Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
$200 for kid is a ridiculous amount of money for school supplys. A backpack is like $20 * * *
$125 if you get an ergonomic model made in Schenectady. TOUGH TRAVELER: BACKPACKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
$125 if you get an ergonomic model made in Schenectady. TOUGH TRAVELER: BACKPACKS
Those things last for ever though. I still have my grandmother's Tough Traveler bags that she used for everything from taking stuff to work to hiking across the state and parts of Canada with. They're still in great condition.

There are other bags that cost twice as much and don't last nearly as long.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM

326 posts, read 429,844 times
What a pointless thread. Easy to tell people to "go get a job" when unemployment rate already reached over 10% even with a drop of labor force participation.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 429,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
$200 for kid is a ridiculous amount of money for school supplys. A backpack is like $20, $10 on notepads, $5 on pencils and erasers, $5 on a couple folders. maybe a cheap calculator. What else is there?

I dont care what race you are, or if you are rich or not. if you want school supplys, get a job and spend your own money!!!! Why should the taxpayers have to pay for their school supplys? (which will not even be used on school supplies since there are no checks on this money)

Just got back from getting school supplies for my soon to be 7th grader. The school requires a $30 calculator for math class, I don't think that's cheap, particularly if someone steals it and you have to buy another. They specify the brand and model number each student must have. The kids can't have the cheap 15 cent folders Wally World sells as a loss leader, they have to have the $1 plastic ones. For social studies she has to have 7 different ones; each course specifies the number and color of the folders. Oh, and they specify the size/color of the binder, with the clear view on the outside, which costs twice as much as the regular binders. The special colors cost more too. These are requirements at a public school system. I walked out spending $60 for one child's school supplies. I have 2 more to buy school supplies for, not to mention clothing, and I'm laid off, so this was not cheap by a long shot.

In previous years in the elementary we were required to supply the classrooms with kleenex, crayons, pencils, and ziplock bags for use by all the students in the class. When I sent my youngest in with his large box of crayons, with his name on it, it had to be put in the kitty for everyone else to use. Same deal with pencils, etc. Then, when they ran low, everybody got notes to send in more supplies for the classroom. I would much rather prefer to supply my own children with things, rather than the whole class. And I would prefer to use our own discretion as to whether to buy the $2 black binder, or the $7 purple binder because that is the brand/color the school requires!

My oldest is changing school districts, and it is a breath of fresh air. Paper and folder (any kind) or spiral notebood for each class, whatever kind you buy is fine. With the economy the way it is, more schools should take the hint. Last year I couldn't find the fancy plastic folders in the colors they wanted they wanted for one grade, so my child got the cheap ones (in the colors required) The teacher sent them home with him; he could not use them. I then got a note sent home about how the teacher "had" to purchase my sons' school supplies for him!

We are in a rural school district where the majority of the kids qualify for free lunches, and has high unemployment with low paying call center jobs, so no, $200 is not a ridiculous amount for school supplies and school clothing. Have you priced kids sneakers lately?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
$200 per child for school supplies: The Real Deal - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

So they are spending the money on booze and cigs. what a shocker. you folks are so naive. You cant give these losers $200 that they can withdrawl at an ATM and expect them to actually do the right thing

Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
I don't disagree that there are some people that really need the money. Even if it is used to help pay the rent, that will help the family in some way, and that is ok with me. The reason that I do not agree is because of all the handouts we already give, and there will be a large amount of people who will take advantage of a situation like this. This could have been monitored so that it would only be used for school supplies, clothes etc.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I don't disagree that there are some people that really need the money. Even if it is used to help pay the rent, that will help the family in some way, and that is ok with me. The reason that I do not agree is because of all the handouts we already give, and there will be a large amount of people who will take advantage of a situation like this. This could have been monitored so that it would only be used for school supplies, clothes etc.
I understand, but I think the problem with any type of "charity" or "welfare" is that the risk of abuse is there. I think considering the times, I can see why this is happening, but some get by without such help. I think people have to put things into perspective and think, "Do the people that get such help actually want it that way?" Should people get upset that people get help, like those that don't need it, want it for some reason?

