Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,327 times

Advertisements

I wondering why no one responded to my unclaimed funds post. Over 170 view but no responses, do people not believe or think it's a leading spam post?

I can't be the only one who has found money. Especially now with the new federal bank regulations, if you don't have any activity in an account for 3 years and earning interest in not considered activity, you must have a minimum of 1 dollar credit or debit. After that the bank starts a dormant account process and a year later poof your money is sent to your states comptrollers office.

Oh well, I just thought I would do something nice.

njmike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I saw it and I checked and found nothing. It was a waste of my time.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Was it a waste of time or now you know you don't have any unclaimed funds. Isn't that good?

I didn't have any either but I found money for family and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Old 08-26-2009, 01:58 PM

118 posts, read 626,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

So nice of people to be rude in their replies here.

I also checked out the site....I personally did not have any unclaimed funds, however I found quite a few family and friends names and passed the information on. I find it so strange how thousands and thousands of people have no clue that the government is holding money for them.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 AM

That's great, I'm sure they were surprised and grateful.

I think there are a variety of reasons the government has the money;
1. you did forget about it, and I think very often it could be a senior or a deceased relative. I have had to go through the "discovery process" 3 times now and currently helping my wife with her moms estate. He mom was meticulous but still she missed listing 10k annuity and 3k cd. I discovered these accounts by mulling though stacks of paper. If I had not found them in no short time it would have been passed to the state.

2. Think about all of the mergers and acquisitions that happened in the last decade, a fully functional person has a hard time keeping up with it. Now with all the scam check that come in the mail, and if you deposit them you are automatically signing up for some thing, so we now though out unfamiliar mail and checks. When you look at the listing for people may are from vendors for things like rebates, deposits, interest on your money. Even if you cash a life insurance policy, if it was due for an interest payment it may go into the account after your check was received.

3. Then the type-o's was you name missed spelled at some point or did your house # change ?

4. Do you rent? check where you use to live. The payer is not going to chase you down and the postal forwarding process may have expired, so the payer just sends the money to the state.

The reasons I'm sure are limit less so just looking every now and then is worth it, I think.

Did you know the FDIC also has a listing of unclaimed funds.

How about if you own a company do you think you employees are as diligent as you would want or expect. Just for fun the name section "the Town" or two letter like A A and see all the listing for companies, townships, cities and other government entities that come up.

It is unbelievable how much money is there.

For me this is my little "pay-forward" deed. I can't imaging to many bad ripples in the pond of life being created from my original post.

Treasures in life may not be monetary but rewards of thanks and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
So nice of people to be rude in their replies here.

I also checked out the site....I personally did not have any unclaimed funds, however I found quite a few family and friends names and passed the information on. I find it so strange how thousands and thousands of people have no clue that the government is holding money for them.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Where's the link from the original post? I never saw your original post so I have no idea what you're even talking about:P

Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Although my login is new jersey mike I posted in New York State main section.

NYS Unclaimed Funds it's Deffinitely Worth a Look

That was probably the confusion. But where ever you are just google your state and unclaimed funds. That should get you started or even better try this
Missing Money Free Search for Unclaimed Property - Officially endorsed By The States

and click on the map. New jersey and other states use the "missing money" site.
click on NY and it will direct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Where's the link from the original post? I never saw your original post so I have no idea what you're even talking about:P

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
NJMike,
I found out about unclaimed funds about ten years ago. Ironically I found out about it when I was called in to the IRS for an audit. Many years ago I had a trucking business and I had several trucks leased to various companies. My trucks operated in 49 states plus Canada. I closed the business down in 1982 and went to a single truck operation. About fifteen years later was when I got the call for the IRS audit. During that audit the auditor asked me why I hadn't declared interest income from a certain credit union? I told him I had never heard of that credit union. He gave me the name and contact information so I could check it out. I called the number and immediately I recognized the voice of the phone receptionist. The credit union was one that was set up for a company that I had trucks leased to when I had a fleet. That company had sold to another company and changed names. I had changed addresses and they did not know how to contact me. After so many years they turned that money back to the State Treasurer. By that time the annual interest was enough that when I didn't report it on my IRS-1099(?) it got their attention. I cashed out a pretty substantial amount of money from that credit union and sent the IRS their share, with a thank you note LOL.
GL2

Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
A good place to start a search for "unclaimed funds" is a 50states.com

I think their is a listing for each state for "unclaimed funds".
After the IRS audit and finding unclaimed money, that I mentioned in my earlier response to NJMike,
I did a State by State search for unclaimed funds that I might have in all the states that I had operated a truck in. I found several thousand dollars in over payments on road use taxes, fuel taxes etc. It was a nice surprise to get these checks after being out of the business for over ten years.

GL2

Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM

That's great GL2

I may have just found another for my uncle, a payment from a hospital.

I see after submitting the paperwork and if the ID verifies with SSN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York