Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM

119 posts, read 429,232 times

Advertisements

I agree with you. Only the bad stuff gets any publicity. People who do good, or use it for the right thing aren't interesting enough. People who do the right thing for their children never get it noticed, but the ones who do anything wrong are immediately the majority. That is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
well not all people who are on welfare are in it because they want its matter of getting bye try to budget 17.50 dollers a day for 3 people for food and 528 a month for bills when your rent is 615. I thin this is a good thing for those who need it and you need to stop criticizing people who are on it. I have finished college and I have been working an internship for 3 months now 8 am to 5 pm and I have 2 children and I do not plan to have any more.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM

328 posts, read 886,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Welfare Families Getting Back to School Funds (http://www.wgrz.com/news/investigative/youpaidforit/story.aspx?storyid=69383&catid=220 - broken link)

Does anyone really think this money will get spent on school supplies? They will go to the ATM, take out the $200 and spend it on booze or crack.

This is out of control. This is what tax dollars are being spent on?
What about all of the middle class idiots who took out loans they could not afford and filed for bankruptcy. They also drink quite a bit of booze and I guess their choice of drug is cocaine. Did you know 90% of all dollar bills are laced with cocaine. I hate having to pay for irrresponsible people of all economic backgrounds, don't you.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
$200 for kid is a ridiculous amount of money for school supplys. A backpack is like $20, $10 on notepads, $5 on pencils and erasers, $5 on a couple folders. maybe a cheap calculator. What else is there?

I dont care what race you are, or if you are rich or not. if you want school supplys, get a job and spend your own money!!!! Why should the taxpayers have to pay for their school supplys? (which will not even be used on school supplies since there are no checks on this money)
Graphing calculators (required in HS) start at $90 on sale. We have teachers wanting folders and notebooks for each subject, crayons, colored pencils, rulers, dry erase boards with markers, white out, tissues, pencils, pens (color specific), erasable pens, baby wipes (in place of hand sanitizer -- now banned) A decent backpack is $25 on sale. The cheapies usually don't make it through the year with the older children -- too much stuff in them, the zippers let go.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Graphing calculators (required in HS) start at $90 on sale. We have teachers wanting folders and notebooks for each subject, crayons, colored pencils, rulers, dry erase boards with markers, white out, tissues, pencils, pens (color specific), erasable pens, baby wipes (in place of hand sanitizer -- now banned) A decent backpack is $25 on sale. The cheapies usually don't make it through the year with the older children -- too much stuff in them, the zippers let go.
Not to derail, but what? When did hand sanitizer get banned?

I didn't notice it on the supply list this year but thought it was because the school installed the pump dispensers all over the school (the wall kind)... but yeah I did notice that the youngest's list required wipes.

Backpacks are crazy. We buy them at thrift stores through the year and then if it rips or the zippers die we have plenty of backup. The brand new ones die as often as the used so why not buy used? Goodwill has them usually for about $4, other thrifts we can find them from $1 to $3!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 AM

53 posts, read 108,986 times
Keynesianism, guys

Conservatives might disagree (they tend to favor supply side economics, or tax cuts to businesses/the wealthy) but Keynes's idea is to spend money in a recession to create public projects/services that will end up stimulating the economy. The lower class spends the most on essential items, providing the government the best bang for their buck, so to speak. Obama believes in this, I believe in this, and it looks like the state of New York does too.

Even if they don't buy school supplies (but still buy at retail)...the end result is the same. It makes sense financially to do this in a recession; we'll balance the budget when we can, but now is definitely not the time to do so (we learned that mistake from the New Deal).

Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
This sounds awful. Don't you have a school board or something to discuss this craziness? How can they require a certain type of notebook or folder? I won't even get into calculators as they are the real enemy. Forget the kids, I have seen teachers who do not know how to multiply/divide without the help of a calculator.
As an aspiring math teacher, I can both see the need for calculators and the overuse of them. Unfortunately, in the real world, people use calculators now, so knowing how to use one is an important skill. And so much is expected in school nowadays that for the mundane parts of complex calculations, the time savings of a calculator has merit. I this sense I think the need for graphing calculators for high school (sometimes 8th grade as well) makes sense but not below that.

That said, I think we are also getting to the point where there are teachers who can't multiply and divide without a calculator and this only means that that will be more true for the next generation of teachers.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 19,192 times
Cool This doesn't apply to everyOne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I think this was financed by a millionaire, so if that is 100% true it won't come from our pockets. Not all families are on crack either, I have relatives that use it because of the lack of a good job.

It can act as a stimulus for NYS, however it is not long term which we need. If the money was given to the wealthy, they would more likely hang on to it than spend it. I would rather see them lower taxes with it, or bring back the star program. But I had heard on the radio, there was some regulation preventing NY from using it to lower taxes. Blah.

This doesn't apply to all! I'm a mother that work yet my income isn't enough and I recieve Foodstamps. Therefore this money came in great! Because both my children wear uniforms to school. I have to purchase there uniforms from Flynn O'hara web site and lord Knows It's not cheap my daughter Skirt is forty eight dollars. Just the skirt . so No NBNot all will be Cracking it up!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 19,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa25 View Post
well not all people who are on welfare are in it because they want its matter of getting bye try to budget 17.50 dollers a day for 3 people for food and 528 a month for bills when your rent is 615. I thin this is a good thing for those who need it and you need to stop criticizing people who are on it. I have finished college and I have been working an internship for 3 months now 8 am to 5 pm and I have 2 children and I do not plan to have any more.

I agree with you! I have a bachelors in Business administration and I'm working towards my master and I still Need Foodstamps!

Last edited by Gospelvibes; 08-31-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospelvibes View Post
I agree with you! I have a bachelors in Business administration and I'm working towards my master and I still Need Foodstamps!
move out of NYC...

If you have a BA in Business admin you can do better for yourself then living in NYC and being on foodstamps. unless you went to some joke of a college that allowed you to graduate with absolutely no intelligence or interpersonal skills, you can move and make a decent living with no government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: