U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM

453 posts, read 1,067,416 times

Advertisements

When I moved to AZ I thought I was getting away from the ratrace. Same ratrace here, except the rats out here have tatoos and pick-up trucks. An uneducated lowlife ratrace. You are better off in NY. At least people behave within certain guidelines even though they may be aggressive and snotty. I see things on a daily basis out here that I never saw in NY in 45 yrs, things that shock your sensibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 54,037 times
Default Regarding Moving North

I agree that in many ways moving north can be better, as Phish said Vermont is a beautiful place and it wins in my book as the nicest, cleanest and most friendly place, the autumns are amazing and the people are incredible. That said, there are now more and more cookie cutter malls and big box stores/condos in the cities and Vermont is looking more like New Hampshire and Maine. Upstate New York is similar in feel and getting popular with those getting out of Vermont (who moved from NYC). Seems that Upstate NY is a good bet for most, and it's easy to get to Vermont for a long weekend. After that why not Canada? Parts of Quebec and Ontario are pretty friendly and beautiful too. Okay I am going too far, but you see in Canada what living up North could be if there were better quality homes for half the price. The snow is not a problem because the homes are well insulated, solid, and the cities keep the streets plowed and clean. Northern cities do not have to be dirty, hard pressed, or freezing.

I've lived down South and southerners can be hard to take especially since the women tend to stick to their husbands, and not congregate and socialize the same way as up North. Everytime I go South, I start thinking about those beautiful brick homes in Quebec with great insulation, skylights, greenhouses, and heated floor tiles, or homes in Vermont or NY with woodburning stoves, floor to ceiling fireplaces, hot tubs. The cold is a great reason to have cider, chicken pot pie, roast duck, apple, blueberry pie, maple butter.

Nat

Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 PM

2,295 posts, read 281,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
When I moved to AZ I thought I was getting away from the ratrace. Same ratrace here, except the rats out here have tatoos and pick-up trucks. An uneducated lowlife ratrace. You are better off in NY. At least people behave within certain guidelines even though they may be aggressive and snotty. I see things on a daily basis out here that I never saw in NY in 45 yrs, things that shock your sensibilities.

I have to disagree with that, I lived in NY for 27 I've seen many uneducated lowlife there with pick-up trucks, can't say they are all in AZ. I am not a huge AZ fan but compared to NY it's paradise.

I am moving to NC though.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM

42 posts, read 101,405 times
This is a great thread.
I'm glad to hear other people are in the same situation. Sometimes you wonder if you are the only one feeling as though you should have never left NY.

Let those moving South have a grand time. That will give those of use presently living in the South (who CAN'T STAND IT) more room up North.

I live in FL and cannot wait to get back to NY. I've been here only 2 years. More than enough for me.
When I lived in NY I worked 2 jobs to survive and I would do it again just to move back.
My family & friends are up North. I feel there is no culture down here in South Florida.
Also, it is very congested expensive for "florida" living.

Best of Luck to all!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,563,441 times
I've always known I wasn't alone in wanting to move back to NY; we're a minority of sorts, but you're not alone. That's just the way it is for some people, there is someplace that they belong. Not everyone has that, some people don't want to settle in one place for good; and some people make many failed attempts at it. You have to go where you feel most comfortable and at home. That's a different place for everyone.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 PM

2,152 posts, read 7,188,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNY View Post
This is a great thread.
I'm glad to hear other people are in the same situation. Sometimes you wonder if you are the only one feeling as though you should have never left NY.

Let those moving South have a grand time. That will give those of use presently living in the South (who CAN'T STAND IT) more room up North.

I live in FL and cannot wait to get back to NY. I've been here only 2 years. More than enough for me.
When I lived in NY I worked 2 jobs to survive and I would do it again just to move back.
My family & friends are up North. I feel there is no culture down here in South Florida.
Also, it is very congested expensive for "florida" living.

Best of Luck to all!

LBNY
I appreciate where you're coming from. Florida is quite expensive and the average wages down there just don't help working people have much of a lifestyle.

The only way to move to Florida and enjoy it is with a lot of money.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:34 AM
col

126 posts, read 474,213 times
Default Yup I agree I guess

I live in Staten island. Moved from Brooklyn because brooklyn is a mess, high crime, over (shoddy) development w/o parking. if you enjoy a bit of culture you're ragged on in certain neighborhoods. Staten Island is the place to be if you want to live in NYC, culture, suburan with city amenities, quite ( in most areas) and mostly nice people. However, it is still expensive and getting even more so. I haven;'t been upstate in over 25 years but I would assume that the cost of living is lower there despite property taxes. Housing is cheaper upstate after all the real estates sites I've checked. Northerners are a certain breed its seems the cost of living and certain crime areas are sending us packing. I for one am looking at upstate new york and new london connnecticut...just convinced not to try plattsburg ny. If you aere moving to NYC try staten island though, we love it all except the expense.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 PM

404 posts, read 892,082 times
We are currently selling our beautiful cottage on Long Island and will relocate somewhere upstate or possibly VT. L.I. has become far too hectic for us retired folks. It's rush hour all day long here! We will miss many aspects of the area, the easy access to the city and the wonderful parks and beaches. Most of all I will miss sailing the Great South Bay. That said, we are looking into two possibilities, the Greenwich/Cambridge area and Saranac Lake in the Adirondaks. Does any one have any advise re: those two choices or other suggestions for similar towns?

Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 49,837 times
Default Love the harsh winters in Syracuse, NY

I know it sounds crazy, but a plus the about 4-5 months of winter in Syracuse is my allergies hibernate during that time frame. I love to go outside in the winter (unlike the rest of my family).

The cold doesn't bother me at all, it's all in the layers

I also love the Adirondacks, a little farther North. And the Main area, beautiful.

Chris Briel
Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 09-15-2006 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,765 times
Default Look at Ticonderoga

Hi, I'm just moving back to NY from Florida after 19 miserably hot years. I'm with you. I've lived in NYC and LI, but I'm going back to my sort of hometown of Ticonderoga. Really affordable houses, great small town lifestyle, easy commute to the NYC on Amtrak, historical, great schools, low crime, and undergoing a renaissance downtown. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York