U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 AM

37 posts, read 69,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doryy View Post
I have lived in the south (western NC) for 20 years now...My husband is being relocated by his company to Ithaca and we made a scouting trip up there a few weeks ago...I can not wait to move! What a breath of fresh air! I can not wait to get away from the small town mentality and the confederate flag of hate. I LOVE upstate NY and can't wait to get there! I love NC too, it will always be home...but for better or worse, a lot of the south is stuck in the past so I understand where you are coming from with your remarks. Ithaca is just like western NC but without the mountains and the arcaic attitudes towards change, growth and acceptance of other races and cultures. I am counting the days!
If you look at proposals on the city books, you will see that Ithaca is replete with archaic attitudes towards change, etc. You will either live the college/university life, and be one of 'them', or you will be 'something else', unless you are a local. Then, you can detest all the former.

We have to stop fleeing to dreams that do not exist, that cannot exist because we are all too human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,928,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
If you look at proposals on the city books, you will see that Ithaca is replete with archaic attitudes towards change, etc. You will either live the college/university life, and be one of 'them', or you will be 'something else', unless you are a local. Then, you can detest all the former.

We have to stop fleeing to dreams that do not exist, that cannot exist because we are all too human.
Way too philosophical for this forum yet true. I get the impression people are fleeing where they are in search of places that don't exist. There are no Utopias: everywhere you go, dogs will bark, people will drive recklessly, neighbors will annoy you, teachers will disappoint you, you'll sit too long in the doctor's office, rain will wreck the picnic, restaurant food will suck as will jobs....etc.etc.etc...

I wonder if the view from the Hubble Telescope shows Americans just running around in circles from city to city, trailing behind big orange U Haul trucks!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM

857 posts, read 3,233,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I get the impression people are fleeing where they are in search of places that don't exist. There are no Utopias: everywhere you go, dogs will bark, people will drive recklessly, neighbors will annoy you, teachers will disappoint you, you'll sit too long in the doctor's office, rain will wreck the picnic, restaurant food will suck as will jobs....etc.etc.etc...

How right you are! I think that many of us have a Norman Rockwell painting stuck in our head and we move from place to place trying to figure out how we can live in the painting. That "It's a Wonderful Life" town might exist, but it has just as many Mr Potters as it does George Baileys living there. (I'm showing my age!)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 AM

134 posts, read 372,519 times
And perhaps there are many of that really do move to suit their reasonable needs and then don't complain afterwards? Afterall... isn't this post where people come to complain?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM

254 posts, read 771,185 times
Default in search of ourselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Way too philosophical for this forum yet true. I get the impression people are fleeing where they are in search of places that don't exist. There are no Utopias: everywhere you go, dogs will bark, people will drive recklessly, neighbors will annoy you, teachers will disappoint you, you'll sit too long in the doctor's office, rain will wreck the picnic, restaurant food will suck as will jobs....etc.etc.etc...

I wonder if the view from the Hubble Telescope shows Americans just running around in circles from city to city, trailing behind big orange U Haul trucks!
I am going out to look for myself, if I should get back before I return could someone please keep me here.

I agree that this forum has been a great place to vent and discuss what it is we are all looking for but the above quote may well be the most valuable observation in the entire thread
Was having a real heart to heart with the Mrs. last night discussing our own likes & dislikes in different locations. I have gone back & forth between NY & NC totaling 23 years in both places. Just returned to NY 1 yr ago and already I feel hopeless in my ability to live comfortably within my means and afford a decent home. I began pondering whether I made a mistake coming back. I even thought of Maine where all my geneology stems from. With the majority of our priorities pointing to Eastern NY, I believe we will just bloom where we are planted. I have done my share of trashing the south and sprawl but yet here I sit in a very sprawled out area. If we were honest, we could go back & forth with both good & bad in every place. Even NC. There is some great qualities there and I have to come to grips with it. There will always be a part of me there but now I have to go on. I'm here, I'm tired and with all this information on everywhere in the world, it just gets more & more confusing. I have found the place that matches 'most' of what I am looking for and I just believe I will throw my anchor overboard and hang out till I die.

The only other option is if your rich enough, pick you out the 2 best places and do like the FL snowbirds and live modestly in 2 places for half a year. Or do like we did years ago. Live in NY and set up a permenant trailer in a campground in Maine and just go over every other weekend for the whole summer.
Best wishes all y'all :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM

709 posts, read 90,065 times
Oh man saw a custom home development in saratoga springs this past weekend, Oh man get me out of North carolina and back up north!!!! I am seriously going to work a second and third job to save 100K and be able to buy that 525K house up there and leave the triangle of North Carolina next yera! 2 years down here will be enough. Been here 1 year and its everything that I hated in NJ except the cost of housing. Now when I sell the house down here and have the extra 100K I can have an 80K mortgage on that fantastic house up there.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,134 times
Default I Miss Ny

My husband and I grew up on Long Island then about 10 years after we married we moved upstate to Wurtsboro. We moved to Las Vegas in September 2005, been here almost 2 years now. Let me tell you, and I know this will sound strange, we are soooo tired of the sunshine It is dirty, hot, crowded and BROWN here. We are currently looking/hoping to move back to NY; upstate, like Downsville, Delhi, Delancy, Hamden, or anywhere to be honest. Just gotta find a job and house then we are outta here Can't wait to get back to the change of seasons, instead of warm, hot, and hotter still. From Homesick NYer Teri D

Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,928,313 times
I saw the perfect "answer" today to the question so many of us ponder: where IS the best place in the country? It was a full-sized bus-camper pulling behind it a lovely little Prius. As it's owner loaded it with groceries from Wegmans, I had to fight the urge to throw myself at their feet and beg to be taken along. I'm sure they were heading on a New England Leaf-Peeping tour up through NY to Vermont and NH and MA onto Maine then heading south before the snow flies to relish the winters of Florida or west to Arizona....

That, my friends, is the perfect place to be; inside that camper heading to parts unknown ........

Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,624,730 times
My boyfriend and I were actually thinking of moving from LI to Las Vegas. We love it out there. It's just too bad the teacher pay is pitiful. That's why we're staying here.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,428 times
I live in Raleigh, NC and have lived in NC 14 years and I am more than ready to move back home - to New York State. Have had enough of this crap down here. Southern Hospitality - A Hollywood Myth. They're still fighting the "war". I guess they don't know that they lost and they should get over it. Have had enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York