U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,289 times
Thumbs up Mountain Lodge

I'm buying a home in Mountain Lodge. I haven't moved in yet but I am very anxious to get in there. I've looked around the area a couple times in the past and finally found the right house at the right price. I was intimidated by the trails, but I found a house with easy access to the main, paved road. The area is really beautiful and, because of the trees, the houses are very private. It is out of town but shopping and restaurants are an easy drive. I can see us living there for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM

505 posts, read 1,483,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFP View Post
I'm buying a home in Mountain Lodge. I haven't moved in yet but I am very anxious to get in there. I've looked around the area a couple times in the past and finally found the right house at the right price. I was intimidated by the trails, but I found a house with easy access to the main, paved road. The area is really beautiful and, because of the trees, the houses are very private. It is out of town but shopping and restaurants are an easy drive. I can see us living there for a long time.
Good for you and I wish you the best of luck! When are you closing? In NY it can be a real pain if you haven't done it yet.

~Joey

Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,207 times
I am considering moving to the Monroe area. I am very concerned about the area being taken over by the Hasidics. I would not want to be an outsider in my own town. I am also concerned with the prospect of huge property tax increases due to the explosive growth in the hasidic community.

I especially like Highland Mills and Central Valley. Any insights into those communites?

Thanks,
JROD123

Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM

46 posts, read 152,498 times
I think 'taken over' is a little strong. If you like the area, I'm sure you'll be fine...

Besides, I heard their neighborhood watch is pretty tough!!!
Moderator cut: Post original content only

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-13-2008 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 30,830 times
Hey I'll be moving into ML over the next few weeks, and I thought the roads were pretty damn horrific.

But I like an adventure, that's what its all about!!

I just like to think about what my friends will say when I tell them how to get to my house!! hahahha. They're so used to smooth city roads, they're gonna flip out the minute they see gravel.

ANYWAY, besides the roads, which, hey, some of these homes were built in the 20's and 30's and people made it up there in the cars of the times with solid rubber tires and they did pretty well, I'd imagine, I think the place is going to be perfect for me!

I know the thread is old, but seriously, its a nice place from what I can tell. Peaceful, Serene.

It's not for everybody, but everybody interested should have a look

Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,448 times
I would love for this thread to come alive now a year later..

Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 PM

247 posts, read 399,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod123 View Post
I am considering moving to the Monroe area. I am very concerned about the area being taken over by the Hasidics. I would not want to be an outsider in my own town. I am also concerned with the prospect of huge property tax increases due to the explosive growth in the hasidic community.

I especially like Highland Mills and Central Valley. Any insights into those communites?

Thanks,
JROD123

I've had your concern as well. From what I hear......the Kiryas Joel are looking to expand.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,545,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutter View Post
I would love for this thread to come alive now a year later..
I'm not the moderator, but wouldn't it have been better to start your own thread? That said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
I've had your concern as well. From what I hear......the Kiryas Joel are looking to expand.
Isn't Kiryas Joel now it's own separate village that instead of neighbors being concerned the gov't can waste it's resources on "church vs. state" issues in dealing with it? Maybe worst case the same thing can be done with Monroe. I think in Rockland, I think the village of New Square got formed in a similar way, separating from New City or something. I agree with you though if it's a matter of your whole block/development being bought to expand KJ and now you have to move.....

Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,879 times
well, we just came back from viewing a few properties at MLP and all I can say, is it is horrible. One side is unpaved, MLP side and the other is paved. Our houses were on unpaved side. the roads are littered with deep potholes and fit one car in one direction at a time, so you have to pull into someone drive way so a car coming in the opposite direction can pass. The house, had smashed windows and the man hosue i came to see apparently had it's door broken into as well...properties are generally run down but a few , very few are actually well maintained. There was a group of teen males hanging around mailboxes above firehouse...mailboxes are run down..i wouldnt trust mail to be delivered there at all. Men walking around drinking bottles of beer in open. Inside houses unmainted and outdated..Horrible. Why pay 60k for a shack that requre at least another 20k to update and come to code. Not a good place. Oh..and lots of "beware of dog' signs everywhere...indicator of high crime. the house we looked at had a front yard but then about three feet in the back and a steep drop down to the next property. homes are small and very close together. Not a good place for us at all.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM

39 posts, read 30,830 times
beware of dog signs arent necessarily indicators of high crime. I didn't see any crime going on when I lived in MLP for 6 months. It's more of a "plz dont sue my ass when the dog bites you coz I had a sign out front" type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York