Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 42,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What a nutshell description of what it's been like here in NC. And perhaps New Yorkers can understand why there is resentment towards them when they move here. It was truly an "open the floodgates" situation a few years ago ( and it seems to me that it still is, to a degree) with thousands coming from NYC/NJ/LI, many having no clue what NC was actually like nor caring, just "grabbing a cheap place" (this sort of things was once called "carpetbagging"). Many of these people had NO interest in the history, culture, or people of the area, and didn't leave their "big city" ways behind and didn't give a hoot about "When in Rome, do as the Romans". Many spend their days telling southerners "Why do you do ____ like that? You should do it the way we do up in New York!" (and that's among the more polite ways of wording it). When you have heard that over and over for years, not to mention the whole "You people sure do talk funny down here" with an unmistakeable tone of condescension, what, pray tell, are folks supposed to think about New Yorkers (which includes NJ/LI)?

Every area of the US has its own customs and "ways", whether Midwestern, New England, Texan, Hawaiian, Seattlite, Southern, or NYC. But I would say that two that are most different from each other are Southern and NYC, so there is most potential for clashing when a Southern state is "invaded" by thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers in a VERY short time, many (not all) who bring the "Noo Yawk attitude" as well as generally louder, more aggressive, in-your-face personalities, there is going to be clash and resentment. It's similar to how Oregon has a big resentment for Californians, moving to OR by the tens of thousands. Any time one group relocates in such huge numbers to somewhere else, there will be clashes of the cultures, as the natives resent the newcomers' coming in and "taking over" and trying to make everything just like it was where they left (which of course brings up the not-so-rhetorical question, "if everything in NY was so wonderful and NC is so backwards, then why don't you go back?")

It's a matter of scale, and until the "firehose" is turned off from NY->NC migration, there is going to be resentment, just as there would be if some other state were sending people by the 10,000s into your own neighborhood and they weren't interested in the area/history/local customs, but instead just whined and complained about how it wasn't like what they were used to.
well... it's not only that they should assimilate to our culture. The problem is they're not part of our culture and for someone from a completely opposite culture to assimilate into our culture would take decades, in most cases it's impossible. add to that the massive numbers that are flooding into our state and it will continue to fragment the state and destroy our culture. I even considered leaving the state myself but decided against it because I fear that if I leave, my state will continue to become more like the rest of the country and lose it's distinct southern culture. I have to preserve my culture at all cost. and if that means being almost militant about it than so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

132 posts, read 446,287 times
Some of us have made mistakes and some have made choices that will benefit our future. Sometimes it takes the grass not to be greener on the other side to experience life away from home. Most times you only realize that life was good until you are missing what you are used to and took it for granted. So don't think you have made a mistake, just think of it as a lesson and you know what it is like to live outside of NY.

Last edited by BKATL; 03-23-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
When I move I highly doubt I'd feel like its a mistake unless I moved to a Jungle or something, there will be no regrets because I actually want to move for multiple reasons. I don't hate NY but not everyone is meant to live here.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
My wife and I have friends who moved from the NYC area to Raleigh and/or Charlotte and one of the things these friends noticed was the NY "clique" that had developed over the short time they were there. This "clique" was comprised of folks who moved out of the NY area, hoping to find a less hectic way of life yet went in with their NY attitude and tried to change everything to suit their lifestyle, rather than adjusting to the style of living in NC. I have moved several times in my own life around the U.S.and one thing I have found that it is much easier to learn to readjust and blend in with the folks around you rather than come in and try to change it to your way of liking. Otherwise, you run the risk of not have any friends in a very short amount of time.

During the last two times my wife and I have been to NC, we have found them to be open, friendly and easy to talk to. We never encountered any animosity from them, even when we admitted we were from the NY area because we didn't act like it and they appreciated it.

