Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times

Advertisements

hey all, My wife and I have been thinking of moving up to CNY or WNY in a few years, and we were wondering about the taxes out there. I keep reading about how high they are. We currently live in Westchester County and pay "high" taxes here.
We would like to move north of syracuse, maybe closer to watertown, or ft drum for CNY, or wyoming, Alleganny counties.
Currently we pay about $5000 a year on an 80'x100' lot and our house in about 1600 sq feet.
We would like to buy a 4 bedroom home with garage, and land, anything from 10 acres to a hundred acres. Home prices seem remarkebly low out there compared to here.
What can I expect to pay on real estate taxes out there on a 4 bedroom home with 10 acres or more? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Grouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,613 times
You will do WAY better in Wyoming county. Wyoming county has some of the lowest taxes around here. That being said, NY's income taxes are the highest in the country, property taxes are the highest, there are fees for everything around here.

There are other areas with as cheap housing as WNY or CNY, take a look at Ohio, or even Kentucky. Erie, Pennsylvania has lower taxes and lower housing costs that WNY or CNY, and it's a great little city. If you have no particular reason to live in WNY, look at the trend, people are leaving very quickly. No one likes it around here except people who were born here and think that losing half your paycheck to taxes of all sorts is normal.

As beautiful as this area is, unless you have family or friends in the area who are compelling you to move, look elsewhere.

This is coming from someone who got tricked into thinking Buffalo wasn't that bad 5 years ago, and am finally getting out after a lot of money and time wasted.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
I've noticed that Allegany county property taxes are significantly lower in comparison to counties to the east (Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie), probably because Allegany has no big population center, pretty remote. I would guess Allegany county taxes are similar to that of Pennsylvania, and for the home you described, taxes maybe would be in the $1.5-4K range depending on location.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
hey all, My wife and I have been thinking of moving up to CNY or WNY in a few years, and we were wondering about the taxes out there. I keep reading about how high they are. We currently live in Westchester County and pay "high" taxes here.
We would like to move north of syracuse, maybe closer to watertown, or ft drum for CNY, or wyoming, Alleganny counties.
Currently we pay about $5000 a year on an 80'x100' lot and our house in about 1600 sq feet.
We would like to buy a 4 bedroom home with garage, and land, anything from 10 acres to a hundred acres. Home prices seem remarkebly low out there compared to here.
What can I expect to pay on real estate taxes out there on a 4 bedroom home with 10 acres or more? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Grouse
we have a 2,300 sq ft colonial built in the 80's. 4br 3 bath 1/3 acre lot, 2 car garage, central air and fireplace etc. Total school and county property taxes = $3,500 (after regular STAR)in suburban Niagara County. Tax includes sewer and garbage fees. Total water bills per year are about $300.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Taxes in Allegany County can be pretty high even for NY. Many areas within the county will run you $5K-$6K per $100K assessed value. Even the cheaper areas of the county are $3800+/$100K.

Wyoming County isn't quite as high as Allegany. The majority of the County is in the $2500-$3500/$100K range (though there are areas that run above $4000K/$100K).

Based on tax rates alone Watertown is much better than either Allegany or Wyoming County. Depending on the school district, taxes in the Watetown area will be $1750-$2200/$100K.

If you are interested in being in a smaller town yet close to a larger metro area you may consider some of the rural areas of Erie County. Places like Sardinia, Wales & Elma have rates similar to Watertown.

Another lower tax area is the Chautauqua Lake school district in Chautauqua County. It is composed of the towns of Mayville, Chautauqua, some of Ellery & some of North Harmony. It is near Jamestown & is some very beautiful country.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM

10 posts, read 45,720 times
Does anyone know how the counties in the lower tier compare? We are thinking of building a cabin/chalet in Chautauqua County...anyone know how they compare?

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacopd View Post
Does anyone know how the counties in the lower tier compare? We are thinking of building a cabin/chalet in Chautauqua County...anyone know how they compare?

If you can get land in the area I mentioned above (within the Chautauqua Lake School District) you would be in decent shape for taxes. The rest of Chautauqua County is pretty high, tax rates are roughly $2800 - $4600/$100K assessed value (the majority of rates fall in the high $2000's - mid $3000's/$100K).

Cattaraugus County is very similar. Decent taxes in most of the Ellicottville School District (though higher in the part of Franklinville that is within the ESD). Rates across the rest of the county are in a similar range as Chautauqua County.

I have a MS Excel spreadsheet that lists all of the villages & towns in NY with the total property & school tax rates for 2008 listed. I can't get it to attach here (maybe because of the format?) but if you want to pm me an email address I'd be happy to pass it along to you.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
I was wrong. I found a file on the web (just search NY state counties along with tax rank) and it does list Allegany county as very high and Wyoming county as very low, as jblake indicates. From my limited experience, I found the opposite in Allegany, but I wonder if it just may be that property values are lower in Allegany county compared to equivalent properties say in Chaut. county. From my exp., taxes in Chaut. county can be very high in certain areas (Lake Erie, Westfield village, anywhere around Chaut.Lake, anywhere around Findley Lake), but pretty reasonable in other areas which are still very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York