Even if every person worked, we would then complain about inflation because everyone working at the same time isn't a good thing either due to this. I've read that the economy would need to have a 6% unemployment rate for an economy to be stable. So, there will always be people that need assistance and we have to take in account the "working poor", as well. So, it is a tough thing to deal with.

Here's some interesting information I came across online: People on welfare should just find jobs.

BTW- This isn't against cheese or anyone else, but sometimes, we don't get all of the information we need to think rationally about "welfare" or what it means. Here's another example that has probably hurt this state more than any other form of "welfare": http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-corporatewelfare.htm and some others: http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfarecharity.htm
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-runawaywelfare.htm
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfaretrap.htm
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfarepoverty.htm (I'm not either "liberal" or "conservative", but I just think the information is interesting)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-14-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
Default I'm a teacher and...

Sorry folks, I see it every year at the beginning of school. The Rotary Club brings in skid loads of school supplies and coats, and by the end of the day, most of it is in the trash because it is not in style. Very ungrateful kids with major attitudes they think that the world owes them everything, and that is how they will get on in life. I’m not saying all of them, but way more than there should be.
And yes those checks (actually they were debit cards) were being used to buy big screen TV’s, jewelry and other non-school items. A Wal-Mart store near where I lived called the newspaper about it they were so mad. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat View Post
Just got back from getting school supplies for my soon to be 7th grader. The school requires a $30 calculator for math class, I don't think that's cheap, particularly if someone steals it and you have to buy another. They specify the brand and model number each student must have. The kids can't have the cheap 15 cent folders Wally World sells as a loss leader, they have to have the $1 plastic ones. For social studies she has to have 7 different ones; each course specifies the number and color of the folders. Oh, and they specify the size/color of the binder, with the clear view on the outside, which costs twice as much as the regular binders. The special colors cost more too. These are requirements at a public school system. I walked out spending $60 for one child's school supplies. I have 2 more to buy school supplies for, not to mention clothing, and I'm laid off, so this was not cheap by a long shot.

In previous years in the elementary we were required to supply the classrooms with kleenex, crayons, pencils, and ziplock bags for use by all the students in the class. When I sent my youngest in with his large box of crayons, with his name on it, it had to be put in the kitty for everyone else to use. Same deal with pencils, etc. Then, when they ran low, everybody got notes to send in more supplies for the classroom. I would much rather prefer to supply my own children with things, rather than the whole class. And I would prefer to use our own discretion as to whether to buy the $2 black binder, or the $7 purple binder because that is the brand/color the school requires!

My oldest is changing school districts, and it is a breath of fresh air. Paper and folder (any kind) or spiral notebood for each class, whatever kind you buy is fine. With the economy the way it is, more schools should take the hint. Last year I couldn't find the fancy plastic folders in the colors they wanted they wanted for one grade, so my child got the cheap ones (in the colors required) The teacher sent them home with him; he could not use them. I then got a note sent home about how the teacher "had" to purchase my sons' school supplies for him!

We are in a rural school district where the majority of the kids qualify for free lunches, and has high unemployment with low paying call center jobs, so no, $200 is not a ridiculous amount for school supplies and school clothing. Have you priced kids sneakers lately?
This sounds awful. Don't you have a school board or something to discuss this craziness? How can they require a certain type of notebook or folder? I won't even get into calculators as they are the real enemy. Forget the kids, I have seen teachers who do not know how to multiply/divide without the help of a calculator.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla2009 View Post
Sorry folks, I see it every year at the beginning of school. The Rotary Club brings in skid loads of school supplies and coats, and by the end of the day, most of it is in the trash because it is not in style. Very ungrateful kids with major attitudes they think that the world owes them everything, and that is how they will get on in life. I’m not saying all of them, but way more than there should be.
And yes those checks (actually they were debit cards) were being used to buy big screen TV’s, jewelry and other non-school items. A Wal-Mart store near where I lived called the newspaper about it they were so mad. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it.
See I don't buy this. It seems to me, people would rather bring extreme examples to criticize the whole idea of giving. There may be some cases, but I don't believe majority of people are evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: