U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM

145 posts, read 312,967 times
I live in Clifton Park, NY just North of Albany. I am from NY but I have lived in Colorado for the last 10 years. I missed the "tell it like it is" attitude that exists in NY...most people this far North are pretty nice but they are evil hostile bastards behind the wheel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2007, 07:46 PM

317 posts, read 672,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
...I always wondered how far one has to get away from New York City before the majority of people are more low keyed, friendly and lack that famous City attitude.

(Yes, I know many people living in New York are friendly nice people, but I still feel THE ATTITUDE)

...Close to New York City but far from THE ATTITUDE, where?
When you come to the city with a chip on your shoulder, don't complain when someone knocks it off!

Unread 07-30-2007, 09:51 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
When you come to the city with a chip on your shoulder, don't complain when someone knocks it off!

this could happen anywhere if you are being too cocky about yourself and how much better you are than the locals .....just go to some parts of the south to a bar or something and telll people they dont know half of what you know....im sure they will just sit there and say nothing....lol.....test it

Unread 07-31-2007, 12:47 AM

317 posts, read 672,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
this could happen anywhere if you are being too cocky about yourself and how much better you are than the locals .....just go to some parts of the south to a bar or something and telll people they dont know half of what you know....im sure they will just sit there and say nothing....lol.....test it
My point exactly. OP wants to get as get far from "NYC attitude" as possible and yet so many responded with positive descriptions of NYC and even that NYC attitude. If OP encounters such a hard time all over NYC, what is the common denominator in all those interactions? Yep, it's the OP! I mean, even just the wording of this thread's title seemed to be picking a fight! Hahaha! You get as good as you give, hence my "chip on shoulder" comment. As they say, "no matter where you go, there you are!"

Unread 07-31-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
My point exactly. OP wants to get as get far from "NYC attitude" as possible and yet so many responded with positive descriptions of NYC and even that NYC attitude. If OP encounters such a hard time all over NYC, what is the common denominator in all those interactions? Yep, it's the OP! I mean, even just the wording of this thread's title seemed to be picking a fight! Hahaha! You get as good as you give, hence my "chip on shoulder" comment. As they say, "no matter where you go, there you are!"

True.....its the same all over as far as people and thier attitudes and speaking bluntly....the only things different in places is the population (amount of azzholes), climate problems (hurricanes/tornados/ice storms), and scenery (just the way things look in a locals view).......there are a new batch of problems you arent used to in new places....so you cant say mine is worse than yours because they are all different.....i do agree with you on your reply

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 07-31-2007 at 03:17 AM..

Unread 07-31-2007, 07:51 AM

254 posts, read 714,821 times
I think these last several posts are getting away from the facts. There is indeed a very distinctive "attitude" in NYC and metro counties. At this point, I will not argue that it is neither good or bad. Right or wrong. Just that it can be quite intimidating. The best arguments for this is that it is more a survival tactic. When in NYC you turn it on. When other places, turn it off. Its not needed.
Yes, if you have an "attitude" about you, than you will get an attitude right back no matter where in the world you cop it. Now in the south they are quite gifted in the art of diplomacy. And their diplomacy is defined as the ability to tell someone to go to hell and actually have them look forward to the trip. I have walked away from a dear soul after a conversation and about 10 minutes later I scratch my head, squint my eyes a bit and with that sudden dawning of a revelation, think... "I believe I was just told to drop dead". but keep in mind, there was a "bless your heart" tucked nicely in there. Now, as for me, I like that bluntness. If someone wants me to drop dead I would rather they just tell me flat out. Really, the Southern way is much more effective because it just wallows in you mind for a while. "Darn, I just can believe they told me to drop dead"...... "how in the world did they do that?... Now back to NY, when someone blows you off, why, you just shoot back with ..."OH YEA?, chuck you too Farley!!!". Then boomyow! the whole thing is done & over. (you get the point)

