Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

I just think any place is what you make of it. It all depends on your attitude, expectations, lifestyle, and overall happiness. I dislike certain areas in general myself, but I know there are cool people everywhere. I just think it has a huge part to do with your interests, situation, and lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
I'm a trasnsplanted NY(upstate) yankee currently living in East Tn. I can't say I have ever experienced the attitude you have. Everyone has been welcoming, friendly and never made a comment on my being a yankee.
I also never had an attitude towards any southerner nor have I ever compared the north to the south except in pointing out the differences I liked about the south.
I have seen other yankees get treated as you say, but in all honesty they deserved it. Those yankees constantly complained, pointed out how the north was better, blah, blah. If the north is so much better, go back to being taxed to death and not being able to afford a lifestyle. And ignorance is alive and thriving in NY too, don't fool yourself in thinking that the south has the market cornered on ignorance. Ignorance lives all over the country.
Pam

Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I'm seeing a pattern here: southerners can rip on NY like we're the plague (we're bossy, our snow is so much worse than their humidity, we're bossy, we're trying to alter their south, we're bossy...) but say ONE thing against NC and the pin's been pulled...I know there's a prevalent Rebel/Yankee attitude in the south as I spent plenty of time there visitng cousins as a youth ... I'm not trying to be funny.....there are certainly negative attitudes passed down through generations and this may be the most overlooked one.....
You forget that Southerners have been treated this way by "Yankees" for generations. Just search "Alabama" on all City-Data forums and you'll see our state, and the South, used as a term interchangeable for "racist, ignorant, hate-filled, stupid." It has been passed down through generations because that is how we have been treated when we venture out of the South. We remember the War Between the States because we lost ancestors in the war, we find minnie balls when we dig in our gardens, we live next to the battlefields. The poverty that enveloped the South after the war still lives in our grandparents' memories, and we have just begun emerging from that with this generation. Until the 1960s, thanks to tariff regulations, it cost more for a company to ship its product to the South than it did to ship it across to the opposite coast. No reason except for prejudicial regulations. So you see, much of this is defensive. Forgive us.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,537 times
That's exactly what most people say about leaving NY, until time passes in those "green pastures." You'll know what you're missing when it's too late. I did, and I came back to NY, because you can't escape it. Besides, you make NYC sound like it's supposed to be a white bread convention "nobody speaks English-- uh, that's been going on since the city started. You must not know what NYC is, even if you lived there for 20 years.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,021 times
Default Hey, I miss New York too!!

My husband and I moved here to yehaw Tennessee almost 4 yrs ago. We miss NY too. These "folk" dont like us yankees either. We get treated the same way. Im a native New Yorker and I want to go home! Only thing is, our house has been on the market for 3 yrs. Im thinking of reducing it for the 3rd time and just take the loss. Good luck to you, and me too, I'll need it!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Wow! What a lot of hurt feelings. Can I play devil's advocate? If someone really wants to move from NY-a wonderful place-then I found from experience that a successful move requires that the mover knows that there is a huge difference in culture outside of NY. You will be giving up some real good stuff to get something else. It doesn't come free. Soft winters you will have and good crusty Italian bread you won't.
You are moving to an area that was occupied by foreign troops, burned, and beaten into the ground from the War. They are still recovering and therefore it means something to them. The victors went on with their lives while the vanquished struggled to survive. So what if you are called a Yankee. You need a bit of toughness. Take it on the chin and make nice. For heaven's sake, the South has been the butt of jokes for years. You are leaving NY and that means you have to expect some things won't be there you love and there will be some new things you don't love. In the South they ask about your church-but they don't drag you and make you go. You might even be a bit of a curiousity.
I was never comfortable with the "yes ma'am" and "yes, sir" that southern children learn. Nothing against it but it wasn't part of my upbringing. So I couldn't instill it in my son. It was a wee bit of a problem. These things will happen. Know it isn't all going to be a piece of cake. Know what it is you are looking for and keep your eye on the prize. Don't do this on a whim or one day because you got stuck in snow! Do your homework. And if you want culture, sophistication, and openmindedness, search it out before you move. Don't land in the middle of nowhere. Look for a university town, a large city, or progressive middle-sized town. They do exist.
You will go through the 5 stages of culture shock-- 1. excitement at the new locale. 2. missing home and complaining about the differences. and comparing things- gathering with others from your neck of the woods and railing against the locals. 3. some acceptance and taking on some aspects of the new culture and 4. eventual assimilation. 5. HA! You go home again and experience reverse culture shock!
It is a little more complex than this. Google it and read before you move. Be prepared for it. Some of you are leaving your new home in the second stage of culture shock.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkesse View Post
That's exactly what most people say about leaving NY, until time passes in those "green pastures." You'll know what you're missing when it's too late. I did, and I came back to NY, because you can't escape it. Besides, you make NYC sound like it's supposed to be a white bread convention "nobody speaks English-- uh, that's been going on since the city started. You must not know what NYC is, even if you lived there for 20 years.
Who in heck are "most people" ????/ I for one am a displaced New Yorker who is happy as hell to be away from that overpriced rat race...speak for yourself/

Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Who in heck are "most people" ????/ I for one am a displaced New Yorker who is happy as hell to be away from that overpriced rat race...speak for yourself/
They did state "most"....you're the rest!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
See, so it happens in Charlotte to? It's everywhere and won't really get much better. We are in Zebulon NC. I never treated newcomers to my area in NY the way some, not all treat you here. Are you back north now??
That's cause nobody wants to move to your area except possibily illegal aliens....if even they are interested. Your pomposity and arrogance turns people off. i came upon this thread cause it was on top in the forum. You people alreayd messed up Maryland, especially the areas about Washington, D.C. changing our pace of life. People here used to friendly like further south, strangers used to talk to one another, people would let you pass if you signaled instead of speed up to prevent you from passing just for the sake of preventing you.

You New Yorkers, New Jerseyans and Californians move ot other places and force us to change to be just like you. You want a slower pace of life. Whenever you move to a town, your destory the town and transform it to all fast food, chain restaurants and big box stores because that's the way it is in New Jersey. You destroy our local businesses and want the SOuth to be like your hometown where everyone is greedy and materialistic where if your waitress is nice she's just acting because she wants an extra big tip rather than her really being nice like in the south and the midwest.

Ya'll destroyed my state and my community even more than the illegals. At least many illegals upon finding out that in America you don't blast your radio at 1AM or litter everywhere they actually make an effort to change and respect us. You New YOrkers are different. You refuse to change the way you act and respect the way we do things in the rest of the nation. You honk when someone makes a complete stop at a stop sign. You curse when someone is nice and slows down to let another car pass.

Guess what we don't want your here in Maryland, North Carolina, FLORIDA, or anywhere. I'm glad your taking your Hillary Clinton loving arrogant, pushy selves back to New York.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
My state of Maryland was in the Union in the Civil War and I'm Asian American (my parents are immigrants) and I still hate the North outside of all this.

First of all ya'll dont' respect our way of life and your destroy whatever place you move to. I can never go back to the little town I grew up in because you've turned it into all mini-malls and fast food. You come here with your shallow tastes like you go into communities across America and you homogenize us. You refuse to adapt to our way of life. You refuse to acknowledge or show any interest in the way we do things...you insist on doing things your way and your way alone.

Also I am sick and tired of everyone from the north looking down on anyone outside the Northeast and Calilfornia, all your endless comments about "hicks" and "rednecks" and "trailer trash". This uppitiness and arrogance and intolerance really turns people off. You also give Americans a bad name and are responsible for a lot of the values problems happening in this country today.

Sorry for being bitter but after Virginia Tech I can't help but think its the culture you people have created that contributed to the tragedy. Your PC tolerance of Goths, punks, heavy metal music, death metal. Your taking our guns away so we can't protect ourselves. Your always blaming the victim for any tragedy the way you think the shooter being teased gave him a right to murder innocent poeple or how the U.S. somehow desrved 9-11 because of our foreign policy. How you people laugh and take pleasure in disasters in the south like the floods in Texas.

You can tell from that female reporter on ABC News that she thinks the Texans she's reporting about are beneath her and her arrogance shows through in her voice as she was reporting for Charles Gibson tonight. You people always laugh like we deserve hurricanes and all and the same thing happens when tornados hit the Midwest. Also Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and Ted Kennedy with their arrogant, self-righteous know it all attitude epitomizes everything that we hate about New York and the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York