Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 PM

62 posts, read 310,936 times

Advertisements

I know this is a longshot, but I thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a place with cute historic homes (like they have on the East Coast) for around $110k, lots of educated people (college town?), low humidity in the summer, and that isn't in Colorado. I would move to Ithaca NY, except for the humidity in the summer and narrow job possibilities. Is there anywhere like this? Snow is no problem--I just want to avoid hot and humid summers! I was born and raised in California and am in a good position to buy a starter home, but West Coast boxy architecture leaves me emotionally cold. I just can't envision spending my hard earned savings on some ugly little ranch-box house. I have always adored colonial/Victorian cottages and I can't find those on the West Coast for under a million. In upstate NY and North Carolina they're everywhere, for around 50k! I see these houses and feel I' going to die of love for them and want to jump on a plane and go there now--but then I remember the humid summers and I'm afraid those are a deal-breaker. Does my perfect place exist anywhere? Vermont? Thanks so much for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 02:16 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
I know this is a longshot, but I thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a place with cute historic homes (like they have on the East Coast) for around $110k, lots of educated people (college town?), low humidity in the summer, and that isn't in Colorado. I would move to Ithaca NY, except for the humidity in the summer and narrow job possibilities. Is there anywhere like this? Snow is no problem--I just want to avoid hot and humid summers! I was born and raised in California and am in a good position to buy a starter home, but West Coast boxy architecture leaves me emotionally cold. I just can't envision spending my hard earned savings on some ugly little ranch-box house. I have always adored colonial/Victorian cottages and I can't find those on the West Coast for under a million. In upstate NY and North Carolina they're everywhere, for around 50k! I see these houses and feel I' going to die of love for them and want to jump on a plane and go there now--but then I remember the humid summers and I'm afraid those are a deal-breaker. Does my perfect place exist anywhere? Vermont? Thanks so much for any input.
Actually, Ithaca has a relatively healthy economy due to Cornell University, Ithaca College and nearby Tompkins-Cortland Community College, among other places in the area.

Also, while it can get humid here, we do get a breeze a lot of times and the temps aren't usually as high to begin with.

You might want to check places like: Geneva, Canandaigua and Plattsburgh, among others out.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Buffalo supposedly has the least humid summer weather of any Northeast location.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Buffalo supposedly has the least humid summer weather of any Northeast location.
and you can get a Victorian at a very affordable price there. You might like the Elmwood, Allentown and North Buffalo areas of the city. Maybe in the suburban villages too.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
I doubt if there is anywhere in the USA that can meet that non-humid catch. Spokane , WA perhaps?
4 sure not in east or midwest.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM

260 posts, read 768,492 times
Port Townsend, Washington has some lovely views and lots of Victorians

Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
You won't find all of these criteria met in a single location. if you have a high density of highly educated people (i.e. college town) you'll have fairly high real estate prices to match. The $50K figure for a cute Victorian cottage is only if you find one that is a serious fixer-upper and even then only in towns that may not meet some of the other criteria. $110K is still a stretch in many areas but it's a function of the neighborhood. I don't think Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo are especially humid on the summer for more than two to three weeks in total but it's not as pleasant as the coastal WA state area. Then again... housing prices are way cheaper here.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Oswego, NY .

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Maybe I just can't handle heat, but I think pretty much anywhere in NY gets humid in the summer.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The thing about humidity in the Northeast is that it comes and goes in spells and the entire season where high humidity makes a difference (the hottest months) is generally fairly short.

I had a friend in Texas say that Summer in New York is as bad as Texas. That is true except for the fact that Summer in Texas is 5 months long. The number of days in most of NY that are above 90 degrees and 90% humidity can be counted on your fingers. If you have some sort of AC, even that is easy to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York