Unread 07-31-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
I think these last several posts are getting away from the facts. There is indeed a very distinctive "attitude" in NYC and metro counties. At this point, I will not argue that it is neither good or bad. Right or wrong. Just that it can be quite intimidating. The best arguments for this is that it is more a survival tactic. When in NYC you turn it on. When other places, turn it off. Its not needed.
Yes, if you have an "attitude" about you, than you will get an attitude right back no matter where in the world you cop it. Now in the south they are quite gifted in the art of diplomacy. And their diplomacy is defined as the ability to tell someone to go to hell and actually have them look forward to the trip. I have walked away from a dear soul after a conversation and about 10 minutes later I scratch my head, squint my eyes a bit and with that sudden dawning of a revelation, think... "I believe I was just told to drop dead". but keep in mind, there was a "bless your heart" tucked nicely in there. Now, as for me, I like that bluntness. If someone wants me to drop dead I would rather they just tell me flat out. Really, the Southern way is much more effective because it just wallows in you mind for a while. "Darn, I just can believe they told me to drop dead"...... "how in the world did they do that?... Now back to NY, when someone blows you off, why, you just shoot back with ..."OH YEA?, chuck you too Farley!!!". Then boomyow! the whole thing is done & over. (you get the point)

i guess you are generalizing tha south because it sounds like you werent in a bar talkin to some "real" southern dudes when you were in the south.....ever watch Reno 911?....just take out the comedy and there are a couple guys that will show you what a southern attitude is like......those people will tell you they dont like "your kind" (whoever) to your face just like New Yorkers will tell southerners to "F" off when they hear that deep southern accent....the accent is the only thing that seperates tha attitudes....there are A-holes everywhere......EXAMPLE.....look at two famous characters from both areas .....John McClaine (bRUCE wILLIS) from Die Hard ....... and then......Stone Cold Steve Austin from WWE.......they both tell it like it is.......u cant say Stone Cold Wouldnt make it in NYC or Bruce Willis wouldnt make it in the south

Unread 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,478 times
Cool Attitude, Shmattitude

Cmon Dingler -- how about moving to the DC area where people seem to delight in displaying rudeness and bad manners towards people they perceive to be "outsiders" or "furriners" or "different" ???

Where even the transporation system stinks AND the football and baseball teams stink-- becuz everything here is either done in slow motion or neanderthal motion, and common sense seems to have been flushed down the toilet.

I'll take the refreshing, in-your-face, no holds barred, brisk NY Attitude anytime!! They ACCEPT you just the way you are!!!!

And the bagels and knishes and pizza in NY City are a h*lluva lot beter than the cardboard look-alikes they sell here in you-all town.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM

254 posts, read 714,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
i guess you are generalizing tha south because it sounds like you werent in a bar talkin to some "real" southern dudes when you were in the south.....ever watch Reno 911?....just take out the comedy and there are a couple guys that will show you what a southern attitude is like......those people will tell you they dont like "your kind" (whoever) to your face just like New Yorkers will tell southerners to "F" off when they hear that deep southern accent....the accent is the only thing that seperates tha attitudes....there are A-holes everywhere......EXAMPLE.....look at two famous characters from both areas .....John McClaine (bRUCE wILLIS) from Die Hard ....... and then......Stone Cold Steve Austin from WWE.......they both tell it like it is.......u cant say Stone Cold Wouldnt make it in NYC or Bruce Willis wouldnt make it in the south
Yes, you are right, I have never been the bar goer type nor never worked directly in construction fields where you will find the type you mention. But since you mentioned it, yes the drawl is the only thing separating the attitude in many cases. I have seen some of the "good ole boy" types from a distant and know exactly what you mean. But even they have this certain way with their "smart-mouth" comments in telling someone off. To me, anyway, it comes across as a very superior attitude. The "jerks" in the North are just merely "blowhards" and dont ask me to define the difference. I dont really know. Maybe just a matter of "style"

Unread 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

709 posts
I love the NYC attitude. Kinda like the George Carlin rant, and the wildfire headed up the coast to NYCity and NYCity said FU&K you to the fire and the fire went around NYCity and headed north thru conn.....

I moved down south and must say I LOVE the attitude of a new yawka, the BS that southerns talk to you about is mind numbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York