Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times

Advertisements

Governor Patterson and the NYS Legislature have deemed that ALL NYS License plates need to be replaced at a cost of $25 starting in April 2010. Their rationale supposedly is that plates issued prior to 2001 do not have sufficient reflectivity. But it will also bring in millions of dollars to NYS coffers, which I suspect is the REAL reason.

Personally, I find this incredibly wasteful of MY money as I purchased special Bluebird plates at extra cost about 10 years ago, and pay extra for the joy of these special plates. (I have enjoyed them.) The plates are in excellent condition, so I have no desire to replace them at this time, and if forced to do so, will go back to regular plates. So there NYS, you'll lose.

Also, in light of going green, it is wasteful in terms of resources in the manufacturing of new plates, and wasteful in terms of disposal of the old, perfectly fine plates and for what...to get more money to state.

Mod cut: No soliciting

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-23-2009 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: No soliciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
The link to the website you mentioned currently does not work.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
This governor is such a putz! My plate is from 2005. It's a NASCAR plate and it costs me over $150 every two years for the luxury of a license plate! If I am forced to get a new plate - even though I purchased this plate and own it forever (I paid a few hundred $$$ for it when I got my car) I will go back to the ghetto NYS standard one. I will miss my NASCAR plate, but I am sooooooooooo sick of being nickeled and dimed to death with this jerk and his tax of the week. Every week there's a new tax. He needs to get his ***** out of Albany and go back to the city. They can keep him and his cronies.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
There is NO need to charge for the plate for the change over-why? Never have before when NYS decided to change them over. It's a bunch of made up bull! It's bad enough here in Dutchess I am getting royally screwed over by the MTA tax. I haven't been on a train to NYC in over 15 years! Why should I have to fund those boneheads.

My CDL license is now going to cost me over $180! If I lived in SC it's $15! To have the SAME federal license! It's NOT right. I can't WAIT to see what it'll now cost me to register my camper and small boat. My pickup is FORCED to be registered as commercial. Because of it's weight. It's my FAMILY transporter! NOT a vehicle for a job-and if I go to NYC-I have to put NOT FOR HIRE on it. It's baloney! So because of the weight,it being a commercial plate and it's a vanity plate-it's going to be a outrageous amount-I think she told me it's going to be $350! That's robbery! And I can't even drive it on the Taconic-so as a Mom-I don't have full access to every road the rest of you do-yet I have to payout the most. I hope NY gets smart and votes everyone of these morons out of office when their terms are out. I am tire of taking a beating for everything. It IS going to force me to move out of NY and I'll drive a school bus somewhere warm and no snow.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
The new license plate scam that is being perpetuated on the NYS driving public is outrageous. But do not simply blame Gov Patterson, our dysfunctional State Legislature is equally responsible for this as well. We just can't keep taking this laying down. It is especially bad for upstate NY as we do not really have effective mass transit and considering distances involved, probably won't for a long time.

I too, have a specialty license plate, the Bluebird plate. You know the state bird of NY. If forced to buy new plates, I will turn in my birds, and go for the regular plates. Guess what? This means the state will be getting LESS money out of me. Ha! Hope no one buys any more specialty plates after this.

Additional information concerning this story can be found at: St. Lawrence County clerk leads online fight against new license plates in New York | News from The Post-Standard -

Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,699 times
Angry Patty'S NoNewPlates

I really resent this unnecessary, greedy manipulative attempt to rob us of the freedom of having transportation. We have several plates, 2 cars, a camper, boat trailer, utility trailer for transporting equipment and an enclosed trailer for inclement weather service. Obviously we will have to cancel all the unnecessary ones which will eliminate 5 in our case so the state only stands to lose money. That's what you get for trying to milk the public.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,087 times
I grew up in NY, and would have LOVED to return after I retire from the military. The taxes and corrupt political structure made me look elsewhere. I can enjoy similar look and feel for a fraction of the cost. I voted with my feet. NY is headed down hill, right behind California. Too bad.

Tax refugees staging escape from New York

I

Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 79,798 times
There was a time a fw years ago where you had to pay extra in order to keep your old plate....

Old 11-05-2009, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,366 times
Believe it or not, it could be worse. I moved to Buffalo from Atlanta, GA upon retiring for the relatively inexpensive housing. In Georgia and most southern states, they levy an annual "ad valorem" tax on your vehicles, including cars/trucks, trailers, boats etc. This annual tax came to an average of over $300/yr per vehicle depending upon the current value of the vehicle. Re-registration in Georgia was an annual affair too and the fees are similar to NY registration every two years. So, it could be worse.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,213 times
I think its a waste of my money to get new plates when a few years ago everyone was forced to get new plates. Plus, I don't want some stupid chip in my plate! Every time I have to deal with the DMV or something vehicle-related I feel like I'm getting ripped off! The whole idea with these new plates they want really pisses me off! >:[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York