonymity. The locals in my town can't stand city people, or summer people, 2nd home owners or the other wonderful pet names "cidiots" or "transit trash" , and they have no problem voicing their opinions loudly. Around the 4th of July you can go anywhere in this small town and here locals crying and moaning about the traffic and noise. They forget that without the tourists their happy little gift shops and quaint bistros would shut down because the townsfolk don't even support each other during the winter. A mere 6 miles north is a town that has people that still use the dreadful "N" word in everyday conversation and are amazingly rude and obnoxious. We are very friendly people and expected that feeling to be reciprocated in a small town in NYS. Unfortunately we were mistaken. There are people who come here and enjoy all that this area has to offer, esp the beauty of the Adirondacks, but they are the smart ones who stick to themselves and don't allow themselves to be sucked into the whole rumor mongering atmosphere that exists here. My experience is that you are better off moving here if you don't have children, because with kids you just have to be more vocal and visible and that's when people start taking the 8+ months of sub-zero weather to sit home and create wonderful rumors to spread about you. I sound bitter - I am. I am so tired of hearing how bad NYC people are when right here exists the total opposite of small town hospitality and friendliness. Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:47 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
GypsySoul,
I too am a northerner at heart. My brother made the move to NC 10 years ago and he is constantly trying to get us to move down there. I wouldn't go if you paid me. It's nice to visit but I would go crazy if I lived there. We live on LI and are looking to possibly relocate up north or maybe even west but there doesn't seem to be any jobs. We don't have to move for financial reasons. I am just getting tired of the LI "attitude".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York