Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
People from Albany and Syracuse are very different than people from NYC from what I observed, or at least I find people from NYC not as pessimistic as people from Albany.

I agree that people from WNY (Rochester and Buffalo) are more friendly and down to earth than people from the eastern part of the state.
Coming from Rochester and working extensively in Syracuse and Albany I can't see how anybody could see any difference in the people. They are exactly the same. People in Albany are no more or less down to earth than people from Rochester. They are both mid sized upstate metros with the same cultures and same people. Maybe I see it differently because I travel out of state so much for my job. Now NYC on the other hand is a different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Completely disagree. Downstate NYers are straight shooters and WNYers tends to be passive aggressive with an inferiority complex to Downstate. Oh, Go Giants !!!!
Actually I see it as quite the opposite. I went to school in Buffalo with a lot of downstaters. They were constantly thumping their chest about how great it was down there, how much better it was than Buffalo/Rochester. It seemed the majority of them were compensating for something. Really odd. They seemed to all have a huge inferiority complex.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Coming from Rochester and working extensively in Syracuse and Albany I can't see how anybody could see any difference in the people. They are exactly the same. People in Albany are no more or less down to earth than people from Rochester. They are both mid sized upstate metros with the same cultures and same people. Maybe I see it differently because I travel out of state so much for my job. Now NYC on the other hand is a different animal.
I see a pretty big difference between people from Albany and people from the western part of the state. To me, Albany is still on the fringe of the Bos-Wash corridor. The northern suburbs of NYC peter out in Northern Dutchess, and the Albany southern suburbs end in southern Colombia county- not a huge break in between.

I understand it's not in Bo-Wash, but the towns north of Albany have heavy vacation areas for people from downstate, NJ, CT, Boston, etc. You will not find a city like Saratoga Springs or Lake George anywhere else in the state.

Its more cosmopolitan, fast paced, and people there have a mix of upstate and downstate influences. As you go west, it changes, and by the time you get to Rochester and Buffalo, the people are different. Downstaters rarely have a reason to go to western NY, and hence, there's really no downstate influence there.

I'd say Syracuse is the demarcation line of eastern NY attitudes and western NY attitudes. Right down to I-81, on the east, it definitely feels more east coast, even a bit Long Islandish (well, Suffolk Countyish anyway). Opposite on the west side. There's also a major demarcation in PA once you go west of Harrisburg- its palpable.

Basically, you get a little more of this in eastern NY:
http://www.dailyrepublic.com/files/2...s-1024x713.jpg

And a little more of this is western NY (and western PA):
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/18506000...ab898a455d.jpg

Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
For Syracuse, I usually say that the Eastern suburbs are more New England/Downstate in look/feel, the Northern suburbs are more like Canadian suburbs/communities, the Western suburbs are more Midwestern and the towns to the South are more like PA and places further south along I-81. This is in terms of look/feel/character, not necessarily people.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I see a pretty big difference between people from Albany and people from the western part of the state. To me, Albany is still on the fringe of the Bos-Wash corridor. The northern suburbs of NYC peter out in Northern Dutchess, and the Albany southern suburbs end in southern Colombia county- not a huge break in between.

I understand it's not in Bo-Wash, but the towns north of Albany have heavy vacation areas for people from downstate, NJ, CT, Boston, etc. You will not find a city like Saratoga Springs or Lake George anywhere else in the state.

Its more cosmopolitan, fast paced, and people there have a mix of upstate and downstate influences. As you go west, it changes, and by the time you get to Rochester and Buffalo, the people are different. Downstaters rarely have a reason to go to western NY, and hence, there's really no downstate influence there.

I'd say Syracuse is the demarcation line of eastern NY attitudes and western NY attitudes. Right down to I-81, on the east, it definitely feels more east coast, even a bit Long Islandish (well, Suffolk Countyish anyway). Opposite on the west side. There's also a major demarcation in PA once you go west of Harrisburg- its palpable.

I have to disagree 100% with this post.
Regarding the pics you posted. The king of the hill thing is found in any rural area, no matter which part of the state you are in. In the city and suburban areas of Rochester, Buffalo, Cuse, Albany you will really not find that anyways. The jersey shore look I've found to be most visible in Rochester. All upstate cities have high Italian populations so you'll find that look in all cities, but I see it most in Rochester. Not bragging either since that is an aspect I hate about the area.
I see no downstate influence in Albany. Maybe the exception of Saratoga in the summertime with the annoying tourists. It is much much much more laid back than the bosh wash area, more in line with a place like Rochester as far as pace of life. If anything it is less cosmopolitan than Rochester or Buffalo since it is smaller. But not by much.
I really am at a loss where you are coming from with your post.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Regarding the pics you posted. The king of the hill thing is found in any rural area, no matter which part of the state you are in. In the city and suburban areas of Rochester, Buffalo, Cuse, Albany you will really not find that anyways. The jersey shore look I've found to be most visible in Rochester. All upstate cities have high Italian populations so you'll find that look in all cities, but I see it most in Rochester. Not bragging either since that is an aspect I hate about the area.
I see no downstate influence in Albany. Maybe the exception of Saratoga in the summertime with the annoying tourists. It is much much much more laid back than the bosh wash area, more in line with a place like Rochester as far as pace of life. If anything it is less cosmopolitan than Rochester or Buffalo since it is smaller. But not by much.
Agreed. I ran this question by my sister in law who grew up in Albany. She said there's no noticeable difference in the people at all.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Ok, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

The 2nd picture, guido culture, is (sadly) probably more prominent in the Rochester area than anywhere else in the state outside of the NYC region. Especially in Irondequoit, Gates, and parts of Greece. (Full disclosure; I am 1/2 Italian myself and live in Greece!).

Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The 2nd picture, guido culture, is (sadly) probably more prominent in the Rochester area than anywhere else in the state outside of the NYC region. Especially in Irondequoit, Gates, and parts of Greece. (Full disclosure; I am 1/2 Italian myself and live in Greece!).
I actually meant to post it to represent that "guido" style, not necessarily the Italian culture. I am Italian as well, and there are many nationalities (Polish, Puerto Ricans, Irish, etc) that also dress and act like those 3. In fact, I believe the guy in the middle is of Puerto Rican ancestry.

I found pretty sizeable "guido culture" in areas around Albany, and the North Side of Syracuse too. But I don't doubt your statements, there's plenty of us I-talians in all NY cities.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Also, places like or similar to Lake George or Saratoga Springs in other parts of Upstate NY are: Skaneateles, Sackets Harbor, Canadaigua, Lewiston and Lake Placid, among some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York