NYC is a tough place to live and one develops a way to deal with it, whatever way that is. Don't get me wrong though, there are a lot of very nice people who live here and I have some good friends I have become close with. However, after I came from the west to marry my wife, who was born in NY, we both have grown to dislike living here and want to move south one day. We will not be bringing anything remotely linked to our NYC lifestyle because that is exactly what we are trying to move away from. To those NYer's who wish to move back to NY, we'll gladly switch places with you in a heartbeat!!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 27,553 times
Wow, so much bitterness towards NYers here. If NC people or anyone else for that matter became my neighbor I'd welcome them! Above all else we are all AMERICANS and if people want to move to other parts of AMERICA - no matter what the state - there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I've lived in NY all my life and I do hate it here. I'm self employed so I wouldn't be taking a job from anyone if I moved to NC! I also had surgery recently (January) due to back issues and shoveling snow is not an option for me anymore. My family lives in NY so I'd like to live within driving distance in case they need me. So "forgive me" for me wanting to move somewhere warmer, where I think I would be happier and more comfortable, yet still be available to family in NY.

Anyone (NC residents) who has resentment from NY'ers just because they are moving down South should be ashamed of themselves. We're all AMERICANS. We should all be a lot nicer to each other and more welcoming of our neighbors, no matter who they are.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYhater View Post
Wow, so much bitterness towards NYers here. If NC people or anyone else for that matter became my neighbor I'd welcome them! Above all else we are all AMERICANS and if people want to move to other parts of AMERICA - no matter what the state - there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I've lived in NY all my life and I do hate it here. I'm self employed so I wouldn't be taking a job from anyone if I moved to NC! I also had surgery recently (January) due to back issues and shoveling snow is not an option for me anymore. My family lives in NY so I'd like to live within driving distance in case they need me. So "forgive me" for me wanting to move somewhere warmer, where I think I would be happier and more comfortable, yet still be available to family in NY.

Anyone (NC residents) who has resentment from NY'ers just because they are moving down South should be ashamed of themselves. We're all AMERICANS. We should all be a lot nicer to each other and more welcoming of our neighbors, no matter who they are.
You can't be the type of person who makes their username "NYhater" and be liked and fit in well in NC...or most places for that matter.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 27,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You can't be the type of person who makes their username "NYhater" and be liked and fit in well in NC...or most places for that matter.
LOL that's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Because I don't like NY (ok, I HATE it) that means I won't be liked or fit in "anywhere" ?? ROFL

Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYhater View Post
LOL that's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Because I don't like NY (ok, I HATE it) that means I won't be liked or fit in "anywhere" ?? ROFL
Yes. Because what you may find out (or at least anyone who will spend much time around you will find out) is that in general; when people "hate" a place and the other people in it; it's usually is more of a personality problem than a problem with their current location. You said yourself you've lived in NY your whole life. Thus you've never lived anywhere else; and thus it's probably more of a personality issue if you "hate" ny so much and one that, especially if someone is unaware of or in denial about; will follow them wherever they go. The walkways to the therapists offices throughout the sunbelt are paved with the souls of individuals who thought that moving from a place they "hated" would make them happier people.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 PM

71 posts, read 212,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!
Aw, I feel that way when I vacation almost. It's nice the first few days and then I just miss the Northeast some much, I love New York, but it's something about just the Northeast in general even, It's some, there's something for everyone in the Northeast, New York, and SOOO much opportunity. I know how southerners are. You're like them or get out or they're shoot you to death with bullets or words or hatred. Southern people almost always automatically hate Northerners. I'd never live down there. And Florida, yuck! The weather down there, It's UNBEARABLE! New York, I LOVE YOU! I know what you mean, I love New York and the Northeast so much, it's the greatest place I've ever known, and I'd pay out of my ass for it too bro, any day, you make good money anyways lol.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM

71 posts, read 212,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some of you who moved are displaying obvious "pizza withdrawal symptoms."
We need to get obese southerns a Smash Burger facilities. LOL!
(
YouTube - Smashburger interview with News 2)

And if they move up to our beautiful coast, like a lot of smart southerners do, we'll call it Smash Syndrome when they miss home.

And I suppose y'all down south'll call it Pizza Syndrome when we miss our beautiful home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York