U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,376,381 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd put up some picts showing summer scenes in Oswego. As you can tell I spend quite a bit of time by the water. We were named one of the 100 Best Places to Live (2007).

The riverwalk runs for miles through the center of town adjacent to downtown. It goes past a couple of marinas and the maritime district, a lakefront park on one side and the fort on the other side of the harbor, out to our great lake which Toronto is at the other end of. It's quite popular for concerts, fishing, and with walkers, or just to sit and watch the river flow by. There are also falls and manned locks for ships to pass upriver.

No place in town is more than 5 minutes away from this beautiful scene. Streets are very hilly and you can see the lake from several vantage points.

The salmon was caught at a tournament and is avg in size, some are much bigger. I have no idea who's in the picture.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-29-2007 at 11:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 PM

172 posts, read 794,615 times
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. The library is considered an architectural treasure, dating from the 1850s.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 AM

606 posts, read 585,356 times
thanks for sharing.
The photos are excellent and Bridges.JPG is my favorite one.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 AM

I wanted to point out that there's a county airport in Fulton, NY about ten miles from Oswego that is capable of handling small private jets in case anyone wants to fly over this way. I use to have a customer who flew in often from Boston to go fishing.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 AM

113 posts, read 317,758 times
Hello SGoldie.

Can one safely eat those mouth watering salmon that are caught out of your wonderful lake?

A friend gave me a Salmon caught in a Northern Maine lake...the flesh was white and it was the best Salmon I ever ate. However I am told..limit your intake.

PS I'm thinking about making a move to your beautiful area ( Oswego county ) I love old houses , good gardening and am a fool for Snow!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM

208 posts, read 612,098 times
Smile Beautiful Pictures

Sgoldie,

You and bella have posted some very lovely pictures! How very blessed you are to live in a gorgeous state.

I also love being near the water, so my heart just melts seeing the wonderful lakes.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Our lake is more like an inland freshwater ocean. It's huge! Hard to get use to small lakes after you've lived on this one.

Personally, I hate the taste of salmon. We are told to limit our eating of salmon though we are all big fish eaters here. We just eat other varities that come in from the coast.

YankeeTom, you are more than welcome to move here. The living is easy, no traffic, and right in the center of many beautiful places to visit. Houses are still affordable, the city is walkable, and recreation all around.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 AM

306 posts, read 1,527,997 times
Thanks for the great pictures, Sgoldie! And always a pleasure to read your postings here.

More pix, any time, always welcome!

Though you're killing (with admiring envy) those of us stuck in gloomy Appalachia with all the sparkling light and living charm of the Great Lakes town(s)!

Some pix of the surrounding villages would be great, too. I'd hate to see your quaintness spoiled with too many tourists, but few people know how lovely a lakeside tour around your area really is....

Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 90,772 times
Were you there for all of that snow this past winter? I go to school there and I was amazed by all the snow that it got, even by my standards.(I live near Buffalo.)

Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Yes, I was here for the snow. There was a lot but the storm season didn't last as long as it might have. We fall under the radar for the most part statistically because of our size. Got quite a few books read which was nice.

Homeward Bound, I'll see what I can do about getting pictures up of surrounding areas. Often I don't remember to bring my camera and then there're the times when I walk away with strictly water shots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York